Tonari no Onee-san ga Suki - Vol. 2 Ch. 23 - I like that expression

Contributor
Bless the power of proper communication. Destroy the misunderstandings. 🙏

I'm getting to love how they're both growing as persons together, talking it out like this is a display of maturity and something they should possess by the time they're adults. Communication is truly key, and this is something a LOT of romcoms could stand to have. I may not be fully convinced about their romance yet, but my expectations are gradually getting subverted and I like it.

Dex-chan lover
Seeing Tasuku grow and learn throughout this manga is the best thing. There's a lot he doesn't get about people at first and he makes a lot of mistakes like making rude comments or the kabedon but he sincerely reflects and tries to learn from them. He starts to think about how other people are affected by his actions and how they would feel.
Tasuku is interested in Shia san cos he likes her, but he doesn't know anything about her. And he recognises that to her he's still an immature child, which is why he tries his best to learn about Shia san and how to interact with people, even if it means making more mistakes. He's an awkward but straightforward kid. Its pretty established that communication is key to relationships. But that doesn't make it any less difficult. Tasuku's willingness to do something even adults struggle with is incredible. And in doing so, he learns about Shia san and how to treat people.
So having this chapter where Tasuku shows Shia san that he likes her, and he's paid attention and learnt about her as a person, and even after seeing the good with all the bad he STILL likes her, even though she's a pain sometimes and she knows she's a pain and she hates herself for her flaws..that's such a big step not only for their relationship but also his own growth. And you've got all the little details like how he's helping his brother make onigiri, how he misses his shot cos he's thinking about Shia san, how he went to Gusto to look for Shia san and then remembered she likes donuts and went there......and of course the panel of Shia san finally smiling, not after hearing her good points, but her bad ones, because that's the moment she understands Tasuku's "like" isn't just a feeling towards a crush, it's a feeling towards a person that he's taken the effort to understand, flaws and all.
I love them. I love this manga. I'm going to explode.

Group Leader
I feel like we almost got to much progress in this chapter for what was said. Also if you want to get to know someone better there are worse ways then joining them as they do something they like. If someone is important to you, you want to at least understand what is important to them.

Also I would like to know what attracted him to her in the first place. His diary was more like an observation journal.

When was the last time he talked to her about her screen play?

It kinda feels like there are parts of the story we aren't seeing.

Just realized he went all over town looking for her. First her house, then the bookstore, then the cafe. Grom the dialogue probably gusto as well.
Yea I personally think that he didn't really "take advantage" of Shia's desire for a movie buddy. However, taking into account that he didn't think of that possibility at all beforehand, and suddenly realising it while in her presence, it's a lot more understandable.

Same with the events that occur in the backdrop of their relationship, they remind me that we're observing the story through a flawed narrator, and I love it.

Dex-chan lover
This series is a great example that rom coms dont have to have terrible writing and be entertaining. Its really great writing this chapter and a good character growth too.

Dex-chan lover
I was gonna say that I was feeling the usual infinite pain peko but then everything turned out alright in the end :)

Dex-chan lover
Kazuya:"NOO! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO NOT TALK TO EACH OTHER FOR 300 CHAPS!!"
e82b2c85036eda26536928ad51ae6a7b75c1d955.gif
Dude that animation looks so fucked up.

Dex-chan lover
this guy is more mature than I was in high school, I'm utterly ashamed of myself.

Users who are viewing this thread