Tsugihagi Darake no Saikyou Yuusha - Vol. 2 Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
I appreciate this manga being very clear on its intention to explore the repercussions of taking the place of someone else in a world. A lot of isekai do tend to handwave or brush it off, or simply minimize the existence of the person being replaced, so it's cool so be able to think about how he'll have to deal with more things like this as he goes on. After all, the hero is probably one of, if not the most well known person currently. I hope this manga explores this in more detail.

Dex-chan lover
Homie is finally asking the real questions.

Her name is Portia... she is a transporter... aka a "porter"...

I don't know if this is lazy writing or a deliberate joke but it's hilarious
I'm noticing a lot of names from Shakespeare's corpus. Ophelia is one of Hamlet's potential wives whose ultimately driven mad by his heinous actions. Edmund is the antagonist in King Lear, a womanizer and murderer. Hecate is the leader of the witches from Macbeth, and crucially the one who convinces Macbeth that he will not come to harm, thereby dooming him.

Portia is the plucky protagonist of The Merchant of Venice, and unlike the previous three characters, is an unambiguously good person.

So Portia's name is part of a much broader pattern, though for her character it may have been selected for the reasons you described.

Dex-chan lover
The names of all the protagonists are already horrible red flags tbh. See my above post. TL;DR, they're all names from Shakespeare. Ophelia had a terrible fate, and Edmund and Hecate were both awful people.

There is definitely some going on with the original hero. He was "eating" the MC when he fought the jester. And he seems to still have a precense in the body and/or soul sitting by that table.

Dex-chan lover
Seems like this series is gonna go deeper on what its like for both those around the person whose body has been taken over and the person themselves
Thanks for the TL

Dex-chan lover
Homie is finally asking the real questions.

I'm noticing a lot of names from Shakespeare's corpus. Ophelia is one of Hamlet's potential wives whose ultimately driven mad by his heinous actions. Edmund is the antagonist in King Lear, a womanizer and murderer. Hecate is the leader of the witches from Macbeth, and crucially the one who convinces Macbeth that he will not come to harm, thereby dooming him.

Portia is the plucky protagonist of The Merchant of Venice, and unlike the previous three characters, is an unambiguously good person.

So Portia's name is part of a much broader pattern, though for her character it may have been selected for the reasons you described.
Portia is part of the group “Shylock”, so it’s a pretty deliberate reference.

Users who are viewing this thread