Tonikaku Kawaii

Double-page supporter
> Not sure how "Cawaii" is official. "Ka" is the official method of romanizing the "か" in "かわいい"(Kawaii).

The Japanese sometimes get fixated on the letter "C", thinking a hard C is better than an actual K. Blame Hata-sensei and his editor.

> I came from the salty Hayate ending. Really wondering if I should start another Hata manga.

So far, the ride has been pretty good. At least there's no, "Whom will the MC choose" BS. ?

Dex-chan lover
Hey this looks pretty interesting
"author of Hayate the Combat Butler"
AAAAAAAAND DROPPED!

Dex-chan lover
@boag

I did drop it and then I managed to go through the first chapter. It's actually quite wholesome. Seems like Hata did the right thing now. It's now the silver era of vanilla romance, and I hope he realize that all men and women nowadays only need cute girls doing consensual cute things with her male partner.

Dex-chan lover
@balenol
Im not falling for it again, ill wait till its over in 8 years before I read it. A sentiment im sure many people share.

@boag Dude if you wait 8 years for this to be over in order for you to read it you will greatly regret it. Now I haven't seen or read Hayate the Combat Butler so I can't really say it's shit or compare this manga to it but I'm telling you this is a really great manga, in fact this might actually be the best manga I read this year.

Dex-chan lover
@TheDevilsApprentice

Its not that Hayate was shit, on the contrary, it was pretty damn good, but it dragged on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on.
And with each new chapter it kept building up this sensation that something was going on the background, and suddenly we got tweest after tweest with each one making less sense than the last and taking a toll on the coherency of the story.

TLDR: Following and reading Hayate for a decade was a big waste of time.

Just to add to this
j9LwkYl.png

FUCK HATA THE HACK FOREVER!

ohohoh she says "after thousand years...." well... someone soon has to add SUPERNATURAL tag on this manga. ?

im not the only one thinking shes a vampire or a supernatural being hundreds years old.. right?

@Takkero
I pretty much came to this conclusion since chapter one, though I think more likely the moon princess/queen and the little sister's family protects her.

@boag

Don't be so sentimental. And don't judge a serie so fast(except if it's SEO).

This has been complete fluff for the whole 27 chapters. Nothing more, nothing less. It's literally just a slice of life right now with a small hint or promise of mystery.
I for one think the author is clearly making it so that it wouldn't get too convoluted. All of the characters are lovable right now and the writing is on point. The clear focus is on the MC's which is great. Somehow Hata has been able to keep the comedy and story fresh and engaging even though it's just a Slice of life story right now.

Double-page supporter
@bane_ecf -- I don't disagree that we must use the term "Cawaii" since for whatever whacked reasons, Hata-sensei and/or his editor were obsessed into thinking that a hard-C is the awesome way to spell it.

@boag

> Its not that Hayate was shit, on the contrary, it was pretty damn good, but it dragged on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on.

As I read Hata-sensei's remarks for the different volumes, it always seemed that his chief concern was drifting too far away from the gag manga stuff in Hayate. Heck, I didn't even see an actual story to Hayate until we had that Athena flashback arc. That arc was what shifted Hayate the Combat Butler from a funny gag manga to something even better (at least in potential). But even with that arc, Hata-sensei conceded that he had put it off as long as possible due to the fact that it was a darker story and thus not conducive to the normal gag humor Sensei favors.

So I don't disagree that it went on and on and on. I didn't mind the gag stories and such. My chief complaint was that Hata-sensei seemed to follow a 1:4 ratio of plot to gag stuff. Rather than just telling the story and properly setting up his harem ship, he did what he always did -- kept putting off things 'cause "gotta have gag chapters!" until he just ran out of time and then had to ramrod everything in to wrap the story.

> TLDR: Following and reading Hayate for a decade was a big waste of time.

Although I was not happy with how things ended (Hata-sensei ramming his ship choice in even though his story supported other ships a ton more than his ship), I wouldn't call reading Hayate the Combat Butler a waste. There's some genuinely funny stuff in the manga. There are memorable characters. And on the whole, I rather enjoyed the manga.

Finally, on that spoiler text, I guess I need to see if there's something new for Hayate posted that I was unaware of.

Now, as to Tonikaku Cawaii, we fortunately don't have a harem element at play here. The manga wasn't pitched as a gag manga per se, but rather a manga about a newlywed couple. So while it is true that Hata-sensei is setting flags left and right for a story beyond Nasa and Tsukasa adjusting to life being married, I feel that this will have more impact because there is only one ship, and Tsukasa has the good elements from Hina and Athena from Hayate the Combat Butler.

Dex-chan lover
@ToddSama
we fortunately don't have a harem element at play here.
YET.
We didnt have a harem in Hayate well into around 50 chapters.

@Emperor_Late
This has been complete fluff for the whole 27 chapters.
So was Hayate.

If theres one thing ive learned over the years, is that authors that rely on BS to keep their series going, will continue to rely on BS in their future works, Rumiko Takahashi, Ohba Tsugumi and SHIINA Takashi, immediatly come to mind.

Im not going along for the ride, if chapter 100 hits and the series still seems to be about progressing the married couples relationship without any of Hatas previous crutches, then ill admit I was wrong and happily read to catch up. Up until that Happens, im filing this under WASTE OF TIME.

@boag

I still think you are overreacting. I doupt this will become overly convoluted.

But I guess we will see what chapter 100 brings.

Double-page supporter
Man, I've seen the raws for chapter 28 and 29. So looking forward to reading the translated versions!

Double-page supporter
Haha! Just saw the raw for chapter 30. There is an interesting cameo at the end of the chapter.

Tsukasa and Nasa return home from their Nara trip to discover their apartment and the store below it burned down (man, did Hata-sensei flag that in chapter 28). Wataru and Saki are at the smoldering ruins. I had always figured the closed shop was Wataru's based on the Tachibana name, but this would seem to confirm that. ?

Oh...and I think Sakuya is the one who takes Nasa's and Tsukasa's photo at the shrine.

Not sure what the rule is on double-posting, so I'll update here.

Chapter 31 raws are kinda interesting...

With their apartment burned down and only their plant surviving, Nasa and Tsukasa are staying with the owner of the bath house. Kaname-chan gets another look at Nasa's junk. Wataru and Saki are in the chapter. And Tsukasa tells Nasa she loves him. ?

The feeling I get is that Nasa and Tsukasa will be living here for a bit. Makes sense from a story perspective to more easily keep Kaname and Aya involved in things.

Whaaah! Three weeks behind Japan is giving me the shakes. ???

Users who are viewing this thread