Urasekai Picnic - Vol. 12 Ch. 66 - The Matter of That Farm III

Aggregator gang
OoooF... Poor Toriko. Sorawo is so dense! Can't blame her though. She spent so much of her years on Cult Survival mode that she can't fathom complicated emotions. Right now, she's simplifying her relationship with Toriko. Toriko is important to her survival because of Otherside business and can't process any other aspects in her life which Toriko affects.

Toriko! Be patient with your emotionally stunted girlfriend. I'm sure she'll catch up in a year or two! Then you can show all about Otherworldy pleasures!

Sorawo: You're not my boyfriend but it should always be us together! Alone! Just you and me!
Toriko: 🙃

S-Sorawo PLEASE! First you're all

"Why are you so fixated on another girl when you have me by your side."

and now you're

"Why are you so clingy today, its like you're my boyfriend or something? It's weird."

How are you so dense!

Fed-Kun's army
I wonder how the mangaka will draw their mind-blowing sex chapter.

Idk if Toriko's ethnicity has been mentioned before, I wonder if Toriko is japanese, mixed, or white Canadian genetically?

S-Sorawo PLEASE! First you're all

"Why are you so fixated on another girl when you have me by your side."

and now you're

"Why are you so clingy today, its like you're my boyfriend or something? It's weird."

How are you so dense!
I dont really get how she went from obsessive insane to completely uncomprehending.

ALSO ALSO. What the fuck happened to that confession????? Seriously, what happened? Did Sorawo get mindwiped or something? Are they just not gonna bring it up, was it a typo on the translators side?
What gigantic balls you need to have as a Yuri writer to subvert the "confession by 200" concept, and then literally erase that confession from the story.

Dex-chan lover
I dont really get how she went from obsessive insane to completely uncomprehending.
She didn't go from obsessively insane to completely uncomprehending. She never comprehended anything in the first place and has spent all this time believing that she has no romantic feelings for Toriko.
ALSO ALSO. What the fuck happened to that confession????? Seriously, what happened? Did Sorawo get mindwiped or something?
Toriko definitely meant that as a confession and even assumed it worked and Sorawo was like, "I bet she means that as friends" like the lesbian that she is. Toriko's patience and understanding are buddha-like.

Dex-chan lover
The funniest thing is that it's revealed in an extra story (can't remember where to read it, unfortunately) that Sorawo has taken a Queer Studies class (or a similar class). This woman not only knows what gay is, but has an academic knowledge of it.

And she still can't recognize that Toriko is into her.

Y'all are gonna go wild when Toriko tells Sorawo "Oh yeah, here's my picture of my TWO MOMS. No, I didn't have a dad, by the way. Just two moms. At the same time."
Edit: Wait. Nevermind, that happened already in the magna. Haven't read it in a while.

Edit: Here is the link to the side story (fan translation). It's gender studies, not queer studies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MyrXE7XJrbL-NeTT5-f_okuvDwe5AogIhukaCWCHl9w/edit?usp=sharing
Well, she’s not used to the idea of wanting to be around people, so she’s never thought about anything like that relating to herself.

also, not noticing another girl is into you is the gayest thing in the world.

I once drove 3 hours in weather so cold my car’s heater couldn’t keep up in order to celebrrate new year’s alone with another woman and spent a week before that wondering “is this a date?”

Long story short, we were married in three months.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
What gigantic balls you need to have as a Yuri writer to subvert the "confession by 200" concept, and then literally erase that confession from the story.
Because this isn’t yuri. It’s more realistic than yuri, because it sometimes takes place in the real world.
It’s just gay as Xmas.

Dex-chan lover
Because this isn’t yuri. It’s more realistic than yuri, because it sometimes takes place in the real world.
It’s just gay as Xmas.
It's 100% yuri. The author has even said that the yuri in this made him human. Yuri is frequently like this and frequently realistic. This is fairly typical for yuri.

Dex-chan lover
It's 100% yuri. The author has even said that the yuri in this made him human. Yuri is frequently like this and frequently realistic. This is fairly typical for yuri.
Siiiiiiiiiigh.
🤦‍♀️ Time to dissect the frog.

