Uchi no Musuko wa Tabun Gay - Vol. 5 Ch. 98 - Our son might be [part 2]

Dex-chan lover
although im super happy that the dad is someone who would accept and love his son for who he is, i think he accepted it too quickly.. especially with everything he's been saying about queer people so far.

I think it would have been much more satisfying for a few chapters of him coming to terms that his visions for his son's future are different from what he imagined (my dad is very similar to him, so maybe thats why i feel his eager quick acceptance is too jarring and unrealistic lmao)

edit: I don't mean the dad has to be homophobic or that it has to super angsty. I mean for a more satisfying narrative, it would have been nice to see how he restructures his thoughts around queer people from the revelation that his son is gay. Like even just half a chapter of reflection, maybe a small call back to his wife's gay coworker and that his son could have that kind of acceptance and happiness too.

But I also understand that queer people just need stories of just pure acceptance (like I said, me as a queer with my kinda homophobic dad lmao) Just merely critiquing how the story could be improved a bit from a comic artist/writer standpoint.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I never thought about the position of one parent being supportive and their partner possibly not so much. It's nice that the dad is a cute bumbling sweetheart, but I feel it's a missed opportunity to really explore how much it sucks to see someone you love reject their own child. Argh, to have to choose between your husband and child! 😢

But I'm pretty sure the author couldn't stand turning his happy slice of life into angsty drama.

Dex-chan lover
although im super happy that the dad is someone who would accept and love his son for who he is, i think he accepted it too quickly.. especially with everything he's been saying about queer people so far.

I think it would have been much more satisfying for a few chapters of him coming to terms that his visions for his son's future are different from what he imagined (my dad is very similar to him, so maybe thats why i feel his eager quick acceptance is too jarring and unrealistic lmao)
Idk while I think immediate acceptance is like, unrealistic for the dad's character, I think he's also been shown to have been thinking about the topic of how he treats gay people for a while. Granted, treating your son is different—family dynamics are always messy—but the author has always wanted to portray this family as an accepting one.

We don't really get that, especially in manga.

Dex-chan lover

I don't know, I feel like there's all types.

Some are really only held back by the idea that only strangers could be that way, confronted with an actual person sometimes it can crumble. Like with the gay couple he said something thoughtless but didn't actually have disdain for that specific couple, just Gays At Large.

He'll probably still say some messed up things without thinking but it was more like, unease than true dislike I think? He'll probably still need to come to term with accepting The Gays, but is already to terms with accepting his son.

That's my interpretation, at least.

edit: I don't mean the dad has to be homophobic or that it has to super angsty. I mean for a more satisfying narrative, it would have been nice to see how he restructures his thoughts around queer people from the revelation that his son is gay. Like even just half a chapter of reflection, maybe a small call back to his wife's gay coworker and that his son could have that kind of acceptance and happiness too.

But I also understand that queer people just need stories of just pure acceptance (like I said, me as a queer with my kinda homophobic dad lmao) Just merely critiquing how the story could be improved a bit from a comic artist/writer standpoint.
It's hard to believe but it happens, especially when it's the form of homophobia he's been showing all series. I say this because like you, I saw a parent in the father character. My mum grew up with a similar mindset, however after I came out to her she pretty much changed her tune instantly and nowadays does things like arrange the local pride parade. Some people need time to rethink their opinions, some people can choose to try to change instantly, both happen and as long as it ends with them learning and growing it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread