Uchi no Musuko wa Tabun Gay - Vol. 2 Ch. 39 - Romance Manga

@Ceiye
I think a lot of straight girls shy away from reading GL is because it usually involves a lot of unwanted physical touch even when the character has stated with been uncomfortable with it, at least this often happens in the ones I tried reading, of course this also happens in BL mangas but perhaps it affects you less because is less relatable.

Can somebody recommend me a good yuri? The ones I get to read are usually super slow or kinda abusive, I wanna see a healthy interesting relationship. I don't mind if there's sex or not. I love romance mangas, so the fact that I didn't fall in love with any shoujo-ai story kinda annoys me a bit.

Kie

Contributor
@chietcom Would you genuinely like some recommendations? In the first place, a lot of BL (shounen ai/yaoi) is written by women because of the way BL first became a thing (through older, pioneering women who wrote some of the most famous classic shoujo, namely the Year 24 Group and others; they were one of the firsts to explore same-sex relationships, gender, etc.) When you're looking for gay works written by gay men, BL isn't the popular place for that - bara is. I'd suggest My Brother's Husband is you want one of the best manga of the genre, by one of its most prolific authors. There's also Areyo Hoshikuzu (forgive the wiki links), by another well-known author. MD doens't have the cache of bara that you might be looking for though; myreadingmanga and mangago have more gay content, though the latter is more BL while the former is kind of a free-for-all.

But on a side note, BL nowadays tends to be a lot better than the BL of the 2000's and early 2010's; rape (eugh) isn't super common place anymore. If you wanted BL recs, then check out Sasaki to Miyano as another person said, Given (which is genuine art; the author's also done other stories that are good reads), Umibe no Étranger and its sequel series, For Your Love (Korean webtoon; light and fluffy; and its sequel Form of Sympathy, which is more mature and just came out) or whatever would seem to appeal to you by Ogeretsu Tanaka. For less romance-heavy, plot-centric works, Golden Days by Takao Shigeru, No. 6 (the novel, though manga/anime could work; it's a good sci-fi dystopian read before dystopian became YA), King's Maker (webtoon; but probably my favourite of BL webtoons), Moritat (another webtoon), and Majo no Geboku to Maou no Tsuno (explores gender and sexuality clumsily but earnestly; don't let the first couple of chapters fool you) are all great reads.

Double-page supporter
@Junhina Octave does an overall fairly good job of that. There's some rough patches in the relationship but I remember it overall being a fairly good story. Shimanami Tasogare also has a well written lesbian couple, although they are not the main focus.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
@Junhina

If you're looking for more josei type GL, check out the stuff Sexy Akiba Detectives scans. I'm a fan of this one:
https://mangadex.org/title/30097/so-do-you-want-to-go-out-or

I wouldn't say this one is "healthy" but it's not abusive either. It's been a pretty realistic portrayal of college students in love tbh, with all the ups and downs that normally come with a couple, straight, gay or otherwise.

Kakeochi Girl was super great too. A little dramatic but touching. It feels like the kind of story that would adapt well to a tv drama.

Fed-Kun's army
Coming from a similar vein, I'm disappointed at the general idea that girls can consume media for boys/boys' stuff is seen as "general audience" but boys can't take part of girls stuff. Vaguely recalling how a female author for kids' books or YA is seen as a "girls only" author and some boys thought they couldn't read or enjoy her books because of that.

Also related, I saw Blue Flag on Mangaplus and thought "oh a high school romance story. Art look s great so I'll give it a go." Did not expect the wild ride that awaited me to the end.

Dex-chan lover
I think it's rare to find a guy who reads BL (gay or straight, etc) than girls (gay or straight, etc) who read GL. There was a survey this year that women in Japan actually don't mind GL and enjoy reading it. Most of them had the mindset of "if there is good chemistry with the characters then I will enjoy the romance". I agree with that myself even if I am a man or woman. However, you don't really find many men who do read them. I am not talking about demographic (anyone can read anything) but just getting interested in it.

If we're recommending BL in this comment thread my suggestion is Hidamari ga kikoeru

Double-page supporter
@Kie That's a solid wall of recommendations, thanks. I haven't really read much BL, (I guess it's easier for me to identify with characters in yuri, or something), but I've been meaning to look into it.

Kie

Contributor
@deCarabasHJ Glad you could find it useful. (I'd also add a previous commeter's suggestion of Hidamari ga Kikoeru, which is a favourite.) I completely understand about some genres perhaps not resonating as much with your own experiences (I took my time dipping my toes in GL as well, so yeah), but I've just happened luckily find ones that I like. Hopefully you can too!

Double-page supporter
I'm a straight guy who has read a ton of shoujo/josei stuff so I'm hardly opposed to stepping out of my element but BL is not something I can not enjoy in the slightest. It's not even because it's "gay"...actually it's more like it isn't even. Real gay men do not behave like that. Nobody behaves like that. It's like this totally alien and unrelatable culture...

Incidentally I am reading and enjoying this manga because the characters actually are pretty grounded and relatable but then this isn't exactly BL.

@Kevadu I agree, and I find it's exactly the same with a lot of yuri too, which is why I don't really read much of that either.

so when is koi men coming out? (toothy smile) looking.forward.to.it.okura.sensei. lol jk

there was a time in my life where i ONLY read BL. not an embarassing time for me at all but thinking back on it i'm so surprised how i never read anything else.

Dex-chan lover
@Kevadu Big same.

Yuri/GL also isn't as afflicted by terrible art as BL tends towards either. There is much I can forgive if the art is cute (I wasted a portion of my life reading Citrus, for example). In fact, I'm reading Inaka ni Kaeru to Yakeni Natsuita Kasshoku Ponytail Shota ga Iru mostly because it's cute, and that's hella gay (except it's not gay if it's cute, and ponytail shotas are CUTE).

Users who are viewing this thread