The Villainess' Maker - Ch. 18

@Superkrza " I wonder why we all started believing that...?" It was most likely due to media portraying corsets in a negative light. From what I know, corsets naturally fell out of fashion in 1920s and got replaced with a girdle then a bra, so anti-corset propaganda is fairly new.
Vintage photos and people being naive are to blame as well, they probably seen victorian photos with ant waists which were just cleverly overpainted (equivalent on todays photoshop) and that one old drawing of how supposedly organs looks like in a corset (which is completly wrong as well, organs does not get deformed like that)

I understand how those knowledgeable about corsets could find this chapter frustrating as they were pretty comparable to bras in terms of life-threateningness. However, there are certain kinds of corsets that do cave in your stomach and can be pretty uncomfortable and damaging so ill just assume that's they use those kinds of corsets for my own mental wellbeing

4wa1tf.jpg

the salt dropped a meme *you are blessed*

Dex-chan lover
@strawbabs SAME.... same.... lace over-tightening wasn't common... But I am telling myself. Hey these are super high class ladies, AND they were in a book written by the protag when she was younger. So it's likely in the novel she *wrote*, she kinda just included historical tropes she's read about.

Maybe it'd even add to her guilt for their torsos...

Aaah I’m happy I’m not the only one who is disturbed by the whole anti-corset trope going here! <3

I had to tell myself that maybe, those corsets they were wearing were excruciating BECAUSE HER TEENAGE SELF WROTE IT AS SUCH. So in a way, Ayla, in her pure ignorance and blinded by mass media portrayal of corset wrote in her fic that everyone wore 13inch waist tight lacing corsets xD

Other than that I encourage everyone to go watch Bernadette’s YouTube video about corsets and educate yourself - they were no different than today’s bras or shapewears. Heck, even Drag Queens wear corsets and they are totally fine with it!

Ayla read so much about European women’s fashion but didn’t even learn about the undergarments lolololol

Corsets aren't all bad but like anything, too much/all the time isn't good. There's certainly women who wouldn't have done it safely (after all, why slowly reduce the waist when you can try to go straight to as small as possible). If you wear it while eating, it's not gonna be comfortable and there's potential for some medical issues there. If corsets are done improperly, they can also affect breathing, etc.

Also you just know that no one at a ball is gonna wear it comfortably. Nah, they're gonna make it as tiny as possible to have an itty bitty waist.

Getting that distinct hourglass shape doesn't only involve tightening the waist, I think 🤔
I know in the case of Edwardian era fashion they added kind of like padding to the busts, and they fluffed out the skirts of the dresses to make the hips appear wider to give the illusion of a curvier silhouette. While the fashion in this probably isn't Edwardian-inspired, I'm sure there are other examples throughout history where they do something similar in a way that doesn't harm the wearer. I do agree that there were women who wanted to go all the way and just destroy all of their organs via insanely tight corsets, but again, the minority shouldn't define the majority. My point is that I understand that FMC here thinks that all corsets are harmful, which I genuinely believe is just plain false

If I misunderstood, though, I'm happy to be corrected!

Is it weird to think that Cordelia was actually a guy at first when we just saw her head or more exactly the shape of her head ?

I see people discussing this here. But the whole corset thing isn't anti corsets in general, it is anti wearing the way corsets were worn back then. Non of us can deny that the beauty standards back then and even now aren't insane on many levels.
To get a perfect hourglass form with as small a waist as possible you'd have to tighten a corset. If I remember correctly, I'm almost certain I read that women back then used to suffer greatly from shortage of breath to other complications due to how much they would tighten their corsets.

Of course today we know how to do this the right way, but even so there are still those who overdo it.

Tl;Dr
The manga and author aren't anti corsets, but anti insane beauty standards a.k.a tightening corsets to the point of displacing your organs and causing yourself issues just to look a certain way.

Well I wish I could tell the author corsets aren't as bad as they may think...

I wrote out detailed responses to multiple people about corsets, agreeing with that one person who mentioned a youtuber and others who don't seem to really understand corsets TWICE and they both got deleted BECAUSE OF THIS STUPID TRACKPAD AND I SWEAR TO GOD IT DELETED EVEN MORE TIMES DURING WRITING THIS. THE ANGER I'M FEELING RIGHT NOW MAN..

I thought it was the 2nd ml or something 😌 it turns out to be the princess. Killian holding back his laughter though 🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread