Totsugi Okureta Kitsune ga Yome ni Kuru Hanashi - Vol. 5 Ch. 48 - Drinking Party

Dex-chan lover
TL, what happens to people who don't drink at all for whatever reason? Do they still have to turn up to these drinking parties once in a while?

Also, thanks for translating this series. Learning a lot.

Dex-chan lover
TL, what happens to people who don't drink at all for whatever reason? Do they still have to turn up to these drinking parties once in a while?

It's a nasty form of social pressure from the company where if you don't go, your shitty coworkers will mock you for not "reading the room" and refusing to go to the company party.

If you have especially shitty bosses, they will see your refusal to go as you not being loyal to the company, and they will remember this when they need to lay off people in economic downtime.

It's not exclusive to Japan either, I have seen plenty of this crap in my country.

Group Leader
Generally everyone has at least one drink so they can participate in the initial kanpai (cheers!). You can ask the sever for a mixed drink (like a haichu) and quietly ask them to make it light. After that you're generally off the hook as long as you're drinking something (even non-alcoholic). And usually the manager is happy as long as there are people drinkwith him, and there always were. People who aren't going to drink much sit away from the managers!

I have heard about nasty situations like Mangamoz is talking about but never run into them in Japan, maybe because I was there!

If you have medical reasons, that's understood, or if you're the driver (but it's almost always by train then short walk). Honestly, I never ran into a situation where someone there just refused without a good reason. I specifically asked about people who don't go, which is how I know, but didn't ask about people who go but just refuse the first drink without one of these reasons.

Double-page supporter
Low key jealous of Matsudate always getting to be Mogami-san's drinking buddy.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for another great chapter!
My department head is a teetotaler so if there's any pressure regarding drinking, it's not to do it. Doesn't stop people though, but does stop them from getting wasted. His (DH) big thing is participation. It's very emphasized that you "should" attend department gatherings to the point that you need an excuse not to to there.

Dex-chan lover

I turn up to em. I just say I can’t drink, nobody cares, and I have fun w/ em all the same. lol

Users who are viewing this thread