Tsuki ga Kirei Desu ne

Dex-chan lover
Itou Hachi is a true hero; saving yuri one manga at a time

Dex-chan lover
As cute as fox girl yuri is, I have to say this...

An arranged lesbian marriage? Really? In what way would that ever work?

Dex-chan lover
@OmegaDarkKnight

All I'm saying is that the point of an arranged marriage is the propagation of a family line, typically one of "higher blood". So an arranged marriage between the same sex where there is no chance for the blood line of the family to continue doesn't make any kind of sense even in a society that same-sex marriage is accepted.

Like I said, it's cute sure, but it's completely nonsensical.

P.S. And yes, I do need my fictional marriages between fictional characters in a fictional society to make sense.

Double-page supporter
@Nermie01 There is a longstanding tradition on Japan where you adopt a man to become the new head of the family line, that could happen for several reasons, for example, if you are left without male children or if you have a male child, but you know that he is a complete retard and he will crash the family business in no time, so you find a male that will handle properly the family business. That was common on the past with samurai and the likes and it still happens today with big companies

Japanese adult adoption

All of this means that Chiru and Senri could adopt a girl and then she would become the new head of the family when the time comes.

So yeah, before passing criticism at least research about the matter being handled or you will pass as the one talking nonsense.

Fair enough, depends what you focus on. If you want to preserve your family name, trade or otherwise defined "legacy", then okay. If you do, however, would like to keep your ancestral genetic line going, it makes zero sense. None.

Double-page supporter
@mikegnesium

Well, you are still yanking on the same non issue.
Remember that this was an arranged marriage?, yeah, it was.
Remember that their parents were the ones arranging that marriage?, yeah, they were.
So the parents of Chiru and Senri have not problem on putting their family bloodline on a biological dead end, they are more interested on preserving the family name and the family business.
A good example: remember that Senri has a special book with troves of knowledge and that only the head of the family can read that book, even to the point that Senri's father died trying to protect both his daughter and that book?, yeah, it was.
So the situation can not be more clear, besides the author is not obliged to show things like the family 100 years on the past or on the future or things like that, what matters is the current history, time and characters.

Dex-chan lover
@principeinquisidor I am well aware of this tradition, of course, however I didn't bring it up because it typically occurs with securing a male heir, rather than adopting a female in order to become the head of a family. I am aware that this society they live in is clearly non-standard, but even then you would typically want someone to 'continue the bloodline' (even in the case of an adoptive son, they would often marry a daughter of the original bloodline, to my knowledge). As @mikegnesium says though, it depends on what you're focusing on. If the bloodline itself doesn't matter as long as the family name is preserved, then sure. But otherwise... it makes no sense.

I'd appreciate if you don't act like I'm ignorant.

Double-page supporter
@Nermie01
Well, you are now revealing that you know the cultural motivation behind that practice and that the story purposely modifies that practice to fit with the theme of the story of a country where yuri marriage is accepted and common and that some families may find helpful that practice on certain scenarios, but you withheld all of that information from your comment because it would have undermined your point.
Besides you were the first to use the word non sense, like saying that the author is a writer of nonsense.
So with all of this we could apply the phrases "you sow what you reap" or "hoist with his own petard" to your comments.

@principeinquisidor

How is this a non issue?

The way you're presenting it, arranging the marriage doesn't make any sense. If the head's title is all that matters, then i see no particular reason why the girl couldn't adopt someone by herself in the future. It makes even less sense when you consider young betrothment age and really can't be explained as anything else than not-once-implied-by-the-author "i don't want my daughter to grow old alone" parent concern. Maybe.

