Ushijima-kun the Loan Shark - Vol. 8 Ch. 70 - Freeter-kun 5

Power Uploader
I like how he walks her past a whole bunch of major, up-scale buildings to impress her and then brings her to his own office which is basically a back alley abortion clinic

Contributor
Oh, such speed. Thanks, translator-kun.

I don't know what I expected, but I think that actually actively, if not forcefully, scamming people for Ushijima is out of character. Until know he was presented to us as a passive literal shark, but here he's doing pretty weak and unintelligent fraud.

Dunno, maybe it's me, but he was a cunning bastard, but now he looks like an average asshole.

Dex-chan lover
@N0Mi0 yeah, what a twist to actually try and be part of someone's ruin....maybe the author thought there wasn't enough ushijima on previous arcs? Whatever the reason, if our shady loan shark is involved I'm suspecting the poor foolish yet kinda innocent old lady isn't going to come out unscathed

Dex-chan lover
@N0Mi0 i agree it is actually quite a cheap tactic too, he usually is more clever with his schemes, maybe he is desperate too?

Power Uploader
I would argue that Ushijima has been established as willing to actively fuck up peoples lives if it means they'll seek him out for further loans. He deliberately got the Office Lady addicted to drugs, so if he would conspire to do that he would conspire to have someone make shady investments

Power Uploader
@mockingbirdxv
Typo on page 5: "We're in the fiancial district ..." >> "We're in the financial district ..."
Typo on page 14: "... and spectulative stocks" >> "... and speculative stocks"

Contributor
@Cloneable
Ah, I didn't mean it in a way that he doesn't willingly fuck people's lives up. What I meant is that so far he was built as some kind of a spider, who casts around his nets and seldom goes out of his way to hunt his pray: he has his lackeys for this. To be more precise, I'd expect him to end his own physical interaction by just referring her to the broker, when he not only goes with them, but is portrayed as personally deceiving the woman.

Ah, and I'd argue about him putting that OL on drugs. To me it looked more like the girl gave her drugs on her own, and she's probably a user herself. Granted, Ushijima was interested in OL's fall, but the ruin of his clients would mean no more loans, which is not good. It's just, he didn't really care all that much.
As an aside, as everything about drugs in japanese media, where even yakuza, probably, are generally less exposed to them compared to an average uni student in the west, author probably have never even seen them in person.

She bought? Domp eet.
7QpXIAZ.png

Dex-chan lover
Reminds me of the days of IPO's. But I can't tell you how often stock forum boards are littered with posters who keep saying that such-and-such new technology will cause a business' stock to go up. Don't invest in what you don't understand. 〽〽〽

Dex-chan lover
Gambling is gambling, whether you call it Pachinko or stocks.

And I would argue that Ushikima is still putting out a lure. The lady already saw what happened kn the first round of stocks, she knows she's out of her depth and that Ushijima put her in a corner with a bad deal.

She could walk away right now but she didn't. It's the parallel with her son.

Users who are viewing this thread