Tsurugi no Joou to Rakuin no Ko - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Fed-Kun's army
English is not my first language, but I had fun reading it, though a bit hard at times.
I'll certainly be following this. Thank you.

Aggregator gang
This is giving me high school PTSD. English Literature had all Shakespeare works and all I thought to myself back then was why the fuck couldn't someone write it in normal(modern?) English.

That said if its faithful to the original script I have no complaints, though the story is kinda harder to follow. Actually its very hard to follow. I had to read the same page upto thrice to get a feel of what they were trying to say.

Though I hope a few people can make summaries each chapter like @Tamerlane to ensure my understanding of events was correct.

Aggregator gang
Either my understanding of speech patterns went haywire or Im reading some real garbage poetry...

I got halfway through this and said "ain't worth it". I'm not going to rack my brain to try to decipher what is going on in a story that uses rhyming old english and seemingly starts in the middle of the story. Author or translator, why would you do this? Seems like it could be interesting if it wasn't so confusing.

Dex-chan lover
Why the hell are you translating it like this? The original light novel has no rhyming or poetry: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/tsurugi-no-joou-to-rakuin-no-ko/?pg=2

QSS

Group Leader
Hahahahhaha that was great I very much enjoyed reading all the rhymes

Wait, it isn't supposed to be all rhymes? I thought it was weird when even the grunts talked like that, but it was understandable. Why is it translated like this though?

Dex-chan lover
I want to say "You're welcome," but that sounds smug, so thank you for your thank you?

I'll also say that Shakespeare is also modern English. If you want to see what non-modern English looks like, here's Chaucer.
Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote,
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licóur
Of which vertú engendred is the flour;

Yeah...Don't even get me started on Old English (From Beowulf)
Hwæt. We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,

Basically, Shakespeare is pretty much modern English with slight differences in pronunciation and some more archaic words. Shakespeare also uses Iambic Pentameter more sparingly to indicate differences in social class and to make points about the state of his characters. (Iambic Pentameter is basically best described as ten syllables per line in unstressed and then stressed syllables, and then a rhyme in an ending couplet each line.)

So yeah, this manga is more readable in comparison to any of that mess.
@GTX1080Ti

Dex-chan lover
@Tamerlane That's interesting and all but, this is still hard to fucking read and understand what they actually mean, especially for people that aren't native English speakers. I can barely figure out actual poetry half the time, this is just confusing.

Did I decide to read at the wrong time? says the chapter is unavailable for me. I'm curious about the rhymes now!

Dex-chan lover
@Leo80221

Poetry be like that. Poetry is the manipulation of language and sound to convey a specific message or idea. You kinda have to be able to "hear" what it would sound like in order to understand it properly.

The best way is to try and read it outloud for yourself if you really having trouble, because it flows better.
@Harry_Dong

That's technically a slant rhyme

ironic.jpg

Fed-Kun's army
Rhymes aside, the one thing I’m disliking so far is how we are just put right in the middle of something, and while a few things are explained it still leaves a lot empty, we’ll probably see more in the other chapters but for a first impression it just makes it all go a little too fast for my taste and leaves a little too many questions

Users who are viewing this thread