The energy that you're spending on defending silly plot device is puzzling - it's here just for yuri to happen, and maybe to add some flavoring to tired old YH formula. Because how many "seemingly aromantic girl meets her closet key in high school / university / office" stories done in almost exact same way can one magazine print in a row before readers will catch on to what's up. Maybe they wouldn't care, but this isn't the risk that any management would be willing to take, so from time to time titles that deviate to varying degree from established path are greenlit for publication.

edited for words and phrasing

@principeinquisidor
I am not spending energy here, I am only using the brain, logic and reason, besides of remitting myself to only what is there in the series.
That opening is in direct contradiction to what followed:

Yes, we know they arranged the marriage when they were pretty young, although we do not know for what reason was arranged that marriage and what benefit could rep those two families from that marriage, but again, the bottom line if that those two families would not nuke themselves for nothing, if there was a pact between the two families then it must be for something useful for both of them. We know that Senri's family is famous and pretty important on their town thanks to their renowned medicines. Then there is Chiru's family that seems to be involved on business, maybe they are merchants and they seem to be pretty rich. So this looks like what you got on Europe when royalty was absolute and all over the whole Europe and when a royal house could expand to several countries thanks to marriages for several generation
Enough. You're not the author here, so stop with world- and character-building, or creating backstories. Point was, story has lots of porous elements with not lot of thought invested in them, and they're more or less playing the part of exotic background for romance.

As for the rest, what i said below in edited response applies:

the author is not obliged to show things like the family 100 years on the past or on the future or things like that, what matters is the current history, time and characters
Okay. You just more or less spelled what i was saying about the initial arrangement being nothing more than a plot device. Just admit you didn't like to hear what you perceived as badmouthing done to your lesbians - which is fine, but justification mental gymnastic isn't.

Double-page supporter
@mikegnesium

What you are missing here is that we are still stuck on the tenth chapter, this series could be a potential long runner, so if you are the author then you would not like to put all the meat on the grill on the first chapter, you will put first the most simple and tenuous frame to give a theme and a reason to the series, on this case it would be an arranged marriage between a young pharmacist girl with a tragic background and a younger ojousama with a pretty normal and happy life, that would be OK for the first chapters, then you begin to put flesh on that frame, like giving more details on the backstory of one of the characters, in this case we learned two chapter ago about the circumstances of the death of Senri's father, so on future chapters we could get details about why the marriage was arranged on that way and a lot more things.

Besides, I still stand on my point that the mangaka is not obligated to do what an anon on some Internet forum wants, after all the direct boss of the mangaka is the editor and on some way the Japanese readers of the Japanese magazine and the Japanese buyers of the several Japanese tankabon, we have not voice there and it must stay that way. Besides, there is different ways to handle a story like for example, Watamote, that was a pretty slow burner on the first 68 chapters, but then they put some new girls characters and now it is nearly godlike, currently at chapter 132 and even being more popular than when the anime aired, at least on Japan and the people it is also taking it as a yuri series, even though it still not a yuri series from the official point of view of the publisher and the duo Nico Tanigawa. Or you could go the of way of Evangelion of putting your brain to work and find for yourself the answers.

Dex-chan lover
@principeinquisidor

You're trying a little too hard to defend this when I myself at least am not attacking it. I am simply trying to state from a biological standpoint, even in a society that is openly accepting of same-sex marriage as this fictional society is, an arranged marriage between the same sex (especially in the case of an influential family that would want to keep their name and bloodline intact) does not really make any sense. I'm not trying to badmouth it, or blame the author for anything, or change the story to my own whims or thoughts. As I said from the start... it's cute, but it doesn't make any sense when you compare it to how these things normally go. If it was just a NORMAL marriage between two girls who fell in love, that's one thing. An arranged marriage is a wholly different beast. I am not trying to insult the author's choices or yuri in general (I'm a huge yuri fan), but in my mind things like this have to make sense, and it really doesn't. You trying to justify it by saying its still early in the story doesn't change the fact that the arranged marriage doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Sure, we might discover something later down the line that explains why a poor traumatized pharmacist girl is for some reason engaged to the daughter of an influential family... but it doesn't make any sense as it stands now, and I stand by that assessment. You can get upset all you want, I am not trying to say anything bad.

Dex-chan lover
Cute series. Not great nor any amazing story and premise, but I really like the art :)

Dex-chan lover
Ahh this is so cute! I feel like my soul is being cleansed...
Senri is so adorably awkward and gay, and Chiru is just too precious. I understand why Senri always wants to feed her sweets.

Users who are viewing this thread