To Your Eternity - Vol. 8 Ch. 68 - Flustered

Banned
Hmmm... wait wait wait.... so did the girl come back to life or did the copy he made of her come to life?

I'm betting on the latter, but nobody else has actually bothered to even ask the question.

In any case, if the copy he made of her came to life then this is exactly as I predicted ages ago back when he respawned that boat... that the "soul" stuff is complete nonsense and that lifeforms are just more objects he can recreate Gantz-style. I imagine even the whole thing with him needing them to be dead before he copies them is just a psychological condition he unwittingly placed on himself.

But the more pertinent question is whether the living copies he makes actually have the thoughts, memories and personalities of the original... or if they're just copies of himself in their form...

Actually... the real fun idea is this: What if he takes the form of a pregnant woman? I believe at least one of those defense corp successors was full-on pregnant when she visited him, right? Presumably he could do that, have the kid, change form, change back to her in her pregnant form again, have the kid a second time... Infinite human replicating machine. Mwahaha!
... Well, assuming he replicated what was inside her too and it didn't count as separate at that point. There is no guarantee that it wouldn't just result in an empty, stretched out womb... or a miscarriage.

Dex-chan lover
He first transformed into the girl, so the damage that killed her was healed, then separated from the body. Previously he would just create the body, including fatal damage. Maybe the soul can only move into body if the body can live, so that's why previous attempts didn't work.

"This girl must have died very young... I expect she wished to grow up together with you" -> How to destroy Fushi.

I think it makes sense.
Before this when granny died and whished to be reborn and be of help to Fushi the black hooded man said that she'll need to wait before the gates of heaven and he'll come for her before the guards take her away, or something along those lines.
Which would mean that the souls of the living linger around after they died until they're taken away.

And from that, I'd assume when Fushi made the copy of the body, the empty husk, the girl's soul could take over the body and so she essentially resurrected, with the same soul, but with a healthy body.

Also I'm guessing that the people he can turn into, instead of being taken away, they reside within him, I think that's why the prince can see the bear's shadow, so he'll probably be able to bring his companions back to life, but lose the ability to turn into them while they're alive (That's probably why black hooded guy keeps this as a secret).
This'd also explain why he can't take the form of living things until they die, and how the knockers take away his transformations.

Also because of the prince I'm guessing there are some kind of wandering souls/spirits too, and those are the people he's talking to, like the guy whit a spear in his head from a few chapters ago.

Dex-chan lover
I knew it! I'm not sure if I saw wrong but when Fushi replicated his OG body back in the prison, it looked as if he sighed or something!

@SotiCoto The literal proof that souls or 'Faie' exist in the context of this manga is right there gathered around Fushi, why are you still denying it? He probably can only revive the people whose souls are still around and have not departed yet, so it probably won't work on just anyone.

Banned
@maruchan99 : Because it is convention in manga to portray things like that in a metaphorical / imagined sense. I doubt it for exactly the same reason that I doubt in JJBA part 3 towards the end that the dead companions have literally returned as massive transparent heads floating in the sky.
I mean okay, Bon being able to see them began to raise its own questions in this regard, but it is still anything but proven.

@SotiCoto yeah but this is not the finale of a series where the protagonists are fondly remembering their fallen companions, souls are a pivotal concept in this manga's universe and they have been repeatedly shown interacting with living organisms so they're most certainly real, even the Black hooded guy appears as a mostly incorporeal existence. I understand doubting it if this was based around our own world but from the beginning this manga shows indication of a more fantastical setting, the creatures and other things in it are different from our own so we have no choice but to trust the reality of this particular world as it is shown to us.

Banned
@maruchan99 : It doesn't have to be a finale. That isn't a prerequisite.
And what you're saying about "our own world" vs "more fantastical setting" is largely irrelevant. The first law of speculative fiction is "like reality unless otherwise specified". There are plenty of "real world" series that have stupid shit like ghosts / souls, and a few fantasy series that don't. It isn't indicative, unfortunately.

In any case, when it comes to the concept of "souls" in any series, I tend to regard it as a flaw whether it is real in-narrative or not. It is particularly jarring that some authors treat the existence of such things as a given, or act like they don't inherently demand some sort of explanation. I'll tend to disbelieve such nonsense unless it is demonstrated beyond a doubt to be extant and necessary to the plot, and given the existence of unreliable narrators and misleading characters or events, the bar for proof is pretty fucking high...

@SotiCoto I said finale as a figurative example obviously it doesn't have to be, but anyways you make a valid point, in the context of this manga souls appear to be relevant to the plot and not simple visual metaphors but I understand why you wouldn't take their factual existence for granted. I myself also thought it might be just a way for the author to give closure for relevant characters in the aftermath of their deaths, and only once they specifically portrayed some of the characters (not all) making the active choice of following Fushi around instead of passing on that I started thinking there was something more to it.

Wait so when fushi's husk back in the prison island opened his eyes that was foreshadowing this?

I had him pegged for annoying cunt from chapter 1, but never did I consider he would be an irredemable bastard

Fed-Kun's army
Johann and Boy aren't in the procession because they already travelled to the other side. The others keep going with Fushi.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, Fushi can bring the dead back to life?
And this black hood spirit god motherfucker KNEW?

Aggregator gang
I somehow doubt he can actually bring people back to life. My expectation is that the husk he creates is just that - a husk. Maybe it can maintain some vital signs, but still just a husk. After all, the dialogue only said "her body is warm" and she's "breathing", followed by a letter saying she's "alive". A comatose person is alive, but not "alive" in the Divine Miracle sense of the word.

Users who are viewing this thread