Tokyo DTED

Dex-chan lover
Oh, I remember this. It was a fucking waste of time.

2 preachy. So the message was accept your inferiority, don't aim for what you can't reach, and everyone has something they're good at so try your best with that. For MC, he was blessed with "nice guy" traits like tutoring, keeping promises, and noticing others' girlfriend's haircuts. Lucky him.

But one part went over my head. When MC asked Kaede if she only slept with him as a stand in, she gets confused which implies no. So then why did she do it?! How can she be so casual about having an affair with her bf's brother? Maybe, my shit take is that this just further highlights how dense/offensively carefree Kaede is and how incompatible she is for MC, going back all the way to chapter 1 when she first undressed for him before moving away. I would have liked to see more closure, i.e. what became of his relationship with Kaede post-friendzone, instead of nothing- maybe that's the answer. They never spoke again. Forget it. I'm glad it's over.

So that's it huh... This has been such a long ride I don't know what to think, and it seems finding some sort of discussion for this is going to be hard

Dex-chan lover
damn the ending is... not interesting at all... i thought this one will be interesting the first few chapters i read this...

Group Leader
@msPaint: "But one part went over my head. When MC asked Kaede if she only slept with him as a stand in, she gets confused which implies no. So then why did she do it?"

Well, judging from the original Japanese in the line (なんのこと?) I'm 80% sure that Kaede was rejecting the fact that she ever had sex with Tetuo in the first place. That she is either in denial or she is suffering from some memory loss.

But since the line is pretty vague (she could be purely questioning the idea of Tetsuo as a stand-in for his brother) I had to choose a line that was similarly ambiguous.

Edit: Updated the line to better reflect this view (I hope)

@itainteazy: Huh, but I remember right before Kaede returned home, MC made a remark about how he isn't used to seeing her clothed and she got flustered. Also during the whole thing, and afterwards, she never really felt traumatized to me. No blank eyed stares, downturn or forced expressions, neither dramatic dark backgrounds. I still think that she's just a loose country girl and incompatible with MC (more compatible with womanizer brother). The manga constantly showed how dense she was with leading the MC on, and how she's an airhead. Then again, maybe there's a parallel here with ch.1- how she supposedly forgets about the first time she stripped for him and made that childhood promise? Whatever, I don't want to give it much more thought than this.

Oh and btw, thanks for working on this. I know I sound critical but I still enjoyed reading this and your other translations too. You cool.

edit: your corrected line makes it sound like a "*wink wink* let's just put that behind us. it never happened *wink*". meh, let's just go with that interpretation.

Group Leader
@msPaint: Yeah, that was pretty much the nuance I was going for, though I think Kaede was acting purposely dense.

If you see the last panel on the third page, it looked like Kaede wasn't very thrilled to see Tetsuo. So yeah, I say she's feeling guilty and wants to avoid talking about her act of indiscretion.

Dex-chan lover
I thought this was going to be stupid from the description. But it's actually pretty alright. It's a realistic tale about lust and the struggle to move on from your first love. It could have been better but for what it was it's okay.

@msPaint: "So the message was accept your inferiority, don't aim for what you can't reach"

That's one way to put it I guess, but I see it in a more optimistic way. I think the message is that you win some and you lose some; so when you do lose, don't let that drag you down but focus on the good things.

Double-page supporter
Why is it when a realistic tale of love and the struggles of growing up are always poorly rated? Are people that afraid of facing reality, sorry to say but life isn’t sunshine and roses and running away from it even through fiction won’t change it...

> Why is it when a realistic tale of love and the struggles of growing up are always poorly rated?

The same reason any other work gets a poor rating: by being poor.

Tokyo DTED started off with a strong premise, began to wander in the middle, , then tried to come back from behind at the very end. Unfortunately, it couldn't pull off a strong enough finish to leave an impact.

Does real life work that way sometimes? Sure. Is it interesting? Not necessarily.

It's got an average rating, which I think is mostly thanks to its message of self-discovery and acceptance.

Yeesh. That ending was a total let down. I mean at least the growth was nice, but the resolution with Kaede and them him just going back Tokyo without any nod to a future with Saki felt really flat.

Dex-chan lover
I didn't know this finished either. Well at least he's doing good now with Saki and Nanako + Arata in tokyo.

I really wish it ended with him being with Saki as his girlfriend

Code:
Mod Note: put spoilers in the spoiler tag

FTU

Won't even read this because from how idiotic it sounds from the description and after reading spoilers.

Personalities are way off my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread