Tsubame Tip Off! - Vol. 2 Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
did she injure herself? I felt like I saw that before but I'm not entirely sure
also, was she predicting that tall was gonna be too scared to screen and used it as a feint instead?
I don't basketball terminology sorry

thank you so much for the update! This series has so much potential I'm glad you're translating this

Dex-chan lover
Good riddance to that goblin. Unfortunately, that's probably not the last time we'll see her.

Dex-chan lover
THANK YOU!!!! LOL They actually won! I forgot what was even the bet or challenge tbh but EAT THAT BITCHHHHH hahahaha and that "It has nothing to do with you" was perfect too~ XP

There's... however one thing that's bothering me... My english is far from perfect but in the first page when she says "she promised to get us them if we win" is that right? is not supposed to be "She promised to let us get them if we win" maybe? and oh... now I remember why they were playing that game hahaha

@AgentKuga

Kind of. Ibis knew it would be an obvious and lousy screen and that Aya knew it would be an obvious and lousy screen, but also bet that Aya would still try to work past/around Tsubame and not guard her left side. Which is why Aya says "I won't be caught in your screen" then "Argh, there's no way they wouldn't use a limp screen". Basically, Ibis knew she'd be cocky and so used that against her for a feint.

ETA: Should also mention why real screens are used: it means either the opposition has to swap defenders for a mismatch (Aya on Tsubame and Sierra on Ibis), or Sierra leaves Ibis open, or Aya works past the screen, while Sierra moves up to defend Ibis at the same time, leaving Tsubame open. It's why the TL mentions they get used a lot. Especially in pro basketball that uses a lot less 1-on-1 defense, it can make holes in the defense from being out of position, or free up an uncontested 3-pointer for the person with the ball.

"As disgraceful as an amateur throwing their sneakers in the washer" would work, too (and fit the theme).

Dex-chan lover
@Waterdai That's probably the exact thing they're trying to avoid I guess, being somewhat obscure nowadays. If even the localization might require a translation note just so people don't have to look it up themselves, it's probably not quite right.

I kind of like seeing the literal translations for stuff like this with a note about it, it's like getting little bits of trivia about this other culture you might not be super familiar with despite consuming content from there. It might help you pick up on other little references and stuff here and there eventually too.

Users who are viewing this thread