Tokyo Ghoul:re - Vol. 16 Ch. 179 - Song of the Goat

While I'm glad we got a happy ending, man this sequel was a mess but I'm glad I didn't drop it and stuck through till the end.

Enjoyable read bit of confusion and a mess but overall pretty nice. Took a dip after auction arc in my opinion.

i still have no idea who is ui and that woman with no legs but im so glad that naki didnt die. I guess this manga didn't get the edning that the author wanted but i enjoyed it anyway.🤍

I know :re gets all this shit, and while it wasn't the masterpiece we all expected it to be, I got to hand it to Ishida for being able to pull through despite everything that was going on with him and his personal life.

Now, this is the second time I read this. The first time around, I was confused as hell after the first half of the manga. I only got that Kaneki had married Touka, he went crazy, and Hide was somehow still alive. That's it.

However, after my re-read, things start to make sense. I get a feeling I understand better what Ishida wanted to get from this, what he wanted to deliver. The names start getting a bit more clear, and the fight scenes make more sense. While I can still agree that there was wasted potential, the world of TG was getting really big and Ishida, in his current state, wasn't able to deal with it all. Still, the new characters he introduced, especially the Qs, were all very interesting and fun to see develop. It saddens me that the manga had to end in such note, but at least we *got* an ending, which is an achievement in of itself.

I'm thankful to Ishida for creating this story and all the characters that we saw grow and change throughout all those years. I hope he can rest after all his hardwork. In the meantime, I still cherish the journey he pulled us in and I will forever consider TG as one of my favorite manga series, and I hope people don't shit on the story or the author because of the way it ended. He had his reasons and we should be thankful for what he accomplished.

I'm also one of the people that stopped reading :re at some point. I stopped at chapter 132 because of some stuff going on irl and because I had been simply dreading where the story seemed to be heading. I became absolutely certain after Touka became pregnant that she would have a miscarriage while fighting or get killed and Kaneki would go centipede batshit insane again and get wrecked too. I used to be really attached to Kaneki back then, so thinking that this would be a repeat of the Anteiku Raid was making me terribly anxious and upset.

So yeah... I enjoyed the ending. I agree that it was pretty rushed and the way ghouls suddenly became part of society was a bit too convenient, but I'm happy that Kaneki got his happy ending.

I'm pretty bummed that Amon and Akira were left out though :(

I will never be able to see the Anteiku Raid as the real ending because it left way too many loose ends. Without :re we would've never learned wtf Kanou wanted and the shady business going on inside the CCG for example. Sure, we can piece everything together now, but back then it was a confusing, abrupt, incomplete and open-ended ending.

Dex-chan lover
It's pretty alright, ending was definitely rushed, but I think its still somewhat enjoyable.

Fights in Re were all huge, which took away from the feel I think. Wish Suzuya had gotten more development throughout Re. Qs were interesting. Power balance was not very good I think, with new stuff being made up on the spot sometimes, at least that's how it felt. One of the bigger complaints is how almost everyone lives, like seriously? Such a gory manga and everyone looks like they die every other chapter, but then Naki comes out of nowhere and is suddenly fine (W for banging grammy though).

I'm a sucker for happy endings, but where Akimon??

Fed-Kun's army
Okay one thing I'll agree on with everyone here is that the last parts of Re/every part of Re is rushed. I agree. The plot wasn't really well-fleshed out and everything just happened all at once. Yeeted too many characters in your face at a time and some parts don't make sense.

But this all doesn't mean that it's bad ig, not as good as the initial Tokyo Ghoul but not bad either. Psychology was okay, plot was decent if not just really messy, characters stayed true to themselves at least, but it's just too cluttered in my opinion.

At least people got the happy ending, unlike the ending in the original Tokyo Ghoul lmao...

Wow what a read. It took me more than 3 months to finish this Tokyo Ghoul and Re from start to finish. I will miss reading this almost every day. Like others have said it was confusing a bit in some chapters but my deep respect goes to Ishida for even having the dedication to make this manga happen. I think this ending was satisfying enough and I like the idea of ghouls and humans potentially coexisting.

Also, not really about the manga but it was fun to read the comments on every chapter and see how everyone felt. Despite the comments being years apart it felt like there was a sense of community and that made me happy lol.

Double-page supporter
I think that :re is much better than the original TG in general.
I actually liked the huge fights, they felt like belic operations where multiple parties had their own strategies and it was very interesting.

But it is obviously that after Arima's death :re starts getting progressively more and more rushed.
I think that :re is much better than what people give it credit for, mainly because most people didn't pay enough attention to the story to understand. Like no shit you didn't like it if you gave up trying to understand and skimmed through the pages.
On the other hand I can understand WHY that started happening on the first place, this has been the MESSIEST manga I have ever read. With a million characters, a shitton of situations all happening simultaneously and 50 panels per page to the point text becomes hard to reed. That is undeniable.

But if you actually bother to take your time and understand what's happening, you will find that this is extremely well written and a very good piece of work.

My final thoughts?
The first 2/3 are peak and much better than OG TG, but the last part is rushed as hell and the conclusion, while kind of underwhelming and too happy for my taste, I think it's ok, with Ishida's situation it could have been sooooo much worse.
But Furuta needed more good screen time, such a cool character that I feel wasn't utilized at it's maximum potential.

honestly, I'm happy to see I wasn't the only one hella confused for a lot of this manga. The plot was somewhat followable however certain characters were very ambiguous and at some points, I really couldn't tell what side they were on. I enjoyed this manga at times, but it will definitely test the comprehension skills of the most seasoned readers.

Users who are viewing this thread