Ueno-san wa Bukiyou - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Rokka-kun

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Pauan
Just to clarify in case people go looking for changed rules, the rule in question (don't be disruptive; stay on topic) merely had its interpretation changed.

Group Leader
I agree, the folks who run Mangadex are really making me wish Batoto still existed. This is a pale pathetic piece of shit compared to that site, and it shows.

Go ahead and block me for speaking the truth.

Group Leader
@Neck Thank you for your eloquent words and your honest opinion. I'm somewhat sorry to have lost your respect because I decided to express an opinion about something you feel is a waste of time. If it is important to me, I do not want to be silent. And because I was not silent, I have gotten a very prompt response.

@Zephyrus Thank you for your very prompt response. I expected to have to do this on multiple more updates in the future before anyone would bother. I'm disappointed to hear your conclusion on the subject and hope this situation does not repeat itself in the future. I find the entire matter distasteful and unbecoming of a site where scanlators are allegedly treated with respect.

@DrWhoCares I reported the offending chapter with a somewhat extensive explanation of my feelings on the matter (screencap upon request), and I feel 3 days is plenty of time for even the barest of announcements along the lines of "we're discussing the matter, details to be announced soon."

I have edited this chapter to its original intended version I made for when this was no longer necessary. At anyone's request I will offer images or explanations of what transpired, because my intention is not to erase history, merely to move it aside when it is no longer needed. Thank you everyone for your time.

Staff
Super Moderator
@Tarage
Our rules are there for a reason.

Sometimes we find out that the rules need to be changed or refined.

Group Leader
@Zephyrus Your. Rules. Are. Shit.
Your. Reasons. Are. Shit.

You knew this was a problem for MONTHS and you have done nothing. Ever wonder how Batoto never seemed to run into problems like this, where scanlators were abandoning you? Gee, I wonder why.

You are a circlejerk. I've seen it personally on your discord. You sit around and jack each other off while the world burns around you.

Group Leader
Mangadex has never and will never have the scanlators' best interests. Period.

@Bainhardt
I really respect your scanlation work and I think it's totally valid that you want to be part of this discussion, but you expressed your opinion in the most inappropriate way possible.

@Tarage
Stop shitting up unrelated manga comment pages with your irrelevant opinions.
Also, if you don't like it you can do the same as the Meraki divas and leave, no one is forcing you to use this site lmao.

Dex-chan lover
@Zephirus that the rules allow scanlators to harass others scanlators just because there aren't direct insults is textbook "lawful stupid"

Staff
Super Moderator
@Bainhardt
I want to make it painfully clear that the following is my *personal opinion* and does not reflect the previous statements I made as MD staff:

What's really unbecoming and distasteful is that scanlators behave like children and feel the need to taunt each other, for whatever reason, via credit pages or whatever. We are not a daycare. We are not a babysitter. We are merely a platform that exists to serve scanlators and help them reach a wider audience. The rules we have in place are there to enforce basic civility, lest we become the MAL forums or a chan. We don't care about sniping. We don't care about group drama. We care about helping people read good manga and support the scanlators that do it.

I used to believe that we needed rules in place to enforce good behavior but after the amount of reports on manga comments and forums alone (we had to hire two more forum mods in the space of 3 months just to keep up) I quite agree with my fellow staff that it's too much work for too little reward. If you want things to change, consider doing so by setting an example.

Miku best girl
Admin
@Tarage

You are entitled to your opinions.

The real question is why you are still using our site when you clearly do not agree with our rules? There are a plethora of other aggregators out there; no one is forcing you to use us whatsoever.

@Bainhardt

Personally I believe that if we start policing scanlation, then we'd be showing more disrespect to scanlators, do you not agree? One of our founding principles is that we should not be policing scanlation. Of the 600,000+ chapters uploaded to the site, we have only ever removed a page from 1 chapter due to its extremely offensive nature (that I can recall).

In any case, if you have any further concerns, we are always available on discord to discuss stuff like this at length.

Group Leader
@Holo Why? Because of times like this, when I get to laugh my ass off at you. Which I am doing. Right now.

@Zephyrus "Oh no, running a website shittily is hard work. Please pity me." You don't support shit.

@Sunny Stop breathing kthx.

@Tarage I don't really want to derail this thread, but I do want to point out that Batoto had disagreements with scanlators all the fucking time. Many many many scanlators were upset with how Batoto handled things, so don't pretend like Batoto was unicorns and rainbows and MangaDex is gargoyles and hellspawn. Literally any large group is going to get complaints and people who disagree with the group's policies.

Group Leader
@Sunny Respect and/or "appropriate" expressions of opinion were not required in this discussion, because the instigators of the entire incident willfully chose not to behave respectfully in any capacity. It was, in effect, a "join em if you can't beat em" attempt to do the same bad things until I found a line that, when crossed, got me punished or banned. And once that line is defined, the rule is updated, and previous incidents are re-contexualized.

@Zephyrus I agree with everything you have said, and personally, I feel you should express this opinion more often.

Staff
Super Moderator
@Tarage
Please be more civil when in a discussion. If you disagree with a statement, please don't resort to personal attacks. Attack the argument, not the person.

Thanks,

Zeph

@Holo @Zephyrus I just want to say thank you. I completely agree with your stance.

I've seen how censoring "for the greater good" or to "avoid hurting people's feelings" causes so many problems on other platforms, and I really don't want MangaDex going down that route.

So I'm really happy to see sane level-headed moderators who understand that sharing a controversial opinion is not the same as attacking somebody.

Dex-chan lover
Heh, I remember when Batoto deleted all of Rapeman uploads without ever offering a explanation.

In the subject of swipes, remember when LHT was doing 5Toubun no Hanayome and people in /a/ got annoyed at their translations and decided to start working on it and then LHT dropped it? Remember when Dropout got so behind Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet they started releasing chapters to close the gap?

There always been divisions and there will always be divisions, aggregators? I recall how Batoto started when credit pages were pretty much anti-aggregator sites, I recall StopTazmo and Jesus Christ that was over a decade ago, STOP MAKING ME FEEL OLD! Bloodly Hell ... point being people will be people, some people really dont like others and made no secret of it or how some people operate, donations is just one part of the scene and you will always have people that will be against it as people that will ask for then.

And asking for MD to take a stand in one side is exactly that, its telling MD either stands with then or against then ... another line and for what? does anyone remembers RedHawkScans? a lot of groups dont last and the groups that last also go over staff so people that started a series arent likely to be the ones ending it 4-5 years later.

I am and will always be grateful for the work done but if that starts with a price ... well that different then.

Dex-chan lover
@Exile the problem wasn't about "sniping" per se, but deliberately attacking the other scanlator through the credit page while doing so, and the impression that MD refuses to address that behaviour to avoid the responsibility of making an active choice

@Bainhardt
What I meant by my previous comment is that putting your opinion about the drama in a comment page is pretty inefficient when compared to expressing it on the forum or on discord.
I won't comment about how the "instigators" chose to not behave "respectfully" because apparently we have different opinions on the subject matter and I don't want to keep fueling the drama.

@Tarage
Don't you think crying about the mods not defending some diva group throwing a tantrum while openly supporting personal attacks is a little hypocritical? It's hard to take your arguments seriously when you contradict yourself every two comments.

@Entryhazard
The point is that they didn't attack the other scanlators directly, they just criticized one of their practices. It's not their fault that the other scanlators felt so related by it that they ragequit.
It was a crude way to do it? Yeah, but that doesn't justify the childish behavior of the ragequitters because they weren't attacked directly.

Users who are viewing this thread