Tricks Dedicated to Witches - Ch. 18 - Impossible Circumstances

Dex-chan lover
Well, at least he didn't blueball us for ANOTHER chapter. Also the introduction of not just magnets, but absurdly powerful electromagnets does reduce the necessary suspension of disbelief. The setup bit was pretty cool though, Harry using all the available tools to make something work.

Is veeeeeery possible the leader of the church is from the future as Makito but unlike him, he wants to repeat history or go along with it maybe because of a trauma. Anyways I'm even more hooked! Bring those chapters!

So, to put this in context.

The story is said to play in the 1580s. Two decades later, the English physician William Gilbert will use the term "electricus" in his work "De Magnete, Magneticisque Corporibus, et de Magno Magnete Tellure (On the Magnet and Magnetic Bodies, and on That Great Magnet the Earth)" to describe the trait of certain materials to be "like amber in its attractive properties". He will invent a prototype of an electroscope, the first first electrical measuring instrument.

However, Gilbert argued that electricity and magnetism were not the same thing. Oersted's law and Maxwell's "A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism" will lay the foundation for the study field of Electromagnetism less than 300 years later. So yeah, the archbishop is certainly a time traveler, I would say. Or maybe he can see in the future. However, that opens the door for a lot of shenanigans. Steampunk + Thirty Years War, here we come.

By the way: Only a few years later after this time of this story now, a man called Reginald Scot will publish "The Discoverie of Witchcraft", which is considered the first published material on illusionary or stage magic! I wonder if Reginald will appear in this manga, as well as other famous magicians of this time like John Dee, who should be around Poland at this time, travelling together with Edward Kelley.

Group Leader
The big bad could be a time traveler or got the isekai memories of the future schtick.

magnets-how-do-they-work.png

Aggregator gang
I'm enjoying this very much. My dudes, I've already suspended my disbelief at the very first trick, when Mia flew with the broom.
This manga is great when you view it this way: the enemies have powers that, in fact, are mysteries ace attorney-like. There's gonna be some bullshit, but they are fun to be thought about, discovered and explained eventually.

to be fair, the physics is mostly sound, mostly. MRI magnet for instance, are capable of actually pull something like a chair into it with serious force. So consider that the knife are throw in numbers and are much smaller and lighter, it is possible for the pulling power to actually large enough to cause damage. especially with how many knives he toss at once. The sheer numbers of knives cover the shortfall of accuracy and control.

Now here is the problem, the magnetic field shouldn't be that big. As in, actual MRI magnet probably capable of pulling light stuff from 4-5 meter away, but I doubt what they managed in middle age has that level of power. To understand it more easily, if knife is pulling at 3m get to 1m, the pulling power is exponentially increase, as in the closer the item is to the magnet, the bigger the force is. So if the Priest instead of throwing the knife on to the air, but throw it at our devil, then it's fairly accurate, since the initial vector and force cover for the weak pulling from the distance. But he toss all of them on air so this is actually a bit of a stretch, since I doubt whatever they can cook up in medieval is that powerful, or even if they somehow could, where the hell do they get the energy to power something like that, seriously, don't make me think that there is a group of zealots who is sitting and pedaling wooden bike to power it. The arena seem cover at least 8-10 meters. That's really hard unless the priest stood at the very center.

The actual issues in my eyes though. is the coordinations of the magnetic team is way too good. As in. To make the knife fly in curves. The magnetic 2 that is right next to magnetic 1 have to turn on at the timing where magnetic 1 turn off his magnets, since the knives is closer to magnet 1. But magnet 1 can't turn off too soon since the knife risk losing momentum and create a dip or even fall on the ground in that room. A seamless curve like that is just some godly teamwork. And not to mentions that the magnet operator operate only on eyehole. Seriously, if our devil has this team he is unstoppable.

EDIT: checked the books again, I think someone already mentioned in this thread, But electric magnet of this caliber are loud, so while it might be that there is a lot of noise in the arena, but I do agree that people should notice the noise of an electromagnet. That is unless the magnetic team control is godly enough that they turn on and off with a timing so impeccable that the noise blend in the background, seriously those guy operating the magnet are the true MVP on the church side.

Dex-chan lover
@dragon1412

The one you are probably referring to from before was probably me.

I predominantly agree with your observation with one caveat about the MRI bit. I worked as a design engineer in the medical equipment industry (including the design of MRI compliant wheelchairs and stretchers). If even one or two bolts on that chair were able to be magnetized, the entire chair could get pulled from across the room. I've seen videos showing what happens when a hospital attendant accidentally used the wrong wheelchair in the MRI room. It literally can yank the entire chair from across the room. The chair accelerates the closer it gets to the MRI machine too.

There is another point I just realized after looking at the drawing of their medieval electromagnet, the metal rod in the center of the coil is a short and fat one. The three factors that affect the strength of the electromagnet are:
1. The number of times the coil can wrap around the rod ("Solenoid")
2. The type of metal used as the rod
3. The amount of electric current run through the wires

That wire wrap seem awfully short for such a "strong" electromagnet. I didn't catch that the first time. We still haven't been shown where they are getting all that electrical power from too (hydro-electric generation is the most likely option I would think).

Users who are viewing this thread