Ueno-san wa Bukiyou - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Rokka-kun

Contributor
I’m out of the loop. Is this still a response to that Meraki-Facepalm drama?

Dex-chan lover
Okay okay, what the fuck is going on here. I'm obviously missing some drama shit. The thing is, should I care? And if I do, can someone summarize it for me please? Thanks, have a good day.

Let Facepalm and Meraki kill each other alone, please don't get involved with stupid scanlator drama.

Contributor
oh yeah I love these extra credit pages as much as I hated seeing the sheer stupidity of what went through without anyone from the staff intervening

Dex-chan lover
There's a fire on that hill over there.

Man, sure am glad I'm not on that hill.

Thank you for continuing your work.

Group Leader
The fact that almost no one in this comment section knows the details is proof already that MangaDex have failed to make an example of this situation.

@Sunny Normally I would agree with you. Of course I don't want to get involved. But I'm not sure I would call this "scanlator drama" - from where I stand, this is MangaDex rules drama. This site I post all of my work to is very important to me. To see the rules written with such gaping loopholes is a problem to begin with, but that those loopholes have already been abused is worse. They will continue to be abused until they are addressed. MangaDex appears to have chosen not to address them this time, and so they remain for me to abuse. All I want is to know what MangaDex's stance on the situation is, and currently, the stance they are choosing not to take is speaking volumes. People left the site over this, no matter how you cut it or what your stance may be. Is this just going to happen again in the future?

But I don't have any intention of stopping my work. I enjoy it too much. So to move to a different topic, this chapter is only one of the three I had skipped over when I first began, and I plan to do two and three next, because June is the one year anniversary of my picking up Ueno-san. I'm also doing this so that I can package entire volumes up as downloads to post on my scanlation blog. Finally, it occurred to me these chapters' titles have fun explanations to write, and it just seemed a shame to skip out on a perfect streak.

Group Leader
This is dumb as fuck. Nobody cares. Thanks for the already translated chapter and the whining about scanlation drama. Nice to see a translator I somewhat respected for picking up a great series and doing a good job on it throw himself into the mud to wrestle with the other pig-fucking retards.

Impressive people are this worried about another for-profit group realizing MangaDex is not the best place for them, having a fit, and leaving. At least when Fallen Angels (O.G. scum group) left they took some real series with them. Nobody will even notice this group being gone.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Bainhardt
It's been our longstanding policy that it is not our place to police scanlation. We believe that could lead to a slippery slope.

We can't have a rule for every situation under the sun. We put up a rule and people will find ways to circumvent it. Rule 5.1, Be Civil, and its related rules should be more than enough to cover how people should conduct themselves on MD, both on comments and within chapters.

I was curious about the so-called drama, since I hadn't heard about any of it. So I did a little digging. I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/scanlationdrama/comments/bvozl5/meraki_scans_boycott_md_due_to_mangadex_staff/

So, the tl;dr is that Hatigarm was scanlating a series, then Facepalm started scanlating it as well, and they put this as their credits:

https://i.imgur.com/Fb1QfXH.png

Meraki is friends with Hatigarm, and they got upset by this and then decided to leave MangaDex (deleting all their chapters). The drama originated here:

https://mangadex.org/thread/88747/1

Honestly, that thread looks really tame to me. You have people on both sides (pro-donations and anti-donations) arguing their points in a constructive and thoughtful manner.

Personally, I don't think Facepalm is in the wrong here. Yeah, their credit page is crude (in multiple ways), but they're not attacking or insulting anybody (if they did they would be breaking MangaDex's rules). And their "anti-donation" beliefs are shared by many other people as well.

The only thing that seems odd to me is Meraki's claim that they weren't allowed to comment on the credit page. If that's true, then I think that's wrong: people should be allowed to comment on the credit page (assuming they stay within the rules while doing so). And since many other people were allowed to comment on the credit page, that makes me feel like Meraki is lying or exaggerating the situation.

Group Leader
I hope this thread isn't going to change into that argument aswell.
Though I think we should respect the group decision if they choose to ask for donations.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Pauan
I had asked Meraki to not perpetuate group drama in the chapter discussion thread since, at the time, credit pages/group drama was not considered part of the story that users were there to discuss. I asked them to, instead, move the discussion to group pages, direct messages, or credit pages. I warned them that it would most likely lead to me having to lock the thread, which no one wants to do. One of the leaders of Meraki then told MD to delete their chapters. We complied.

The interpretation of the rule I was referring to when I asked them to please keep chapter discussion on topic has since changed since this incident.

Group Leader
@Bainhardt
I'm really surprised you immediately jumped to this, instead of attempting to join the discussion and have your voice be heard.
You say that you care a lot about mangadex, but you're jumping the gun and going straight for the protesting instead of directly contacting Mangadex staff and joining the conversation.

Am I missing something? Did you at least try to contact them? If so, then maybe I can see why you'd jump to this, your actions could be justified, but right now it seems like you're mad no one is listening to you, when you're all by yourself screaming into a pillow.

@Zephyrus I see, thanks for the extra context! Personally, I think anything related to the chapter (including credit pages) should be allowed to be discussed in the comments. So I'm glad the rule got changed.

Users who are viewing this thread