Villains Are Destined to Die - Vol. 1 Ch. 21

Fed-Kun's army
@Glomoro I can't really think of anything OG Villainess could've done that would justify how the family treated her tbh

Fed-Kun's army
@Glomoro Doesn't matter that the MC is new to the world. When I said "She", I meant it as Penelope's entire existence whether the MC was present or not. Also, I think MC does have memories of Penelope's childhood- at least to some extent. Not 100% sure and I'm not looking to reread atm.

I do remember that when original Penelope first arrived at the house, she wasn't the person she is known in the game for. One of the key memories told to us was when Reynold framed her with the stolen jewelry which then resulted in the loss of favor from all the people of the household. It caused Penelope to stop calling the dad "Father". The servants of the house disrespected her. And even though in-game Penelope was often just defending herself, though not clearly portrayed in the game itself as self-defense, it resulted in her brothers killing her. This one "little bit", I personally find it a very important catalyst to Penelope's personality change. I think the MC said that Penelope started being bossy and greedy because she wasn't being treated like a family and so felt no connection/loyalty/etc towards them. The lack of respect from her brothers and trust from the father made her the way that she is. She was a child who thought she was being saved but instead felt tortured. The one "little bit" that was shown when Penelope was still just a child was enough to turn the tides against her. Imagine being treated with malice at such a young age.

And when I say it doesn't matter that the MC is new, I mean, it doesn't make their 'crimes' against original Penelope any less important. The MC doesn't have to hate them with a passion but she does deserve to be apologized to since there's no longer the original Penelope to be sorry to.

I think, to say that just because she isn't always the focus, therefore the MC doesn't see the whole picture grossly underplays the torture/mistreatment Penelope did undergo. It's true that Penelope isn't an angel (who in the world expects her to when a maid sticks needles in her arm daily) but that doesn't mean the brothers don't need to apologize to her. No matter what, they who had the power to save her remained silent.

This became a bit of an essay lol but I still stand by what I said. I do believe that Penelope changed to be 'villainous' because that's what she felt she needed to become to defend herself.

thanks for the update!

some time ago after the last chapter i read all the translated LN chapters because I was just TOO hooked with this story. But sadly the group where it got the most translations (until chapter 105, i think) their website is down and unreachable until today. I'm sad now 8'( anyone knows what happened to hellomiss285's website? or where does anyone read the chapters past 105?

@papperless well unlike other stories this takes place on a game she didn't make much progress with and i actually wanted her to try and see for herself that reset button so yea... also it just gave more weight to the word "death" in other stories it's just forgettable / a joke (excluding the villainess reverses the hourglass)

those half-assed choice went "YOU THOUGHT THOT" on her lmao

Dex-chan lover
Too normal, zzz get on with it lol, where is the hate and despair hate comes none stop? Lol

Dex-chan lover
@roxanneayy
There's a much deeper reason connecting to all of that i've heard before, but it's a mega ultra chicken spoiler.
Seriously, it's a huge one.
Penelope is outright cursed to be reviled/hated. It's not a matter of self defense. It's a matter of understanding the treatment she receives is entirely normal to her (even if from her mother before she was adopted) and she has given up on trying to change it. I don't remember the reason behind the dresses/jewels, but it's probably just a stash for if/when she gets exiled.
I am a bit curious about how the maid is acting. For some weird reason she's acting like the curse got broken on her specifically now that I really think about her rapid stockholm syndrome progression.

@metalbee
aw that's unfortunate. I was hoping she would end up with someone whom she can't see the favorability of. Would make the romance way more interesting. Plus the crown prince seems like a total jerk. Looking down on the value of a human's life is a huge red flag to me. Well I would always be rooting for Penelope anyway.

Fed-Kun's army
@RamenRider That's an interesting spoiler!

I would still say OG Penelope does use the treatment done to her as an example of how to treat others and in a way, it is self-defense. But if it is because of what you say, I feel even worse for her. The writing was out to really destroy her which sucks considering how for the game you can play her. I wonder if anyone can actually complete her side of the story.

Idk much about the maid but she may just be looking out for herself (at least for now). Wouldn't say it's stockholm just yet.

djsljdlsj I remember how stressed I was reading the novel & now feeling stressed again seeing this chapter fljslfjsl

TIME TO YEET YOURSELF OUT THE GAME, PENELOPE

Hate aside I think when you look at this chapter it just looks so cute and for a second i thought they were really a doting brothers

Users who are viewing this thread