Usogui - Vol. 29 Ch. 316 - This Name Again

Dex-chan lover
Hah. I knew that that memory was totally real! I guess that means Hachina will ruin Baku's Pooyan run... What a sin. Seriously though, I was thinking that Leader is not the same as the past Hachina, even if their memories are similar. Leader is just much more... Dangerous, and indifferent towards things and people, I suppose. He was about to kill Baku right in front of a witness too, haha. Nice confirmation that Baku did hijack the book ordering process to meet him, as expected. Seems like Baku got a bit emotionally attached to him? Maybe this has something to do with him throwing the surpassing the Leader game. Wonder what the plan is movin forward now.

This was an insane batch, Team Duwang. I'm truly grateful to you guys, and I love you. I'll see you next chapter!

Edit: I also like how the author reminded us of what we were told at the beginning of the series (with the line from Kaji's nightmare). About how Baku apparently sacrificed a comrade of his to win a gamble one time. I was always curious about the details to that, and I hope they tell us at one point.

DQM

So Baku and Hachina are totally bros, for them to play games together.
But now I'm wondering, does Hachina still remember Baku? If it is, how much?

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the foreshadowing clarification, so Baku wasnt even bullshitting while trolling that guy with his long-ass story.
I wonder though, the first meeting between them most likely wasnt a coincidence either, so this might go back from even before their first pick-a-book game. And like 29979 said, most likely the surpassing the leader game is related to that.

I mean, we dont know much about Baku, but does it strike you as someone whose main goal is to be Kakerou´s leader? I mean he obviously would accept, but I always felt it was more for the thrill of winning and standing at the top than ruling the organization himself. But now that we know he had a closer relationship with leader (well, past Leader) than most know, its rather interesting.

I really wanna see more of the two.

Dex-chan lover
@belkrax Their first pick-a-book gamble does strike me as possibly being their first time meeting, though. And I'm pretty sure the surpassing the Leader game happens after it, and since the memory he gave Yuukide seems like it wasn't bullshit, they were even together before the surpassing the Leader match, which means that at that point Hachina was already the Leader of Kakerou, so possibly he is the Leader at that point, and just forgot about it, since at the surpassing the Leader game he had Yakou with him, probably as the Leader's Attendant... Which means that Eba is already dead at this point, and since they were together playing games before the Surpassing the Leader game on the same day, the time between their meeting in this bookstore and the game might be very short. That begs the question though: if the Surpassing the Leader game happens soon after this flashback, and since Eba is already dead at the point of the StL game (judging from Yakou's presence at the game and him whispering in Leader's ear, which suggests he might be working as the Leader's Attendant, and we saw that Tatsuki gave them their assignment only after Eba's death), was there any point to the book order? Who intercepted it? Or did no one? If the bookstore owner was Eba's friend, then wouldn't he know that Eba is dead? I'm curious about the chronology of this, but it'll probably be cleared up soon.

I also don't think Baku really particularly cares about taking over Kakerou. Although he once told Yakou (I think) that his ultimate objective was "world peace" (and I guess Kakerou might be useful for that?), probably a lie, but who knows. I definitely think his meeting Leader and him throwing the StL game are related, and I'm curious what his objective is now that he knows that Leader's memories got lost again. Also, remember that Baku said he can only feel alive in a Kakerou gamble, and he seems to get more excited the closer to death he gets, judging from his nosebleed back that the Abandoned Building game. I love the contrast between Leader's refined look vs Baku's wild look, while personality wise they seem to correspond to it, and yet Leader kills without hesitation (at least present Leader), and Baku often shows mercy and glimpses of being more sentimental than he lets off.

Aggregator gang
Broooo, the foreshadows are insane...
When the phone mentioned the God of Death, I thought they were talking about that dude that likely hunted down Kyara, but I guess not...
Kaji x Chisato 😀

Fed-Kun's army
It finally halppened, i had been looking forward to this reveal for a while. Thanks so much Team Duwang!!!

The first time I read this manga I couldn't tell if Baku was telling the truth or just messing with Yukiide (turned out to be both). The second time was after I spoiled myself about Hal and I was like "oh my god, that is some good foreshadowing."

