Usogui - Vol. 44 Ch. 479 - A Secret In His Life

Double-page supporter
"Your father is unbeatable" *father loses*
"It's grandpa they should be worried about!" *grandpa gives up*
o...kay, odd use of 2 chapters

Dex-chan lover
YING TIME BABEH

I'm surprised she gives half a fuck honestly, I thought she would give hers to Manabe.

Baku lookin real handsome on the first page.

Anyway, I really love that Nowa decided to abandon his greatest magic secret just to save his son in law. Given how cold blooded his line of work is, a semblance of humanity isn't something we'd expect from him. Even Yakou or Kyara show affection only because of their own interest, not because of their 'humanity'.

Aggregator gang
Yessssss Marco is back! He already is used to being shot up with drugs to become a berserker so he may have an advantage against the referees here. As a wild card, if he takes enough handkerchiefs the people he takes them from are out and as long as they're still in, whoever Baku wants to preside (probably Yakou) will win.

That is to say, this game itself is a gamble: if a referee just hid until everyone else was down or fought the last person standing they would keep their handkerchief and win. But if they fight early they have to fight more people increasing their risk/reward. I think the author included the whole drug thing to explain why none of the referees are really taking the sensible, cautious approach.

It also reminds me of the Hunter exam from HxH... right after a Greed Island arc too...

Group Leader
Not gonna lie, I misread "vibrating" on page 18 as "urinating"

Fed-Kun's army
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/usogui/images/1/19/Promotional_for_Volume_43.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200405032634
The cover page in color (for those who are interested, there's text on it because its from the magazine btw).
I really liked this chapter and the last because there was so much new info about the Nowa family. Seeing grandpa's soft spot for Shion warmed my heart, haha.
@Petrichormus
"Even Yakou or Kyara show affection only because of their own interest, not because of their 'humanity'."
Going to argue with this, at least for Kyara. As the whole last arc about him ended with him accepting his "humanity" (which he previously suppressed because he saw it as a weakness). In his last moments he did not care about personal gain and just wanted to fight for Baku (who he cares about, despite pretending not to). https://mangadex.org/chapter/778704/14
I'm not as knowledgeable about Yakou but, at this point I feel like Baku's wishes have become his wishes and he is possibly feeling a similar thing to Kyara.

@Ghetsis i guess you are right. Been a long time since I read that chapter. Their 'humanity' definitely came from a different place than Nowa though. Baku is an admirable and charismatic man and it made sense for his comrade, kyara and yakou to help him. Nowa didn't exactly admire shion and helped shion simply because he's his son in law (even more admirable since shion is only a son in law. Kyara and Yakou action is similar to Sadakuni's referee in which he helped Sadakuni to achieve a goal despite the risk, although in a more proper manner. I wouldn't call Kaji's help afterall this time as his 'humanity' doing it, but at least part of it is very selfless and part of being a decent human being is by being selfless.

In short, 'comaradie' is an easier side of humanity a referee could show since a greater goal is in mind despite the risk, while 'familial' doesn't have something grand in return despite the risk.

Thanks for the reminder though, I honestly forgot so much about the manga.

Double-page supporter
@marcyvq
It was to characterize Nowa and his family. I think this was the culmination of Nowa's character arc. Remember, when we first got introduced to him he seemed to be a pretty straightforward, almost cruel guy who ordered around ref prospects to collect debts and judged the value of lives. Over time we got to know him a bit better, and his eulogy for Kyara (0 yen priceless value) gave him a bit of emotion.

Although Shion didn't show much of his power, it showed us that he was a kind soul almost like Marco (though Marco will fight now). Nowa standing up and revealing his most guarded secret to Midara for no reason other than to save Shion is a huge deal. He gave up the right to preside StL and his secret just to save Shion, who had already lost. Midara respecting Nowa's decision validates his choice and I believe is the culmination of his character arc.

I like midara because his design reminds me of morpheus from the Sandman lol

Dex-chan lover
I think Nowa Sr. definitely values his family very much and wants to see them grow in their own ways, which is why he dissed his grandfailson to spur him into fighting Midara and why he saved Shion even if it means giving up his biggest secret (which we already know about a long time ago but that doesnt matter)

Users who are viewing this thread