Ueno-san wa Bukiyou - Vol. 6 Ch. 55 - Nonederwear

Fed-Kun's army
@Bainhardt isn't the whole invention the imaginary waist strap part that holds it up?

Like, the visible pastie looking bit she flashed (zomg, lewdest this manga has been) being the "real" part of the product for everyone, so for the tech demo (and to be lewd to Tanaka) she imagined the strap part was invisible to prove it wasn't there, whereas in normal use she'd imagine it to look like normal underwear but without the uncomfortable strap, which would then look like normal underwear and he'd say "that's normal underwear, your invention is a lie" or something.

Dunno if she imagined a swimmers layer over the real material only and left the imaginary strap transparent, or if the real layer this time is swimmers material.

I think?

Maybe she meant to imagine the full underwear cover back on for the second flash, but the dropped skirt confused her and she left it transparent from the previous top "look I'm not wearing any" flash?

Lets face it, none of her inventions make much sense anyway

Fed-Kun's army
Looks like she cut her panties in half and glued it onto herself to me. Also the beginning of this chapter reminds me of the chapter where if you try to upskirt, it just shows blackness.

@smashman42 @Bainhardt I think it's simpler than that. Her prank is relying on the logic that swimsuits have similar levels of exposure but aren't supposed to be embarrassing to be seen in and she claimed her invention is designed the same. Tanaka buys that excuse after the explanation of what makes the difference but how he phrased it broke Ueno's immersion, and forced her to stop considering it as just like a swimsuit, thus it suddenly becomes mortifying for him to see her exposed in it. The "even though it looks like that" part- that made her unable to think it's no different from normal swimsuit because he pretty expressly states it isn't. All the stuff about how the invention worked and even the first demonstration was just setup for this, it stopped being part of the bit after the first time- the invisible strap was just the excuse to drop her skirt and launch the humiliation assault.

Fed-Kun's army
@TheGTF so you don't think the lewd AF pastie undies is the thing, just the underwear/swimwear thing got in her head? Geez, I'd be more worried about the weird pastie lookin thing myself. Looks almost like a freakin pad stuck on her snatch instead of to her underwear

@smashman42 Normal people would think that but Ueno doesn't make good decisions and her thought process defies common sense all the time.

The base form of the invention being very low rise, pasties does get to her, but the punchline is how and why it does. Her prank definitely hinges on the invention default appearance being dismissed as no different from swimsuit, thus needing to state its just like one and thus okay to be seen in as well as having to explain why its different from underwear. She only can't maintain the mental gymnastics once Tanaka points out it really doesn't look like a swimsuit while accepting her explanation, "even though it looks like THAT" and then the base form of her invention's appearance being what we all say it looks like comes crashing into her face. Right after he says that she basically looks down and thinks "what do you mean looks like that.......oooooooh, oh no" The logical reality is it that it of course IS her underwear and that it's very minimal but Ueno gotta Ueno.

This sort of gag has been done a few times in other series I've read, the argument that exposure via swimsuits is normal and intended, and thus there's nothing indecent about it. Kyou no Asuka Show did something similar for example. Asuka she sees a segment on TV featuring some girls complaining about being looked at in their swimsuits on the beach, her confused because swimsuits are meant to be seen, they're not underwear. So she galaxy brains the idea to wear her school swimsuit out on the street during a monsoon to prove it's unreasonable to be embarrassed because the garment is intended to be out in the open, and meant to get wet. The moment it stopped raining though, she retreats in embarrassment of being so exposed- yielding to the context deciding if it was weird or not. Other series have done the gag, typically with sporty but unguarded tomboy characters who don't care if somebody sees up their skirt because they have bloomers, spats, or a swimsuit on underneath, garments that are dismissed as okay for others to see (by virtue of inherently being outer wear) and thus the upskirt in of itself reveals nothing indecent or embarrassing- said bits are usually followed by said girl being yelled at for the lack of decency. Bakemonogatari plays with this during Suruga Monkey, as Kanbaru makes the argument to Araragi but then adds doubt in his head as to whether or not she has anything on under her spats and questions if that turns her spats from outer wear meant to be seen into underwear she has sticking out for the world to see but normally should be better concealed.

Dex-chan lover
Ueno is getting lewder and dumber with each chapter that comes out, I like it!

Group Leader
Okay, now that I'm awake again and reviewing, I think I made some slight translation errors, mostly brought about by the text explaining the function of the invention.
Basically, I thought that the device created a visual representation of the wearer's imagination, but I don't think that's actually correct now that I'm looking over it again.

If anyone is interested in the Japanese text, I'll include it below:
nZxzAdP.png

1: ウロボトム
2: 研究中である自己補完暗示仮想具現装置の性質を転用
3: 本来未実装である固定部位の存在を布自身に錯覚させ機能そのものを獲得するに至った
The explanation this time was not fun to comb through. This is the kind of text Google Translate looks at and goes, "are you sure you didn't mean Chinese?" I think I got the important stuff, though.
4: つまりこの謎の半端布は
Diagram: 実像 (real portion) / 虚像 (illusion)
5: 気持ちだけで衣服として成立しているのだ
This last line was particularly important on review; I read it as something like "[using] only your feelings, clothing comes into existence!"
However, I think it was instead meant to be read "it creates nothing but the feeling of clothing!" which I've fixed.

Anyway, assuming I don't have it wrong again, I think that would mean that @TheGTF had the right idea. Ueno didn't think through what it would actually look like wearing it and became embarrassed when it was pointed out. You know I've been working on this manga for too long when the idea of on-the-fly transforming imaginary underwear makes more sense to me than the much simpler alternative LOL

Dex-chan lover
I feel like the goal this time is different than before

This time she outright says she wants to scar him for life with shame, which is different from injecting herself into his brain as a sexual object

You okay, Ueno? Or has your genius brain finally broken in half?

Ueno's going to be making contraceptives for Tanaka to test in about two volumes, given this manga's increasing horny level.

Users who are viewing this thread