Usogui - Vol. 48 Ch. 524 - Endings

Holy shit. Look at page 6. The line "No one can experience the same time as others." takes on a double-meaning given this twist:

Meaning #1: No one lives completely the same life as someone else.

(Foreshadowing) Meaning #2: No one experiences the passing of time the same as another. Usogui clearly manipulated leader's perception of time to be different from his own.

Brilliant.

Also ... the Kariume came out.

EDIT: Something really cool about the artwork: the last page of Ch 523 has Usogui holding the handkerchief. If you look at the last page of Ch 521, Hal is holding it looking the opposite direction. If you put the two images next to each other, it looks really cool.

Over on Discord I formed this theory, based on re-reading chapter 493 and thinking for it awhile.

Theory: Kaiji set the alarm on that clock to ring 1 second earlier than 9am. So the first sound that leader heard was that sound, when the actual second superior sound hasn't rung yet.

Now that it has come to this chapter I guess I can explain a little bit about what happened but I will still tag it as a spoiler. Read it if you don't want to wait for next chapter:

Remember the time during Air Poker where Baku tells a story about a man who plants things in various place like a card in the river in hope that one day he can use it in a gamble? That's what he's basically done when he selected the "Time" card during the "Ban" game.

He knows that there will be a leap second on Jan 1 2006 at 9:00am (way way back then) where the clock will go 8:59:60 and then 9:00:00 (Notice that the clock went 'DONG' twice, the leader turned at the first one). There's a lot of foreshadowing happened (like in his dream sequence where he walked on the 60 tile instead of 0), but I guess it's really hard for people to theorize this winning condition (though I've seen quite a few in the comments coming close).

How he manage the time though to make him 'D' during the leap second is what he's been doing the entire match, adjusting when to 'die' and when to delay the match in response to how HAL plays (note the time when he just sat at the chair so he can manipulate the referee to tell the time)

TL;DR if you want to know if someone in the comments got their theory right:
No one got it right, but some came close.

i knew it. It all comes down to a margin of error for just one fucking second. I really don't know how the fuck baku did it but this time trick has been dangling in front of our nose since the very beginning, so I knew Toshio would deliver. Faulty clock or Souichi too perfect biological clock or whatever it is, Baku still really did just bluffed his way to victory by saying Souichi won the previous round.

Aggregator gang
Wow, the author is really having fun with this chapter. It comes down to the difference between a mechanical clock and a digital one. The subjective perception of time vs human attempts to quantify everything.

Users who are viewing this thread