Tokyo Ghoul:re

Dex-chan lover
I don't regret picking this one back up. Definitely a drop in quality towards the end but it was good enough for me to keep reading it. Now to get back to catching up with Kengan

Fed-Kun's army
Tokyo Ghoul:re in a nutshell:
You get to die, you are a ghoul now, you actually didn't die, you were a ghoul all along, you liked that actionscene? too bad! Now there are characters on a completely diffferent scene fighting. wait, who are you again?
but it wasn't that bad tbh. it was just a complete mess.
But that one scene where
Kaneki and Touka had sex
and that endingpage where
Kaneki, Touka and their child
are standing on that field makes everything up somewhat .

Fed-Kun's army
Definitely a solid 9 out of 10 for me. Will be rereading. If the latter half was given an alternative in the future I would rate it 10. Just going to post my comment here again.
9.5/10 for me still. The entirety of this... the series is still a really good read. My initial disappointment is gone as I have come to terms with the ending.
Taking into consideration the condition of the writer/author (which I've learnt through the comments here) I think I'm pleased with the ending despite it contradicting earlier signs in the manga as @/D1stanc3 mentioned.
I actually took a break from Tokyo ghoul... As long as (maybe a few months or maybe even a year?). I always feel second-hand emotions terribly- I love reading books and mangas but I get terribly attached to certain characters and experience feelings as if I've been personally in the world (if that even makes sense).
To be honest, I'm happy that I've gotten such a calm ending because it means I will get to read over Tokyo Ghoul without too much heartache and angst again knowing that the ending is happy.
I hope the writer is okay or at least getting better. I'm so thankful he created such an amazing piece of work. If one day he writes an alternative ending (with a peace of mind) I really would be up for it.
Imagine the pressure he must've felt psychologically while trying to meet expectations of the company, fulfil his desires regarding the manga and also please the audience...
Hah anyway, yes I'm very grateful this work exists. I know the ending doesn't feel right for many due to the movement of the story initially (before the last part- but just come to terms with it I guess.

Aggregator gang
Its a mess but an enjoyable read none the less. Feels like the author has an idea then decides against it but still keeps it around. Creating a mess of dropped subplots and way to many things to keep track of that it can get quite confusing who is who and what organization people are apart of. Or even if that organization still exists.

Best comparison writing wise I can think of is God of Highschool. So many abandoned ideas but it all still somehow stays enjoyable none the less.

Btw I would read Imperial over Twisted for the first part until it switches over to the different scanlation group. Its just better and more standout typesetting. Nothing against Twisted but they were doing it while it was releasing so it just has a more rushed and "good enough" look and feel.

Dex-chan lover
This is still going... that’s not a bad thing, I suppose.
I completely lost my ability to comprehend after volume 2 or something?

About 4 chapters past the
character who was presented as a trans man was tortured and then it turns out that it was actually just a defense from trauma and they were a woman all along *cough*ConversionTherapyJustification*cough*
. That was messed up, but it was the overarching plot that was confusing for me.
At one point
some characters were on a small island in the bay or something and someone was going to or had done some dismembering and was being all edgy about it and there was some big operation with cops or something????years ago
and I had NO IDEA who most of the people were. None.

Really loved the first, pre-“re” arc. It wasn’t exactly full of surprises, but it was cool and I liked the characters.

I _think_ this was cool and had likeable characters? All the
insane brutality of torture and murder and such
kinda blurred that, and once I realised I was totally lost I couldn’t remember.

It’s probably really good, just weird.

@Spiritofpheonix yeah, that.

Amazing. Less coherent and a bit more messy than the prequel, but manages to take the action, darkness, and characters to an 11. Satisfying ending, to say the least.

Huge plot drop at the end, but at least the story is finished.

Could have been better, but if Ishida decided to rush it then... s# happens.

After reading the prequel, this one feels like a new experience, and not in a good way. The plots get really messy, and the development of our dear protagonist is even worse. Overall interesting ideas compared to the prequel, but poorly executed nonetheless.

Ngl I don’t know what’s going on in fights and don’t know a lot of the character but the ones I do know help me get through it. Emotional for me and the ending was a unexpected and weird but still enjoyed the series.
I’m probably really biased to give it a 9.5 (basically 10) but it was worth the time.

Like the series but re: Is confusing af, re: is still good but you need to read it once or twice to know whats happening, which makes it a 7/10 for me

For anyone wondering if they should read this, yes you definitely should. But I think read it twice might be a good idea. It is confusing so you are going to want to take a moment to really look at the panels. The ending is rushed, but might make you glad that you have closure.

The sequel is good, but personally the first half of the sequel is so boring for me since Haise and the Q's are badly introduced.
Suddenly adding bunch of character with battles here and there over the first half is so poorly done imo, at least until Kaneki vs Arima then its getting better.

I didn't realise until it was pointed out, and I thought back, but the ending is a bit rushed. I do like that there's closure for the series and I like that kaneki gets a happy ending, but the last couple of chapters could have been a little bit more spread out.

Aggregator gang
It started really boring with the whole CCG perspective, then it was humming along fine but then it completely jumped the shark out of nowhere, everything became rushed and the writing sucked and then it ended just abruptly. What a letdown.

The best chapter was actually just Touka and Akira talking. I think Ishida introduced way too many characters and felt like his passion for the story flamed out. There is a distinct tone change at one point and everything was rushed after that.
the whole giant centipede is where everything went off the rails

I’m about halfway and I’m just confused. Seems like a distinct drop from the original and I have no idea who characters even are as they fight and such. Is it worth continuing/ going back and trying to figure out wtf is happening?

Users who are viewing this thread