Villain Initialization - Vol. 1 Ch. 9

My brother here is trying to recruit a very vicious killer he knows from the future. Accidentally turns him into a good person lmao

okiess,,, so if anyone is wondering i checked the original translations because on one of the translated pages our mc says that he would 'marry' the villainess if things gets really bad. This is a bit of a translation error because what he said was '嫁祸' jiàhuò. Though the first character '嫁' means to marry, one, this is usually used in context of a women to marry to a man (i know, i know.) and two, the two different characters make up the definition to shift the blame onto someone else.

Basically the mc is trying to find an excuse to escape blame if he does kill the hero.

i'm really happy to have found a decent action-comedy manhwa, this one distinguishes it's comedy and serious story plot points distinctively and it makes the read so much more enjoyable.

Dex-chan lover
@MPFT0 For the language to work like that, there has to be some historical connection between marrying and shifting the blame in Chinese. Maybe if you commit a crime while you are still single, but then marry into a family, your crime becomes the responsibility of your whole new family?

@Kaarme That's a very interesting way to look at it! Especially because there is also a tradition where the crime of one becomes the whole family's 'burden'. I'm not well-versed in the history behind the meaning of the word so don't quote me on this! However, I was just taught that 嫁祸 meant to frame.

'嫁' unfortunately means to give, or to offer - because to have a woman '嫁' into another family was seen in ancient China (and even now by some older generations) by both sides as a form of gifting the woman into the man's family. To offer would be a better definition of the character '嫁' but the meaning to marry (women) is the most commonly used meaning for the character - an unfortunate tradition in China was that women were often treated as gifts and less than men; Whereas '祸' meant accident or disaster.

sos didn't mean to blabber I do hope some will find this comment helpful,,

Thanks for the translation!
@MPFT0 @Kaarme Today I learned a new thing again. I love to read comments because:
1. lot of people mostly think the same about the manhua as me,
2. there are always someone who, like you, give me interesting information, which I wouldn't see elsewhere 😄

Fed-Kun's army
guess the future has changed yet again and not for the better, fuck we got another supe

Fed-Kun's army
@MPFT0 what I gather from this is that 嫁祸 is the Chinese equivalent of a scapegoat, as in "a gift that bears your disaster" or "a gift to quench disaster". I can imagine women being sold onto other families to pay the price for someone else's crime, hence "putting the blame onto someone else" comes naturally. Quite interesting, I love how much Chinese ideograms are able to carry History forward, even though sometimes it's an ugly history.

this is good this mother fucker is going to be batman by the end of this shit instead of killing superman

Dex-chan lover
When you want to create a villain but ended up creating a hero, ugh so relatable

Users who are viewing this thread