The Witch's Hammer - Malleus Maleficarum

Dex-chan lover
Earlier, this story became outstanding, but in the last two chapters it was if the mangaka either was told suddenly to wrap it up or just didn't know how to sustain it.

Can you say, 'rushed'?

I'll be looking forward to more from this artist, regardless.

Dex-chan lover
@isekaijin If you mean Chloe,
I suspect she kind of broke from pressure. She was playing as Robin Hood, but she had moral qualms about it all. Because of that, she was already burdened about whether what she was doing was right or wrong. Add Meifa being an amoral, badly nurtured witch with insane powers, who was the center of many bad things that happened around Chloe that Chloe felt responsible for, she probably shattered and Meifa ended up as the new building base she centered herself around. She knew that helping this broken bird of a witch live a normal life without using her absolutely insane powers to kill people was definitely Good without a reasonable doubt in her mind and viewed it as her only lifeline to atone for her years of guiltily robbing people for the good of others.

That's just my viewpoint, though. Using Alignments, she was a Lawful Good person forced into a Chaotic Good role.

This is really good. I wish the author had one or two more chapters to round out a few things. It weakens the ending a bit because of it.

But holy cow this is a good read. Strongly recommend.

This story really needs a tragedy tag. It's well deserving for it and it would prevent others being fooled by the cover and synopsis into thinking this is cute adventure yuri only to get hit very quickly by the tragedy-hammer

Contributor
The second half of this wallows in it's own yandere-ish melodrama so ludicrously, yet without spending the proper time to make any of it feel real, that it's impossible to feel much of any of the emotions that we're supposed to feel. Sometimes less would be more XD

My inability to take the last bits seriously, plus the fact that there's some misunderstandings resolved pretty peacefully, makes the flow of the story kind of anticlimatic in the end—which feels odd for this sort of suspense plot. It feels like it builds up to much ado about nothing after exhausting all its real drama in the first two thirds.

Also those girls need therapy.

@Sabruness:

Tragedy tags are generally for series that end badly. Occasionally one uses them for series where protagonists die part-way through. This is neither; technically only some side-characters die, even if they're relatively prominent ones, it's just unexpectedly dark. And most of the characters get a reasonably happy ending.

More appropriate in this case would be someone editing the description to give more of a hint as to what sort of series it is.

If you knew the original meaning of "Tragedy", you'd knew it means a drama with a bad, sad ending.
The adventure of the protagonist, who is doomed from the start and is fighting a losing battle.
This is certainly not the case here.
Sure they suffer a lot but that makes the ending so much sweeter. Expect for the guards though, rip.

Contributor
@roflcopter Honestly, I kind of expected Meifa to do her weird time warp healing magic on the guards after recovering her memories.

Not really a fan of how the yuri stuff was portrayed as obsessive and yandere like.

Overall I liked it though. Even if the ending seemed a bit rushed it was cool how everything connected and came together.

10/10 Instant classic.
Artstyle, story telling, everything. 10/10
Artstyle is expressive and paints the setting really well.
Plot is insane. Never once has any form of media hooked me to every page, every line, every word like Malleus Maleficarum.
Btw it definitely earns the drama tag (and shoujo ai) but I'll have to disagree about people in the comments mentioning tragedy.

Hopefully this review helps, it's worth the read.

10/10 Instant classic.
Artstyle, story telling, everything. 10/10
Artstyle is expressive and paints the setting really well.
Plot is insane. Never once has any form of media hooked me to every page, every line, every word like Malleus Maleficarum.
Btw it definitely earns the drama tag (and shoujo ai) but I'll have to disagree about people in the comments mentioning tragedy.

Hopefully this review helps, it's worth the read.
no it's not.
im a yuri fan looking for some girls love stuff but i did not found it on this.
for artstyle, yea, it's very nice and fit for Slice of Life style.
as for the plot, it's suck, girl killing girl, and just for some yandere bullshit selfish love and more importanly, it's described the story in a very Psycho way and I never expected a well story telling, or good character's personality from just 12 chapters so you do have a sh*t taste on this dont you ?
in the end, it's was just a stupid lame sh*t story and never deserve a girls love tag, so ...
fuck the author of this sh*t

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It was a bit rushed at the end. But I still think that it was great! With a few more chapters it could have been extraordinary.

Dex-chan lover
Convoluted and rushed at the end, it would of been pretty great if it had a couple more chapters to let it breath and play out the plot better.

Dex-chan lover
Binged it again after a few years and it's super good. Ending feels like it got axed but they still managed to wrap it up decently, though there's a few questions left unanswered and an epilogue would've been nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread