Toaru Kagaku no Mental Out

Dex-chan lover
Is the translator going to do this whole series without realizing "psych out" is available?

Dex-chan lover
It's literally mental out in japanese.
Like mentaru outto.
Thanks, that makes sense.

I guess I want translations to sound as good & sensible in English as they (presumably) did in the original language. But in this case, maybe the original wasei-eigo title was always meant to sound weird and nonsensical, even to Japanese readers? I dunno...

Dex-chan lover
Thanks, that makes sense.

I guess I want translations to sound as good & sensible in English as they (presumably) did in the original language. But in this case, maybe the original wasei-eigo title was always meant to sound weird and nonsensical, even to Japanese readers? I dunno...
I've always assumed it's a part of the creator's aesthetic. Imagine Breaker, the OG engrish example from Kamachi, has a great sonority to it, even if the english is totally wack.

Dex-chan lover
I've always assumed it's a part of the creator's aesthetic. Imagine Breaker, the OG engrish example from Kamachi, has a great sonority to it, even if the english is totally wack.
Yeah, and this stuff is so subjective. Just because I think something sounds off doesn't mean others feel the same.

Users who are viewing this thread