The stuff that’s on the “yuri” shelf in stores in japan generally follows genre tropes. “Whispering You a Love Song”, Marimite… There’s a structure set of character archetypes, stock relationship dynamics…
Then you have stuff like “The Guy She Was Interested in…” where it’s just a story that’s gay, and is in the “romance“ section.
On the other side, “Crossplay Love…” is in “gag comedy” not “BL”, because it’s not at all structured like BL, at all.

Things are trending more towards realism in queer media in Japan, but genres have structures.

So, that is the general background for the joke.

Dex-chan lover
The stuff that’s on the “yuri” shelf in stores in japan generally follows genre tropes. “Whispering You a Love Song”, Marimite… There’s a structure set of character archetypes, stock relationship dynamics…
Comic Yuri Hime has comics ranging from Whisper Me A Love Song to Yuri Is My Job to the Summer You Were There to Garan no Hime.

The Guy She Was Interested In is a bizarre example to give, btw, because it doscribes itself explicitly as yuri in its marketing in japanese. Because, newsflash, yuri is a descriptor of lesbian romance stories.

Otherside Picnic is also described as yuri in its marketing and by its author. Because this weird distinction between stories with stock relationship and story structures (yuri) and those tending toward realism (romance) isn't really a thing.

Dex-chan lover
Comic Yuri Hime has comics ranging from Whisper Me A Love Song to Yuri Is My Job to the Summer You Were There to Garan no Hime.

The Guy She Was Interested In is a bizarre example to give, btw, because it doscribes itself explicitly as yuri in its marketing in japanese. Because, newsflash, yuri is a descriptor of lesbian romance stories.

Otherside Picnic is also described as yuri in its marketing and by its author. Because this weird distinction between stories with stock relationship and story structures (yuri) and those tending toward realism (romance) isn't really a thing.
Jesus crepes.
I EXPLAINED THE BACKGROUND OF A JOKE IN DETAIL AND YOU’RE TAKING THE JOKE SERIOUSLY YET ALSO NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS OF SAID EXPLANATION.

”yuri is really tropey and is a genre. This doesn’t have most of those tropes, and has a large focus on the plot.”

”Yuri is a descriptor of lesbian romance stories” Yuri often has no men, and/or everyone is kinda gay, or no one is actually gay it’s just a phase, or… None of that seems realistic or related to lesbians.

”The Guy…” is in the “romance” section of official storefronts. The artist was once quoted at not wanting to write a yuri story.
“But some corporations said-“ I don’t care. Appeal to authority fallacy.
Netflix put Card Captor Sakura in the “kids” section. That doesn’t make it ok for kids to watch.

It’s not short for “lesbian love stories” or even a synonym for “GL”.
It is a genre. I’ve been consuming (and to a much lesser extent producing) media of many kinds for over 4 decades.
I know the differences between “romantic comedy“ and “romance with comedic elements“/“comedy with romantic themes”.

Genres exist, for better or worse.

”Gothic” isn’t a descriptor for “horror story that takes place in an old building”. There’s more meaning behind the term in the context of storytelling.

In case all of this went over your head:
BL and geikomi are different things, too.

Dex-chan lover
I EXPLAINED THE BACKGROUND OF A JOKE IN DETAIL AND YOU’RE TAKING THE JOKE SERIOUSLY YET ALSO NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS OF SAID EXPLANATION.
Your explanation was wrong and stupid.
”Yuri is a descriptor of lesbian romance stories” Yuri often has no men, and/or everyone is kinda gay, or no one is actually gay it’s just a phase, or… None of that seems realistic or related to lesbians.
Everybody being gay or there being no men involved is realistic and related to lesbians. Have you met any of us?

Also, there is no romance in Otherside Picnic which isn't lesbian. This is precisely an "everyone is gay" story.
”The Guy…” is in the “romance” section of official storefronts.
Well, if you look at this official storefront, it is tagged with "百合" aka yuri.
It’s not short for “lesbian love stories” or even a synonym for “GL”.
Yuri is a term for lesbians which became associated with lesbian romance through josei magazines in the 90s. Yes, it is a name for the genre. And that genre is lesbian romance. Go read any volume of Comic Yuri Hime, the biggest yuri magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread