Tsuki 50-man Moratte mo Ikigai no nai Tonari no Onee-san ni 30-man de Yatowarete "Okaeri" tte Iu Oshigoto ga Tanoshii - Vol. 6 Ch. 30 - Saying "Welco…

Thanks for the upload, but i wonder why you all decided to not translate "hanami"? It's just the activity of cherry blossom viewing.

Just seemed like a very weird decision to leave that, unless you're not actually translating it from jp to en, or using mtl.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the upload, but i wonder why you all decided to not translate "hanami"? It's just the activity of cherry blossom viewing.

Just seemed like a very weird decision to leave that, unless you're not actually translating it from jp to en, or using mtl.
It's the activity of watching flowers in general. Really felt like translating it would lose the nuance of the word, since it's a whole event for these people. They don't just stare at the flowers, they get the picnic blanket, prepare lunch, bring drinks, etc. Plus, think of the typesetter! "Flower watching" is longer than "Hanami"!

Last edited:
It's the activity of watching flowers in general. Really felt like translating it would lose the nuance of the word, since it's a whole event for these people. They don't just stare at the flowers, they get the picnic blanket, prepare lunch, bring drinks, etc. Plus, think of the typesetter! "Flower watching" is longer than "Hanami"!
In that case, its quite an odd thing to not translate and provide no explanation as well for what it means. Like on page 30, "go to the park for some hanami". There was nothing mentioned about flower watching in this instance and unless someone already knows what hanami is, they're not going to even get a clue after this scene.

At least on page 33, you could argue there is some context since there is mention of sakura watching. But your explanation of hanami where they do a whole event doesn't even fit since Mio goes straight from work to "hanami" and then back home in office attire + purse.

Sorry, I'm not trying to nitpick. I'm just trying to understand why this translation was done this way.

Dex-chan lover
In that case, its quite an odd thing to not translate and provide no explanation as well for what it means. Like on page 30, "go to the park for some hanami".
I'll grant that it's phrased weirdly, since I'm trying to use a foreign word as-is for a language that isn't really structured like English. But presumably you're reading this on a computer, or a phone: A Quick search should clue you in to what the activity is, and what's usually done when people partake in it. Is it really such a big deal to you to, after finishing the entire story, quickly look up what it is?
But your explanation of hanami where they do a whole event doesn't even fit since Mio goes straight from work to "hanami" and then back home in office attire + purse.
Yeah, she also says she's never gotten the chance to do it before. Presumably, if she wanted to do it right, as I'm sure Matsutomo would suggest soon enough, they would bust out all the rest. Even with her breaking what at least seems to be anime tradition, she ended up doing it with a loved one in the end.
Sorry, I'm not trying to nitpick. I'm just trying to understand why this translation was done this way.
I know certain other TL's complain when you criticize their work, but I love it.

Is it really such a big deal to you to, after finishing the entire story, quickly look up what it is?
Haha, maybe I'm just used to past scanlations when they would use a japanese word "as-is", they would also put a short trandlator's note somewhere on the edge of the panel of page to give some context so that it doesn't break the flow of reading. Else i would have to stop reading the chapter, and go look it up.

Also when you throw a romaji word into google, you may not get the exact meaning you're looking for, or you don't know if that is the meaning you're looking for, since there is differentiation in the kanji but not in the romaji itself. A simple example would be the word chopsticks and bridge. With 0 context on what it is, and just using romaji, they would both be hashi, but the reader will not know which one is the right word. May not be the best example, since for hanami is a more specific word and you would always get the meaning when you google, but i hope you get the gist of what i mean.

Dex-chan lover
Haha, maybe I'm just used to past scanlations when they would use a japanese word "as-is", they would also put a short trandlator's note somewhere on the edge of the panel of page to give some context so that it doesn't break the flow of reading. Else i would have to stop reading the chapter, and go look it up.
We do that too! It's just that stopping the story, on the last chapter, to tell you the exact nuance of the word, and explain that there's usually a picnic attached, seemed ridiculous at the time.
Also when you throw a romaji word into google, you may not get the exact meaning you're looking for, or you don't know if that is the meaning you're looking for, since there is differentiation in the kanji but not in the romaji itself. A simple example would be the word chopsticks and bridge. With 0 context on what it is, and just using romaji, they would both be hashi, but the reader will not know which one is the right word. May not be the best example, since for hanami is a more specific word and you would always get the meaning when you google, but i hope you get the gist of what i mean.
I get it. Tell you what: If I ever do this in the future, you look up the unfamiliar term, and get multiple answers, you hop on the Discord server and call me a retard. I'd totally deserve it.

We do that too! It's just that stopping the story, on the last chapter, to tell you the exact nuance of the word, and explain that there's usually a picnic attached, seemed ridiculous at the time.

I get it. Tell you what: If I ever do this in the future, you look up the unfamiliar term, and get multiple answers, you hop on the Discord server and call me a retard. I'd totally deserve it.
Lmao, I get that it was the last chapter and you guys wanted to just get it over and done with. This word just stood out because the phrasing for those 2 sentences got a bit unnatural. It bugged me enough to make an account just to ask why haha.

Well, I got my question out and I got an answer, so I'm not gonna harp on this point any further. Thanks for the scanlation. Cheers!

Fed-Kun's army
It's a shame that so many Japanese authors and writers struggle to accurately depict the MC & heroines expressing their love for each other in so many romance mangas.
However, they seem to excel at bloat & milking unrelevant stuff & drama for hundreds of chapters once a series becomes successful.

This stupid roundabout way of a "marriage proposal" & unsatisfying end is just so typical japanese... well there it goes into the "finished mangas folder"

Potential: 8/10
End Result: 3,5/10

Users who are viewing this thread