Urasekai Picnic - Vol. 4 Ch. 22 - Time, Space and a Middle-aged Man IX

Ill start to doubt my existence too at this rate , lmfao this manga is insane , in a good way.
Is that really Satsuki or something inpersonating her? IF IT IS HER SHE MUTATED WAY MORE THAN I THOUGHT LOL
Thanks for the translations again.Awesome job.

Roadside Picnic meets Shin Megami Tensei.

I like it.

It resembles Wakusei Closet. And Maybe "Propeller Heaven"

Dex-chan lover
Fuck a cliffhanger, I wanna know what happens next!
Thanks for the translation work!

Dex-chan lover
The thing I love about this is, usually I hate horror and think "nope, no reason I'd ever have anything to do with that," but here I'm super curious about what is going on.

I've read this section of the LN multiple times and I still felt that cliffhanger.

Also: windmill woman.

Edit: For those of you who, like me, have more money than patience (and like reading novels): https://j-novel.club/v/otherside-picnic-volume-1

Woah a cliffhanger in the best moment, ngl getting surrounded by "sunflowers" and being stared by them would drive me nuts, poor kozakura tho

@Kabeidon_ the "pin/windmill" works like hasshaku-sama, but short answer
yes and no, if you want to deduce it by yourself, just never forget the blue light, long answer as of Vol3 LN
it is probable this was the first manifestation of Fourth Kind Satsuki after getting in contact with whatever is beyond the blue light

Some nice character development in this chapter..interesting to see that Sorawo is painfully aware of her own faults but marches on anyway because she wants to save Toriko

So none are gonna talk about how Sorawo just left her scaredy cat comrade being a plant for Toriko? I know it's not like that haha

Dex-chan lover
Woah I really like the sketchy disconnected lines to express whatever feeling that is
also sorry, I'm a dumbass but can someone like help explain all of this?

Thank you to the person who mentioned that the plants were based on the Voynich manuscript. New knowledge obtained. Wow.

A side-by-side comparison.

Example-1.png

At first I was confused at how Sorawo's eye could literally turn Kozakura into a plant, and why she would think it worked that way, but then I remembered that her eye changes the way that everyone interacts with the Otherside entities. Still, things are apparently the same from Kozakura's perspective either way. And did her form change back when Sorawo focused on different "layers" of the phenomenon?

I'm starting to wonder how the doppelgangers work, how they're connected both to the person who is viewing them and the person that they resemble. The first time these kinds of illusions came up, it was when Abarato briefly mistook both Sorawo and Toriko for his wife. Soon afterwards, he mistook Hasshaku-sama for his wife (though the illusion wasn't complete at first, but he claimed that it looked more like his wife as he drew closer), while Toriko saw Satsuki and Sorawo saw Toriko. Now, they've found Satsuki and Sorawo herself in Sorawo's phone, followed by actually seeing Sorawo's doppelganger in the Otherside and then seeing Satsuki in place of the windmill thing. Do all of these illusions have different causes and different rules? Are they purely illusions? Are they solely drawn from the viewer's mind?

One reason why I'm curious about this is "Satsuki's" strange eyes. Supposing that her image is drawn solely from the mind of the viewer (or one of the viewers, anyway), one would assume Satsuki already had eyes like that when she was around; but, if that was the case, Toriko and Kozakura probably wouldn't have been so perplexed by Toriko and Sorawo's mutations. So it's unlikely that this image of Satsuki was simply taken from Toriko's mind. Does that mean that Satsuki is projecting herself intentionally? Or perhaps Otherside entities are capable of taking on the image/form of anything else contained in the Otherside? Or it embodies Toriko's fears of what Satsuki might have become? I would bet on a combination of the first two possibilities. The fact that the windmill, some of the flowers, and the emblem on the spacetime men's uniforms all share a similar basic shape makes me think that there might be a meaning to shared appearances in the Otherside.

Users who are viewing this thread