Usogui - Vol. 43 Ch. 472 - After Paying The Price

Double-page supporter
I'm struggling a bit to remember some of these characters but this is a pretty good cap on the arc.

Contributor
Oh man. Now this is a hyped-up ending to Volume 43. We got so much to cover and so much to expect come next arc!

Dex-chan lover
@Solano
Hal's entire memory thing seems awkward right now for sure, I think we need reasons to believe Baku had a real basis to gamble his life on that, that goes beyond "It won't be fun if Hal can't remember me for StL". But I agree with @299792458 on the fact that Hal and Fukurou could hear the noises. Lalo very clearly heard Baku making the noises, he just misunderstood the intent, and didn't end up going back to reconsider at a later point in the match. And everyone on the lower level saw that Baku had just lost the round as well as his expressions; even if they hear the thuds, they could chalk it up to anger from Baku over the Calamity. Hal and Fukurou did not have that bias when hearing the noises.

Dex-chan lover
For those who think Fukurou isn't physically fit to become a referee, remember that back on the flashback when he was recruited to be Lalo's ally, he was shown capable of "instant transmission" while also changing his wardrobe on the go no less. 😂
F7.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Kaji about to be reunited with his harem.
As the only commenter with his image as profile pic, I'll count that as a win for me 🤡

Double-page supporter
Was this the end of the batch? I need to know if I should prepare to go through withdrawals.

Thanks for all your hard work as always, Team Duwang

Dex-chan lover
@BossCrab
Yeah they said 2 more chapters for the batch when 470 released.

Good place to take a break, since we're getting into the last arc. As ever, thanks Team Duwang!

Aggregator gang
since Robert K is back, I had a question regarding Sutegama(his brother). Was Suteguma's ability explained? Him not seeing the faces of certain people (happened in the flashback during Tower arc). Was it an ability like Chromesthesia or just some psychological thing?

Double-page supporter
@gr8g
I believe its a psychological thing. Ch. 236 is the flashback and goes over it, Suteguma sees the faces of people he knows he can dominate completely. The way I interpreted it, Suteguma was never able to see faces of adults as a child as a means to cope with his situation; the people didn't matter, just whether they were adults or children. He never considered anyone equal to him, so he couldn't connect emotionally with anyone. Once he realizes that has been living a pitiful existence and gets his strength back, he sees the face of his abuser clearly for the first time, and kills him. When he leaves the sewers he realizes he can see some faces but not others. (As an aside he was never able to fully parse Robert K's face when he was sneering at him either)

Somehow Suteguma could see the faces of people he can "win" against, so he can pick his battles effectively and never taking a losing gamble or engagement. Which is why when Usogui faked as if he fell into Suteguma's trap, Suteguma revealed that he was suddenly able to see Baku's face. Of course, Baku was faking, so when Suteguma enters the incorrect number, he realizes he saw something he should never have been able to see (Baku's face).

We aren't given a concrete reason for it, but that page explains what the ability is and puts forward the idea that its a product of Suteguma's abused childhood.

Aggregator gang
@BossCrab
Thanks for the explanation, yeah pretty much makes sense. Hope the author expands on it.

Dex-chan lover
@BossCrab
Good explanation, it also stands to reason that he thought he could dominate Baku after the 13 input because he couldn't believe that Baku wouldn't fall into his real trap. Which is a very nice parallel (is that the right word?) to Air Poker. Baku had previously seen Suteguma's gambles (at least, he thought he did with that fake match), and would have lost the match if he didn't see through the trap. Baku did the same thing to Lalo, abusing the fact that Lalo had seen Baku's tricks and making him believe that Baku would do something insane, but he couldn't see through that trap and lost.

I think tack said it long ago, but I agree that Suteguma was a more dangerous gambling opponent than Lalo ended up being.

Double-page supporter
@gr8g
No problem! It's a bit of a weird ability, but makes sense in context.

@Veshv
That makes sense too, I had forgotten about Suteguma's double-layered trap with his "habit" he showed against Fukurou and his inclination to believe in the worst-case scenario every time. I agree with Suteguma being a more dangerous opponent. I mentioned it during Air Poker, but Baku's speech and demeanor towards Suteguma at the end of the game says a lot about how he regards him as an opponent. If you re-read Chapter 261, he says that Suteguma's strategy was perfect. He also gets spared the playful mocking and "Liar" speech that people like Sadakuni and Amako got. I think Baku really regarded Suteguma as an equal, whereas he definitely regarded Lalo as inferior and harbored enough hatred for him that he wanted to make him suffer at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread