Use the Tumblr Method to support the site [Rejected]

Dex-chan lover
I know Tumblr might not be the best example of good business decisions, but I feel that their latest monetization method has been a rather good one.
Namely: Selling Useless garbage advertised as useless garbage.
Like the Checkmarks, a 1-time purchase of 8 bucks for 2 checkmarks that only appear besides your username and don't really do anything(They are stackable though)
Or the crabs, which are a 24 hour active button that allows you to get a crab effect on blogs. You can turn your checkmarks into crabs too.

I do think that monetizing dumb features specifically made and advertised to be dumb is a rather fair business model

Upvote 0
Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
To expand on this a bit; if MD were to run out of money and it was a life-or-death situation, we'd think of ways to monetise temporarily (and it's really not that hard to do with our traffic levels, even a static banner on the homepage would pay the site costs back tenfold), but we're just opposed to both advertisements and also to making money off of content that isn't ours in the first place.

So it's less of a "how can we" and more of a "we don't want to". Appreciate your worrying for us, but be at ease :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread