Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - I'm Not Really a Loner, You Know? (2)

Dex-chan lover
Man the russian on page 12 is weird, like the first part is closer to something like "come on" or "go on" but basically can be used to either call someone to do something or when you want something to speed up (it's weird trying to explain it). While the second part is literally a single letter that i'm not sure how to explain, but it just doesn't fit in here. Of course the translation is unrelated to it.
Oh and on page 13 the first bauble translated closer to something like "Why are you looking at me?"

Dex-chan lover
I really think Yuki is the wingwoman here, I BELIEVE

also that bowl is fucking huge holy hell

Dex-chan lover
You don't need to know Russian to know what she's thinking. She's transparent enough as it is.

Dex-chan lover
As someone who's blessed enough to be bilingual, it's weird how I don't speak Russian but still imagine Alya speaking in non-English for that extra effect.

e.g.
(...Her face is reddening)
(Is she blushing?)
*looks up at you
"...Anong tinitingin-tingin mo.."
"...Gago.. >////<"

Dex-chan lover
Finally, some mediocre russian language translations for me to whine about.
Page 11, уважаешь means "[you] respect" (verb, second person form). Not too sure how I'd translate "look up to", but the word used here doesn't explicitly imply being figuratively lower than the other person, whether it is in skill, hierarchy or whatever else. Not particularly egregious.
Page 12, this translates to "come on, uuu/ooo (she's just making a noise here, this specifically has somewhat negative implications, or being intrigued in a good way, which is deffo not the case here)". "Come on" is imprecise and can have a lot of other fairly vague meanings, like mentioned above. No good way to translate it, but I guess "what's with that" carries the meaning, sort of.
Page 13, as ForTheJerusalem said, "don't look at me" is wrong. I'd translate it as "why are you staring?". Of note is that the way she asks why he's looking is somewhat rude. Also, дурак means fool, I'd say idiot is too harsh, plus we borrowed that word - идиот.
I think the writers actually had a russian speaker think up lines in russian, because I've yet to see a sign of the russian text being made through translating from another language, and something like ууу wouldn't happen unless the text was originally written in russian. And, seeing as the translation I'm critiquing is actually a translation of a translation of that, and I don't have the raws nor enough japanese knowledge to judge the original translation, this kind of critique only serves the purpose of educating anyone who would be interested in learning russian through something like this. I can't exactly blame the scanlators for translating the original japanese translations as is.
Still disappointed/impressed by the lack of butchered machine translated russian.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread