To Be Winner - Ch. 54 - Straighten Your Back

Group Leader
someone recently tipped me off on how to get bigger, better raws from kuaikan, so please enjoy cheng mo's beautiful face in higher quality. c:

a few thoughts on names and titles in this chapter:

1. cheng mo calls shen xin her 'little sister' (妹妹). nothing to do with biological sisterhood! using family terms as terms of endearment is really common in china.
2. as an example of that, cheng mo is referred to as 'senior' (学姐) in this chapter, but the chinese term literally means 'school older sister,' lol. i also hate translating this term because the easiest translation for it is 'senpai,' but it feels weird to use a japanese term in a chinese manhua, and i don't like leaving things in pinyin.
3. number 3 on the player list is named 惊枫 (jing feng). i left this name in pinyin because i'm not sure if it's a pun or not - literally it would probably translate to something like 'startled maple.' the 枫 (maple) part is taken from their real name (蓝枫 lan feng).
when i asked my handy-dandy dictionary app (read: mangadex user kamirror) if she thought this name was a pun, she said that it would have to be for 惊风 if it were one. but something tells me this guy isn't named after infantile convulsion disorder...

Kyaaaaa~ Big Sis Cheng Mo is awesome~ Suck on that slap, Qiu something-or-other! Double thumbs up for big sis d(≥v≤d=)~

@astarael unfortunately, we also have to see that jealous girl's face not just Cheng Mo haha

I think leaving it as senior is fine! More and more we're seeing that being used not just in the workplace but also in tertiary institutions - so all good.

Actually, astarael, do you know if eSports camps really are a thing in China? I've seen it before in a drama but it felt so out there I thought it was just a TV thing??

ah this update is lovely. chengmo is lovely. and xiao he playing along and calling her senior sjdhshd i love everyone in shenxin's circle. i'm sohappy my girl is being well cared of

Group Leader
@yannickq good question! i think esports training camps do exist - but they're usually a lot less glamorous than fiction makes them out to be, lol.

i'm mostly familiar with the league of legends scene, while the authors of tbw are mobile game fans - so this is a pretty narrow view of things, haha. there's no 'general' esports camp like you see here, but individual teams will often gather up-and-coming talent and offer them competitive training until they're ready for the main stage (or old enough to join a team - i.e. theshy was initially picked up as a streamer because he was too young to play!). you'll also see these teams offer 'youth camps' or other events, which are honestly just long tryouts for the team, lol.

i think this system is usually called an 'academy system' in the west, and there's a whole separate league for teams to have their academy teams compete with each other. if players do well, they may be promoted up to the main team.

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the chapter guys!!
merry christmas!! lmao

also thanks for the explanations, astarael!!

Users who are viewing this thread