I just love the use of Baku's story as foreshadowing. First off, Baku likes to trick his opponents, so it was hard to tell if he was being truthful. Second, the story implies that "Haru" died (or at least thats how I interpreted it, since he was involved in one of Baku's gambles which usually has life-or-death stakes, and also with the line that he never returned). Third, without spoilers, it would be hard to conclude that the name of Baku's friend was Hal and not Haru (at least thats what I think).

Ever since Souichi's memory loss was revealed I had this theory that the incident Hal got into because of Baku was what caused Hal to have memory problems. But if Baku and Hal's first meeting was really at the bookstore then Hal had memory problems beforehand. Though I still theorize that the result of the gamble that Hal involved himself in led to his memories being wiped again (at least his memories of Baku). Hal losing his memories would be what Baku meant by "killing" him. Theres also the fact to take into that Yukiide completed Baku's story for him because it was taking to long, so Yukiide's conclusion may not be what actually happened (theres also the fact that Baku did not correct Yukiide at all, which could be taken as Baku confirming the validity of Yukiide's interpretation, or Baku just didn't want to talk about it anymore.
@299792458
I loved how that line was brought up in Kaji's dream too. It had been on my mind. I have believed that the person Baku "sacrificed" and Hal are the same person. If Yukiide's conclusion to the story is true, Hal participated in one of Baku's gambles in place of Baku. But everyone else could of interpreted that Baku forced Hal to take his place, therefore sacrificing him. Though my theory might be wrong because if Baku is asleep (in Yukiide's continuation of the story), how could Baku of eventually won the gamble?
Also responding to your most recent comment, Baku met Hal in 1998 and the surpassing the leader game was in 2001, so there was a three year gap. I think Hal was not the Kakerou leader and that Eba was still alive in 1998. I do wonder if theres anything in the book now that Eba is supposedly dead. I also think Eba was the one who bought the bookstore. I do wonder if Eba is still alive or if hes faking his death and in hiding somewhere? if thats possible (he seemed pretty old). Also like that you brought up Baku's previous friendship with Hal and him losing surpassing the leader being connected, I think so too. Where's the fun in beating your friend in an important gamble if the friend does not remember you at all?

Dex-chan lover
@Ghetsis Yeah, I was thinking that too! I assumed that Hal dying was just him losing his memories of Baku, and it seems to be true since in this chapter the young Hachina said "I am already...", so "dead" or at least gone in that sense. Oh, I totally forgot that the current date was already confirmed, that makes sense. Then at least that means that they kept being friends for three years, and it'd make sense for Eba to have died in that period, and for him to still be alive in this flashback, thus making the book order process make sense. I'm pretty certain that the rich guy who bought the bookstore was Baku, though, since he had the book order and was coincidentally right there when Hachina was supposed to pick the book up, and planted some money and a book in a folder conspicuously on the store counter, which also explains the owner's bad acting, since he was bought out by Baku (likely after getting him in debt in the first place...); seems pretty clear cut to me. So yeah, I think Hal's memory issues were definitely there before the StL game, and likely what was meant by him "dying" or being gone is him losing his memories of Baku. Also, I think what Baku meant with "even if it's before we go back, or after... We will meet again for sure" was maybe referring to "going back" to either the StL game, or to his time with Hal, meaning his goal might be to bring him back somehow, maybe. It's also possible that the person he sacrificed was Hal, but they showed an image of someone with a gunshot wound or smth in that flashback, so I'm not quite sure, although it's definitely possible.

Fed-Kun's army
@299792458
The rich person who bought the store being Baku does make more sense (and makes Hachina's comment on wanting to meet him more funny) I was initially confused on how Baku got the book order form, that explains it. I wonder, how long has Baku been preparing for this moment?

Dex-chan lover
@Ghetsis Probably very soon after the StL game, I'd assume. Since he probably learned about Hal's condition at some point in those three years, and then with Eba's death he could've set up the preparations. Or also possibly, it was Hal himself who asked him to set it up in case it happened in the future. We shall see. Yeah, I found it pretty funny, haha. Pretty sure Hachina made the connection immediately and that's why he said that.

