Tora to Hachidori - Vol. 4 Ch. 24.5 - Volume 4 Specials & Note

Dex-chan lover
It was fine, definitely not romance this feels more like a slice of life manga. Enjoyed it but would be nice to see more romance development

Banned
I liked it. Thank you for translating it. It is subtle subtext and i can see why some are not satisfied, but overall it was a great read. The tropes of them being a thing are all there, so it can be interpreted as yuri. But again, totally understandable if some might disagree.

Dex-chan lover
yeah I was never expecting any romance cause it was clear from the beginning it was more of a fashion / service industry focus slice of life and Yodokawa’s romance is pretty restrained for yuri… honestly I’m surprised they even got to be “roommates” lmao

Thanks for the huge translation batch! I didn't mind the rougher quality all that much, appreciate the work! Was nice to read this all at once.

Anyways, to be honest, I didn't mind the ending all that much. Y'all are right in that this felt like it had a lot more potential than it realized — but at the same time, I'm satisfied. I think it's because I feel the author accomplished what they set out to do, even if I feel the work had potential for so much more. It's a fun story with likeable characters that introduced and touched on aspects of fashion the reader may not be aware of, and I feel like that exploratory sharing of the author's passion for the field was the point in the end.

Perhaps I'm being generous, but their relationship not being explicit in any way felt like it fit the work. My personal criteria for whether I consider a work queerbait or not is simple: "Should there have been a kiss?" Does it feel like the work is inauthentic or incomplete due to the lack of explicit romance or not?

For this, I think the answer is no. I don't think the story is incomplete or inauthentic. Their relationship and the way they ended up sharing their life was sweet enough. Do I think the setting and characters had the potential to be a lot more, to focus more on that side of things? Absolutely. But the story that ended up being told was not that, and I hesitate to judge what it is based on a direction not taken.

I'unno. Just my thoughts. Probably helps that I really didn't get the sense that either of them are very romantic people — their acts of service felt like an honest representation of how they express care for each other.

Overall, it's not making my master list of recommendations as I had initially hoped, but I don't find myself as let down as I feared I might be. Always nice to learn something about the complex industries that modern life takes for granted, even if only a small slice.
That's a fair interpretation, I agree this certainly isn't yuribait but I still think it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. That being said, I don't think a kiss scene is the be all end all of yuri.

I'd be waaaay more than happy if there was just something there. One of my friends always calls me "emotionally horny" which is quite frankly very rude but not inaccurate as even like a single like 4 koma where they did something like subtlely romantic would be insanely good. The movie stuff was such a let down for this because that's all they did, saw some movies, end of story. If there had been any pay off it would've felt complete, like, "Oh that was so fun, let's do something else next time!" It's open ended but isn't the literally nothing we got.

I feel like the domesticity we got was really nice and maybe I'm being greedy but it felt like half of what should've been there, and the sister showing up too! Agh so frustrating. If I had to guess why it's like this, it'd be because the author wasn't confident in showing how the characters would react romantically in a compelling way for the general audience; some couples are extremely low-key but that doesn't make for good reading material. That's my line of reasoning at least.

Sorry for ranting lol

Users who are viewing this thread