Usogui - Vol. 43 Ch. 466 - A Man Of Diamonds

Dex-chan lover
First time I saw it I thought Lalo hiding air-bios came absolutely out of nowhere, but after thinking about it, it was actually clearly hinted at that he had extra air. Mostly due to that 1 Bios bet. He so much as said a 2 Air-Bios advantage would be enough, so why would he allow a 2-Bios advantage? Because it wouldn't actually be that much.

Also, the damn peanut gallery laughing at Baku for being unable to swim is great. Baku probably preferred the actual match to having to swim his way out.

@idle_af
I think that's the point. He misjudged whether or not folding would win him the match.

Double-page supporter
Wow. It makes sense that he's so defensive of those diamonds now. He just wanted to turn his most precious talents into diamonds and keep them forever. I like the idea that despite his otherworldly intelligence and cunning, what undid him was that he was too emotional after losing Billy and Voja. He's a special kind of insane, at the end all he wants is to see the diamonds that would come from Baku.

Ideal was really worth all the time and energy put into them in the manga. I can't hate them, they've been wildly entertaining. When Lalo goes I'll feel the same sadness I did when Caracal finally bit it.

As an aside, its funny that he didn't consider Marvin a rare talent like Billy or Voja. He really wasn't anything special, so this just hammers it home. I guess everyone on the big Ideal spread a couple chapters ago were the ones Lalo truly considered special.

@chrischewie
@spence7865
I don't believe there were any specific rules guaranteeing the winners safety, and the idea that Hal or Baku's allies could go in and save him is just as valid the other way around; there would be nothing to stop Fukurou from going in and holding Baku down to kill him either. I imagine both of them are extremely exhausted from the Witch Pain, and are likely still attached to the machine, so I don't think Hal can help. I don't know if Kakerou would allow for someone to jump in and free Baku since there were no provisions for it; Shion's description of the gamble involves the winner freeing themselves from the shackles, swimming to the top, and breathing out of the space at the top under their own power, but I don't know if that's a rule, something they expected to happen, or something they just assumed would happen.

Unless there's something specifically stated in the agreed-upon rules, I don't think Kakerou will interfere. We saw this dramatically in Oofuna's game; Mogami noted that there would have been nothing wrong with cheating and just pressing the other person's board, and they would have had no problem with Oofuna just killing Lacy once the game ended. Protecting the safety of the winner doesn't matter once the game officially ends, they have no obligation to Baku to save him. None of the referees will help, and that includes Yakou. I suppose Kaji, Champ, etc could try to break the glass to free him, but they're just normal humans (and Kaji's arm is broken), they probably can't break this big industrial prison tower. Marco seems to be nowhere in sight either. I agree with @Woodchipper . Baku swimming into Lalo's range is his own mistake; he would have no one to blame but himself if Lalo holds him down and causes him to drown.

EDIT: Actually, they explicitly state the loser is supposed to drown, they probably would not allow anyone to break the tower and drain the water. Remember, in Hangman, they didn't let Yakou's brother kill Sadakuni because he was meant to die by hanging as a condition of the gamble. Air Poker is over, so Lalo can hold Baku down, but he still has to die there. So my interpretation is that Lalo has to die here by drowning, but they have no obligation to prevent Baku from drowning.

Considering, though, that this is Madarame Baku, who is very aware of Kakerou's strict adherence to the rules and knows that if Kakerou doesn't guarantee the winners safety they won't enforce it, I'd imagine he has some kind of reasoning for drifting towards Lalo. I don't think Lalo grabbing him was out of his predictions. In the Abandoned Building Game and Hangman, we saw him fuck with Q-taro and Sadakuni after winning, especially with Sadakuni and making his world go dark before being hung. I could see Baku trying to do something similar here to the leader of Ideal.

@bosscrab

I know there was no guaranteed safety for the winner. I was thinking back to the labyrinth game. Usogui knew there was no safety and had Marco sneak in. Right now outside the water is completely on usoguis side, so it would seem similar in that regard. Also in chapter 430, Shion describes death as the 3rd stage relaxation. So technically Lalo has died according to the rules.

@Veshv
Good catch with the 1 bios bet as a hint. I thought it was just due to difference in constitution.
My complaint is that the extra bios Baku could've had couldn't have been much due to the constraints in the setting. They still need to breathe, they can't just conjure air out of nowhere. And with Lalo having extra bios, he should've been aware because he tried it himself, saving up bios. Lalo could've just folded and toughed it out BUT if Lalo's initial conviction in being able to survive against Baku even if Lalo folds was actually due to his own extra bios and not due to his confidence in his constitution compared to Baku, then I can buy it. Like what you said, that he was willing to risk a 1 bios bet. It was actually because of his extra bios

Dex-chan lover
I saw this in the spoilers, and I'm still salty after Caracal was absolutely confirmed dead.

Ah well. At least I got some absolute confirmation.

And again he has a plan after seemingly losing. While I kid of feel like we have seen him enough now I also like his persistence...

Dex-chan lover
Lately I wonder how well Lalo would have done if he brought Billy and Voja as part of his team in the island. Seems like they were his closest allies. I figure his team would have been
>Caracal
>Voja
>Jonglyo
>Robert K
then. I figure he would choose Robert K over Fukurou or Floyd Lee because he considered him his ace, no way he is not bringing it.

Double-page supporter
@spence7865
I suppose Marco could be with them all here as well. But we haven't seen him at all, and without him or Kyara Usogui doesn't really have anyone there who can go get to him quickly and save him. I get that it's kind of a weak excuse but thats just how it goes. I do think Baku is intentionally messing with him though.

@belkrax
Considering Caracal's intelligence along with his insane Kyara/Marco level of strength I think he was certainly the most dangerous member of Ideal. It's too bad that Voja got axed so quickly considering how much Lalo seems to care about her, unlucky that she ran into Hal immediately. I agree Lalo probably would have done better with them, it seems like they were more loyal to Lalo and Ideal than Robert K and Floyd Lee were, even if he considered Robert his ace. The Kaji game would have definitely gone different; they certainly would have killed Kaji if given the chance.

Dex-chan lover
Human diamonds. Just like in that one comic.
This also explains Lalo's "You can never judge these diamonds' true worth" comments before.

The rules were that:
  • They will play 5 rounds of air poker.
  • Both players will be locked to their chairs and the key locked in a drawer in front of them.
  • The drawer will open if the opponent leaves their chair for 10s.
  • The other player can only leave the tank if one of them dies.
In other words, what Lalo is doing is within the rules. Tough luck, Baku. But I don't doubt he hasn't accounted for this possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread