Usogui - Vol. 44 Ch. 474 - Leader's Attendant

Dex-chan lover
@Veshv you don't really think they'll solve it "peacefully", right? We all know that's NOT going to happen
And leader has to know, or else he's a moron. It just feels so out of place to me, this thing.

Double-page supporter
@299792458
Batch'll end at ~480!

@saxifraga

I actually felt the opposite! He seemed overly relaxed by casually lying down in front of Baku. Also, why did he make it so that they're alone for 30 minutes without a referee? Souichi could've just waited elsewhere to come with the referee. One reason could be that he wanted some time alone with Baku.

His behavior is also pretty different from how he gambled vs Kidou or Voja; he seems overly talkative right now. Can't really tell if he just wants to make up for lost time with Baku, or if he's nervous as you said. Even if it's to probe Baku, it's weird for him to reveal his thoughts out loud. It could also be that, because young Hal looked up to Baku in the past, maybe he's trying to directly prove to Baku that he can keep up with him now in terms of thinking?

@Veshv

That got me thinking, in the first StL, wasn't Kyara Baku's referee? Maybe leader didn't kill him back then because he was afraid of what Kyara would do, just like in the terrorist arc. Similar to what he could be aiming for here. Though oddly enough, I don't think Kyara was ever shown in the first StL, just Yakou. Very weird now that I think about it.

I also like @peanutskin's idea of trying to avoid Yakou. Since normally, it would be Yakou or Nowa, since they're leader's attendants. Since he proposed a way for other referees to be candidates, it could be that he wants to avoid Yakou/Nowa as referees.

To me, it seems like making them compete with each other is to get the most "determined" referee. Perhaps because this match is both special and serious to Souichi, maybe he wants the referee that can match the level of resolve that both players have?

Aggregator gang
I really don't want Kadokura to lose...but I can't see a way he could win, either...

Dex-chan lover
@catx3
Good point, that question has been floating around in my head for a while too. We only see Kyara and Yakou "interacting" for the match against ... whatever that guy's name was (the peroxide "match") and after Baku lost StL, when Kyara told Yakou that he was leaving Kakerou. The fact that he wasn't present for StL is an interesting point. Back then having Referee No. 0 wasn't necessary for challenging StL, so maybe it was by Kyara's choice?

@Nehona
I figure peacefully just means don't literally kill each other, so they'll agree on some method other than an outright battle to the death. I agree that in-world, this is a very illogical thing to do. Leader probably has some secondary reason for pulling this stunt, which we don't know yet.

Double-page supporter
Leader said they can decide it using the vest system or by stealing the handkerchiefs so I'm assuming he's not having them battle to the death. Otherwise it would be basically be a gauntlet of Yakou having ranking battles with every referee.

He probably set the condition of "you can't watch StL" to make sure they take the battle royale seriously (same reason why Shion set up the Witch Pain for Fukurou and Hal), otherwise they would probably just leave it to Yakou, who earned his position by defeating Tatsuki to get the 0 rank. Remember, the other referees were all in silent agreement that Yakou earned the right to ref the match and there was no need to fight until Souichi said only the attendant would be able to watch.

I like @catx3 idea of having it be a way to ensure the referee is just as resolute as Baku and Souichi are.

I'm with Baku on this one, Leader seems overly cautious, even though he tries to look at ease he is analysing Baku's every word and actions.

As for Baku ... I think he already started the mind games. Baku know the Kakerou rules, a match cant happen without a referee. Thus his actions right now do not matter as far as the actual gambling goes. However ... Just from those few moments alone, he determined how attentive of everything the leader really is.

Just a thought: I noticed that Baku asked Souichi to press "start" on the timer rather than pressing it himself. We also got a closeup panel of the timer as it was pressed.

Then we saw Souichi throw the stopwatch back to Baku, and it read as 9 seconds in his hands before Baku crushed it underneath his feet.

Given the prominence of these points, could this play a role in the upcoming gamble?

Maybe I've fallen under Usogui's spell and I'm reading everything he does as if it had a hidden meaning, but I just wanted to call this out.

Double-page supporter
It's hard for me to comprehend anything Souichi does...yes, he's hyper over-analyzing Baku's actions, but judging from everything we learned about him in the Bookstore and during Air Poker his mind races at breakneck speed analyzing constantly. It's weird to see him verbalizing it though. I felt like I could read Hal a bit, but I've never been able to get a read on Souichi's whimsical nature.

Fed-Kun's army
wahaha sorry Yakou, everyone was going to give him the right but if that means giving up the chance to watch the match... that's another story

Users who are viewing this thread