Usogui - Vol. 40 Ch. 432 - The First Round

@RapidLord I guess this chapter confirmed your thoughts. Looking at that first page, what you saw in the previous chapter was most definitely what was on this chapter's first page.

Fed-Kun's army
@xkcdhawk
Hmm... Yes, but I'm still not sure what exactly it is. Baku was holding a bio and his oxygen tube thing, but looking back at previous chapter I still can't seem to find out how exactly does the broken piece fit with the things he's holding. And what is the point of Baku breaking that instead of copying Lalo & getting some more air

Fed-Kun's army
Wow, I already love the aesthetics of this game.
The author always knew how to draw hair in a fabulous way. But here, having it float into the water with bubbles everywhere just makes it work even better.
Even the way he uses waves to intensify some movements - like on page 4 with Lalo's hand - looks amazing.

"Any air bios which isn't full due to things like breathing, cannot be used anymore as an ante or a bet."

"After the 5th round, or in the case where the player cannot afford the ante anymore, the game continues until one player leaves the chair due to having no more air bios"

So, wouldn't one way to win this be to let a small amount of air out of each bios you have left after winning a round and having more bios left?

Dex-chan lover
That "six...16" translation reminds me of when I asked about the "1 million" ages ago lol.

Confused the hell out of me that calling and raising are two separate actions, here's where knowing Poker probably would've helped lol. Otherwise I thought it would be limited to one action per round effectively capping first bet to 1 bios each.
Makes some sense as this game doesn't seem like it was designed to last more than one round, kinda like that shield/swords game. Though that one went some distance, so I guess I'll see.

He doesn't look too happy having to give Lalo a shion point, which sounds really lame as a concept to begin with lol.

Dex-chan lover
I didn't even notice, on page 16 Lalo actually screams Call, Raise underwater

Double-page supporter
Lalo acted fairly similarly in the Collesseum gamble; he's an extremely aggressive gambler. And when he makes moves, there are usually layers to them. Back then, it appeared to backfire on him rushing into something with Usogui very quickly, but here its really caught Baku off guard.

Usogui definitely broke something. Maybe something on a bios respirator? Though those seem fairly durable and he's not the strongest guy.

Nowa Jr. seems like kind of an oddball, I guess since Nowa judges people he had to make his own system to carry it on.

Dex-chan lover
The upcoming matches will be influenced by the order of the cards? I'm going to assume that means the cards don't have a static value, but change depending on when they get played. I don't think it's as simple as a case of high card or low card wins.

@JoebRogers
If I understand, you're saying that by letting a bit of air out, one of them can no longer afford the ante, but still have the bios to breathe? And then by having more bios, that person's basically won? That's not an option. The rules specifically say air-bios used for breathing is no longer usable, nothing about bios that are emptied into the water. So the match would just continue on with some of the bios having less (or no) air, but still used for the bet.

Which leaves me wondering about the calamity described last chapter. Does it just remove air from a specific amount of bios, and then continue the match with those bios still in play? I wonder if such a situation can be forced, or if it can only happen depending on how the cards are played.

Dex-chan lover
@Veshv On technicality, it kinda sounds like it can be done (though it shouldn't be possible). The text box claims "bios that aren't full" for things "like" breathing. It's probably the "like" that both allows and prevents this loophole as you can simply interpret "emptying out the bios manually" as not counting towards that, but it can be tricky.

I haven't actually read what comes next, what follows is just my idea of what the rule for winning is:

Right now I'm betting on the winning condition to either be the closest (or the furthest) to a perfect square, and losing to (or playing) a perfect square causes the calamity. It's probably the latter since Baku started playing a 36 (6x6) and has a 25 (5x5), which would put him at a great disadvantage at the beggining.

Fed-Kun's army
@Niccu
I don't think it's that because it's seems a bit too simple and I don't see how this rule will cause Baku & Lalo to be even deeper in the "nightmare" like Nowa Jr mentioned. Plus, using your rules, you can have a draw, say if Baku show 26 while Lalo show 63. The rules didn't mention what will happen if a draw occurs so I don't think you can have a draw in this gamble.

Edit: Nevermind, I take that back.
Just realise if the 26 & 63 is shown at the same time, then they could just compare it to next nearest square. So for 26, the next nearest square is 16/36 while for 63 is 49, so 26 will win. This way, there'll be more complexity to this game of not knowing whether the cards with the highest chance of winning will actually fail you in the last minute. This could be the special way of losing, if your rules is true

Dex-chan lover
@Lithe
You're right, I was going off what Nowa said last chapter rather than the ruling conditions. In that case it's a tricky loophole that would be a risk to gamble on.

@Niccu
That's far too heavy of a (dis)advantage for Baku, because either way you take it from there, only one of the players can be affected by both of the calamities.

Maybe each player has a "total" of some sort, and the cards detract from that total, so later played cards end up with a lesser value. I don't know which card would be considered stronger in that case though.

Dex-chan lover
Wouldn't it be funny if the think that Baku broke was a dried pickled plum?

Man, oh man, a deathgame where both sides don't know how the match works while the referees do? This is quite an inversion from the Tower Arc as we guess with the referees, I'm excited for this arc.

I would like to theorise on the meaning of the numbers, especially considering it's air POKER.

From the rules, a bigger number does not seem to correspond to victory, otherwise it would be a simple game lol.

Therefore, my guess is that the number corresponds to a certain hand, where the number displayed represents the totals of that poker hand. So, in the example, a hand like 6 would represent a hand of 4 aces and a 2. In this case, the 6 would represent a four of a kind.

If we were to go by that logic, then perhaps, we can identify each hand in both player's hands. However, this still does not account for Nowa's warning of the calamity yet. Perhaps there's a trap that's hidden behind the numbers...

Dex-chan lover
@Takoshi
Damn, that's a really good observation! I think I definitely agree with you on it, especially because I've never seen a poker game that didn't involve actual playing cards.

If we go with your logic, there may be a few more things that can be explained.

Since order of play matters, maybe it's not a fixed hand, but rather the best hand is selected from an actual deck of cards when the card is played. For example playing 15 and then 8 as opposed to playing 8 and then 15.

The best hand for 15 is a straight flush of A-2-3-4-5. The best hand for 8 is a four of a kind: A-A-A-A-4. If you play 8 first, 15 cannot be a straight flush anymore. So when you play 15 and then 8, you get a straight flush (A-2-3-4-5) into a full house (2-2-2-A-A), and the other way you get a four of a kind (A-A-A-A-4) into another four of a kind (2-2-2-2-7).

Taking this a step further, both Lalo and Baku may share the "deck" of cards. So whatever the opponent plays might also change what your cards represent when you finally play them, due to lack of availability of the cards.

Thinking this through, it's a spectacular method for a Kakerou match!

Users who are viewing this thread