@299792458
@Ghetsis
You guys really think that that's the first time Baku and Souichi knew of each other? The circumstances of their meeting are just too crazy IMO

Just gonna comment that this line is kinda sad especially since that the Souichi that Baku met in the flashback is "dead" already
"You should really stop, if you are only lingering in a sentimental mood."
They were close enough for Souichi to surmise that Baku may feel that way

Double-page supporter
I believe there's a possibility that the Pooyan game is an analogue and a figurative form of the past of interest. I mean considers the fact of the way it's represented:
-Baku never got into stage 3 before,
-He said he was about to make a big bet the next day,
-He somehow finally made it into stage 3,
-He left a bit only to find Hal hijacked his play when he returns,
-Hal lost,

With the Hal reveal and the thing about "Baku's sacrificial comrade" being brought up again, i can't help but think this is the case.

Fed-Kun's army
@299792458
You mentioned a flashback of a gunshot wound... I think I recall seeing that, but I don't remember what chapter it was. Do you know?

Double-page supporter
Great callback to Nowa's warning to Kaji after the poker gamble. I hadn't thought about his warning of Baku "sacrificing" a comrade during a gamble in a long time. That coupled with Kaji's dream and Baku's story about Hal seems to imply it was Hachina. It looks like we might be getting to the heart of Baku's true motivation for challenging the Leader.

@saxifraga

Chapter 33
https://mangadex.org/chapter/204590/11
https://mangadex.org/chapter/204590/12

I've always been under the assumption that it was some kind of russian roulette gamble due to the picture, but we've never been given any details of what actually happened.

Dex-chan lover
@saxifraga https://mangadex.org/chapter/204590/11

@idle_af I don't know, it doesn't really seem that far fetched to me at all. It doesn't feel as obviously fishy as their present meeting does, and the way Baku acted around Hachina makes me think that it really was their first meeting. He was surprised by his behavior, got slightly pissed off, tried to run away from him, and didn't expect him to be as smart. I suppose there's a small possibility that he's just acting and in fact they have met before, but I don't see why and I don't recall anything pointing to that. This seems like a suitable first meeting. Sure, it's a coincidence, but nothing too extreme. I don't see how the circumstances are that crazy. In fact, compared to the rest of the series, this seems fairly commonplace and plausible. Baku was browsing for books and found a copy of a rare book that was ordered by Hachina. The only thing that might seem a bit fishy is that we haven't really seen Baku's apparent tendency to collect rare things, but I don't think it's enough to warrant suspicion that this isn't their first meeting. Just my opinion.

Dex-chan lover
I also dont think the first meeting at the library was their first one. I mean it COULD be, but there is something fishy. This is a strange book specifically made by Eba so that Soichi could contact him, and Baku just happens to be there? Plus we never seen much of Baku collecting rare items.

Again, not impossible, just... odd.

Dex-chan lover
@299792458 @Ghetsis

Did he actually win the gamble that his "comrade" got sacrificed over? The comments in chapter 33 from Nowa said "to save himself", which means maybe Baku never showed up to the gamble at all. That does tie in more directly with his memory of November 23, 1998. Of note is that if this is when Hal dies, then there's a 2.5 year gap between the event and the StL game. I wonder if Baku became driven because of this death to aim for the StL challenge.

As far as taking over the bookstore and Baku's goals go, I think it has to do with the specific fact that Baku needed this degree of memory loss out of Hachina to make any progress with him. Hachina doesn't recall Eba's death, nor being the Leader of Kakerou. I think maybe Kakerou in general has agreed to implant certain memories, either fake or with a biased perspective, that meant Baku wouldn't be able to do anything about their relationship. That would be why he took over the bookstore and said that this day finally came. He'd need to know the specifics of Hachina's memory loss to enact this plan though, and I doubt he ever met Eba, or that Tatsuki would ever explain it to him. Hal could very well have put him in a position to do something like this, so that's the likely scenario.

@299792458
That's what's throwing me off too, how Baku behaved throughout their encounter. It genuinely feels like it's the first time they met. The fact that they're looking for the same book at that exact moment, and the fat stack of cash Baku has on him, just makes me think there's more to it. Also, and I am most likely misremembering things since I can't bring up any specific scenes and I'm just a dumb speedreader, it feels like the odd encounters you mentioned are usually explained afterwards, that it was a set-up of some sort and not just something "coincidental".

Users who are viewing this thread