Touge Oni - Vol. 3 Ch. 9 - The Great Well of Heaven

Dex-chan lover
Wait why couldn't he do the dimension door thing inside the void ?

Not understanding the rating at the end. How is something that isn't sacred treasure, yet is powerful enough to be equal to a sacred treasure, not just about the most novel thing around? And how is a black hole pleasant in any way?

Power Uploader
Ahhhh, I think I get it now, damn. I screwed up, Novelty was not applicable at all as a translation here.

Hear me out. The original term was 希少性, which means "scarcity" or "rarity". When I first did this, I wondered how that's even a rating since there was only one copy of any given sacred treasure. So, I misunderstood and thought that it might have meant how "unusual" something is. In retrospect that doesn't make any sense either since all sacred treasure is wacky as all hell.

I think what it really means is how much people want/need it and how available/capable it is to meet the demand, which is, well, scarcity. I would use that if not for the fact that it might be a bit cryptic (that, or I'm just dumb). Would "Availability" work, or should I just use "Scarcity"?

Here are the original terms if people are curious:
希少性 -> "Novelty" (this one)
利便性 -> "Utility" (lit. convenientness)
危険性 -> "Danger"
秘匿性 -> "Subtlety" (lit. concealability)
愉快性 -> "Pleasantness"

I think I'll put a TL Note about this on the next chapter. I'm changing it into "Availability" for the time being.

EDIT: Eh, screw it, I'll just use scarcity and slap an explanation.

Dex-chan lover
I thought they might return in a different timeline but damn this series is fascinating

Dex-chan lover
I absolutely love how trippy things can get in this manga. Just last chapter we had them shrinking into presumably subatomic levels. And now they dealt with an actual god damn black hole.

Users who are viewing this thread