Tokidoki Bosotto Roshia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - Stop! Don't Fight Over Me! (3)

Dex-chan lover
Regarding the SFX I didn't even notice them, so I'm fine with whichever is easier. Though usually I prefer little notes at the bottom of the page
^ This. I may be in the minority, but I kind of hate translated SFX. They're never as well integrated into the page/panel design as the original Japanese was, and they seldom really matter. So by "helpfully" translating them, most people just fuck up the art.

I prefer to have them translated as panel footnotes, but only when they're important. Which is almost never.

Dex-chan lover
I see no problem.. but again I'm the type who isn't nitpicking about sfx, as long as the translation is good, you good sir/madam, have my heartfelt gratitude. Please continue.. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Dex-chan lover
I don't mind the SFX. Tbh, whether you translate it or you don't, it doesn't really impact me much. To quote Kratos: your (sfx translation) presence is irrelevant.
I think that's how it went.
I did a bit of my own TL back in the days, and I did both tl-ing the sfx in 3 styles: ignore them, replace them with EN/alphabetics onomatopoeia, or slide in smaller text in said alphabetics. Granted, I was solo TL-Redrawer back then and the language is p niche (Indonesian), so I don't get many feedback about it. Looking at them again, me being in that niche language, I do feel the translation helps to elevate the reading experience, though that's mostly because ID SFX is way more rougher and louder than EN, if I may say.

^ This. I may be in the minority, but I kind of hate translated SFX. They're never as well integrated into the page/panel design as the original Japanese was, and they seldom really matter. So by "helpfully" translating them, most people just fuck up the art.

I prefer to have them translated as panel footnotes, but only when they're important. Which is almost never.
I can understand and also was on the same camp with Beep, but me being maso TL, I can't help but to TL-RD all the JP texts.

zbuRKqY.jpeg

One workaround I can find for this panel, as example, is to reduce the number of the STOMP fx on the panel. I would change it so the panel only has 3 or 4 Stomps, removing/moving-away the ones on Alya's hair and hand. I like the size of the most-right sfx, but I can't help but notice the T is on different shapes than the center SFXs (same with the most-left); I would also streamline them and make all the text on the same typeset/capitalization rule (I assume this is the latter issue).

Yuki seems highkey annoying due to how smug she has been in most scenes. I hope she actually has more to her character than that/banking on childhood friend aspect. Ayla is mad cute, but the super tsundere part is killing me. Hopefully she breaks down the tsundere walls sooner than later. Also MC better beat tf out this guy
Spoiler, there is

Dex-chan lover
I don't mind the SFX. Tbh, whether you translate it or you don't, it doesn't really impact me much. To quote Kratos: your (sfx translation) presence is irrelevant.
I think that's how it went.
I did a bit of my own TL back in the days, and I did both tl-ing the sfx in 3 styles: ignore them, replace them with EN/alphabetics onomatopoeia, or slide in smaller text in said alphabetics. Granted, I was solo TL-Redrawer back then and the language is p niche (Indonesian), so I don't get many feedback about it. Looking at them again, me being in that niche language, I do feel the translation helps to elevate the reading experience, though that's mostly because ID SFX is way more rougher and louder than EN, if I may say.

I can understand and also was on the same camp with Beep, but me being maso TL, I can't help but to TL-RD all the JP texts.

One workaround I can find for this panel, as example, is to reduce the number of the STOMP fx on the panel. I would change it so the panel only has 3 or 4 Stomps, removing/moving-away the ones on Alya's hair and hand. I like the size of the most-right sfx, but I can't help but notice the T is on different shapes than the center SFXs (same with the most-left); I would also streamline them and make all the text on the same typeset/capitalization rule (I assume this is the latter issue).

Yeah, I should have said that Scylla & Terribly Incompetent's SFX translations for Roshidere are spectacular. That kind of quality must take an insane amount of work. Nevertheless, while it's very nice to see, not too terribly much would be lost if a few noises went untranslated.

Not that I'm asking for that! So long as Solaire wants to keep working at a super-pro level, more power to them 🥰

Last edited:
MD@Home
Thank you for the translation! I like the SFX edits, I'd like to see more of them. Though, you don't need to force yourselves doing it if the workload is too much. Once again, thank you!
+1

SFX is good, but you shouldn't overwork yourself for them :)

Aggregator gang
The sfx were done very well, I didn't even notice them. I say keep em, but if it's too much work, I won't mind it either.

Group Leader
SFX is great! If it doesn't stress you out too much, I'd love to see them in future chapters. :thumbsup:

Thanks for translation!
About SFXs - imo they're good but personally I also don't mind leaving them in JP and just adding them as small text between panels. If you had fun adding them, I think it'd be nice to see them again.
I agree, I would prefer jp sfx with some small text bellow the sfx than the English sfx because its better than english sfx

Users who are viewing this thread