Usogui - Vol. 47 Ch. 514 - An Extraordinary Person

Echolociation to see when it's dropped?
God damn. I guess Usogui is going to drop something else to see?

So if Baku is (sub)consciously(?) aware of Souichi's echolocation (the Greenland shark thing was first noted in Baku's death dream after all), what bombastic plan is he thinking of to nullify or misdirect Souichi's ability? 🤔

@Demotivator Greenland sharks don't use echolocation though, I think the author would've chosen bats if that was meant to be a hint. I think the greenland shark has a bigger metaphorical role here (ancient, long life span, only swim in the depth, loner, toxic meat, blinded by parasites, etc.)

Does anyone know whether only Yakou's handkerchief counts for this game? I wonder if Baku has another handkerchief so he could drop the false one to trap Leader, just like Yakou did against Ref Kadokura. I also wonder if singing and dancing like a madman can interfere with echolocation lol

Dex-chan lover
Yea, there's a point beyond which this whole deal just sucks.
Sure, give the leader echolocation. Because, we're bats right? Might as well give people magic powers, because once upon a time this manga was supposed to be about gambling. Not about: hey look I'm literally a batman.

This one detail makes the entire gamble go down the drain.
And it already sucked, I was expecting more from the LAST gamble. Somethign more.. engaging for the reader. More complex too.

Double-page supporter
Interesting...I didn't consider that part of his ability to forget/remember things at will and manipulate all parts of himself could include "forgetting" the ability to see and making use of the heightened other senses that would come with it.

@Veshv very nice call on the "forgetting how to see" part. I figured it was something he had innately gotten from his mother.

Dex-chan lover
@nehona

I can understand your point and I agree some parts of it. But if you're complaining about "superhuman" abilities now, guess it's far too late to be discussed. From the first very arc, we got superhuman called marco

First, echolocation is not that "beyond understanding" as you might compare to magic powers. Human echolocation is real, n it've been around long time ago. You can check <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation>

Second, the leader premise itself was that he's an ubermansch... literally superhuman. Heck, Baku won against Lalo because of that very fact. So, if Hal somehow able to manage his earring hearing sensitivity (depicted as greenland sharks), then it's not as surprising as you might think. Even he was depicted to be able to notice Baku heartbeat and read many people mind at once at few chapters ago.

Anyway... he was superhuman. N Baku needs to be superhuman too to beat him. We will see it soon

Dex-chan lover
@BossCrab
I'm surprised that it was right, cause the mechanics of it don't work in the real world. Then again, the idea of "forgetting whatever you want" isn't real either.

@tripledraw
Not a handkerchief, but he could make use of his tie again, or a sock.

@Nehona sure, it's not an easy skill to acquire, but still within the realm of possibility (Ben Underwood's story). Baku and Leader have ultra sensitive fingertips that can count pages; Kyara kicks asses on earth AND from hell; Marco has a horse dong - everything is a bit exaggerated like most mangas should.

Personally I much prefer games such as this or air poker rather than the labyrinth or dotty, but most important for me is all the history that will be revealed and of course the inevitable fates of our players. Finding out how they win or lose is just a bonus for me.

@BossCrab whoaaa, forgetting to see? Didn't even consider he could turn himself blind but yeah, his eyes were rolled back on some (all?) of his tsk tsk panels.

@Veshv true, though I wonder if Leader could hear the difference between a handkerchief and a tie. He could also bluff by dropping his jacket and make Leader gamble if it's under it or in his pocket.

@tripledraw I'm aware of that, though I'm more getting at the the visual metaphor of the parasites in Souchi's eyes (figuratively saying he's blinding himself in order to heighten/focus/sharpen his echolocation). It's tentative, but there's a link there. Seems a little coincidental for the two things to overlap, especially given the two's history together.

@nehona for someone who's read all of Usogui up to now (I'm assuming), it's very surprising to see how anyone could call out echolocation of all things as superhuman bullshit...
Marco literally had a split personality with superhuman abilities, Billy Craig was a perfect short sleeper with a superhuman sleeping persona, Billy surviving that fall without going splat (or merely suffering some sort of serious immediate injury), Jonglyo's literal existence etc etc

As for thinking the final gamble sucks... well, everyone's mileage varies... and I massively disagree with the statement, but each to their own eh!

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you for the translation, as always!

Pretty depressing that even with Eko's sacrifice, Tatsuki was still killed by Hal (when he reverted the ranking battle rules)....
It makes me wonder though if Eko foresaw him dying earlier than that though. Like in the case that Hal succeeded in the Fukurou gamble and gave up his other identities to continue to follow Baku. Hal was afraid then that Baku would kill his dad, so I wonder if Eko prevented a future where that did happen (Baku killing Tatsuki with Hal by his side)?

Other people have already pointed this out, but yea, there are a bunch of examples of blind people who know how to echo-locate. Hal was already shown as someone who could pick up/memorize/learn things really fast (like with the picture book flashback), so it makes sense to me for him picking up echo-location from the video of his mother. Especially since it's like the only thing linking them together, like as if it's her one gift to her son.

Edit: Something I wanted to point out but forgot to, in the Tatsuki image he isn't wearing his earring (he has it when Hal is a little kid though (412)). So I like to imagine he got it after Eko's passing, and wearing it is his way of remembering/mourning her, if that makes sense.

Double-page supporter
Had a thought on how Baku could potentially beat this

hpeBN6s.png

I think this panel holds the key to beating it if you notice how the sound waves move. I think Souichi is detecting that the handkerchief is on the ground, not that Baku is in the process of dropping it. He always clicks to check that its there before turning around; Baku is just dropping it so quickly that he is always clicking when it's there - meaning we haven't seen him click when it's not there, and not turn around yet.

Do we know that Baku specifically has to stand behind Souichi and drop the handkerchief like they have been doing? Considering that he was able to move in front of Souichi during his turn makes me think they have some freedom, and that Yakou just needs to see the handkerchief hit the floor. Could he obscure that somehow with his body, or an object? Like turn around and drop it facing away from the chair?

As an aside, thanks for the great translation work as always. Do we know when this batch will end?

Just want to say thanks all for the comments, it helps build anticipation so much for the next chapter and gives me a greater appreciation for all the hijinks going on.

Double-page supporter
Are we going to have Baku drop the handkerchief in front of his face, just like the abandoned mine arc with sadakuni

Dex-chan lover
Lmfao at people waiting until echolocation to call bullshit on the realism of Usogui. Good one. Everyone seems to be on the same page now regarding the state of the gamble, there are a few ways for Baku to play around this and it does seem like he is aware of it, given his dream. I wonder how much his current state of mind is due to the burden of being revived and how much is acting, seeing how it's Baku, I'd expect it to be a mix of both. As always, if we can figure out what's going on then Baku definitely figured it out as well. Glad we got confirmation for the echolocation before the batch ended, not that it was really necessary after the first chapter with Eko, but doubters are hard to convince, haha. Looking forward to how this will turn out. I am sad that this is coming to an end.

Users who are viewing this thread