Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! - Vol. 7 Ch. 750 - Everyone's First Part-Time Job

Yesssssss. No better way to enjoy the return than to have all three of my favorite MILFs in one page. Life is good.?

Dex-chan lover
Much better translation on the last bubble than the nogroup scans.

Group Leader
Much better translation on the last bubble than the nogroup scans.
That last bubble from #dropout is made up.
The intentions were probably good, something like achieving good localization, but that's not what she says in raws.

"No group" translation is accurate

And there's a typo in the second frame. I believe there should be ", that's all" instead of "is all"

That last bubble from #dropout is made up.
The intentions were probably good, something like achieving good localization, but that's not what she says in raws.

"No group" translation is accurate

And there's a typo in the second frame. I believe there should be ", that's all" instead of "is all"

Better does not just mean accurate. Direct translations lead to awkward dialogue in English. JRPGs attest to that.

Group Leader
Better does not just mean accurate. Direct translations lead to awkward dialogue in English. JRPGs attest to that.

Correction. It's not "better", it's just "I prefer localizations over literal translations".
And if it was worded liked that initially, I wouldn't post anything either.

See? The way things are expressed is very important.

Dex-chan lover
@phantom00

To be fair, "What an unfriendly employee" is much less awkward than "A good employee shouldn't put on such a sour face" in my opinion.
So, in a sense, no group's translation is "better".

Dex-chan lover
@Nolonar Sorry, I thought you missed it, because I couldn't fathom an interpretation, where "What an unfriendly employee" could be the better option of the two, coming from a visibly snide mother.

Dex-chan lover
@Qwormuli
Short answer
Chapter 301: Misuzu's mother encounters Carol for the first time.
Carol: "Good afternoon!"
Mom: "It spoke!"

Is it that odd for her to treat her own daughter like a stranger when the situation allows it?

Long answer
I mean, this is the spoken language, even if we're reading it. There's no reason to use needlessly complicated or wordy sentences to get across what you think, unless that's exactly the type of character you are, which isn't the case for her. Instead, both Misuzu and her mom are established as cynics.

Fact is, Misuzu is an employee (if only temporary) who is being unfriendly, while her mom is a guest (if only to check up on her daughter).
There's no reason why "what an unfriendly employee" would be somehow less appropriate for a cynical mother than an expression that could've been from some instruction manual.

Group Leader
Yeahh, as much as I appreciate dropout's localization work, I think "What an unfriendly employee" works a lot better for the punchline. Shows a kind of dry humor characteristic of the Misuzu family.

Supporter
I'd lean toward "What an unfriendly employee." Seems snappier than what is on this translation.

Side note: I think, 750 pages into this, the thing I love most about this series is the facial expressions, particularly the eyes. Not sure I've ever read another series where I enjoyed them this much.

Users who are viewing this thread