Touhou Suichouka ~ Lotus Eater-tachi no Suisei - Ch. 48 - Alcohol Seeks Its Own Level (Part 2)

So Gensokyo has (waterproofed) Gameboys now and an unnamed fighting game.

...yes, that's what stuck to me the most in this chapter. Not the depiction of the whole WBAWC and UDOALG gang (including the otter spirit).

Fed-Kun's army
If Marisa can forget, anybody can. So I'll just put a reminder here.

Hakurei Reimu

Special abilities:
The ability to fly
The ability to eat sweets without getting fat
Her ability is to float, not fly. There's more meaning to it than the literal sense. Marisa has also been shown to fly without her broom

Dex-chan lover
I don't see why you're still playing at mountaineering in the middle of a youkai extermination!

This seems to me to suggest Reimu thinks Marisa could decide to fly at any given moment, and that she just isn't taking the situation seriously enough to do so.

It would be very much like Marisa to have a full set of mountainclimbing gear among the many, many pointless treasures she hoards inside her home, and be so excited about actually getting to use it for something that she won't let the simple fact she could fly instead stop her from doing just that. It's the same reasoning behind her only ever using her broom to fly - witches fly on brooms. Mountaineers, of course, don't fly at all, that would be cheating.

Another possible factor could be cost. Reimu can fly at any time for free. Marisa, who doesn't have inherent abilities, may need to spend some sort of magical resource to do it - alchemical powders, potions, mushroom extracts, what have you - but this very fact would be something she wouldn't let on to anyone, the same way she doesn't talk about how much time she spends on practice. That's how Reimu can come off with the impression that flying is just as effortless to Marisa as it is to her, and Marisa won't correct her, because it would mean revealing part of herself that she doesn't show to others willingly, especially not Reimu. I guess if this is a thing, the broom enters into it by being a magic tool that saves her some or all of the resources she uses to fly, but since she doesn't have it on hand (not being able to carry it along with the mountaineering equipment), she avoids flying without it.

The speculation will never end. Isn't it grand?

Users who are viewing this thread