Villains Are Destined to Die - Vol. 1 Ch. 44 - [Season 1 End]

Dex-chan lover
I don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been said, but I agree that this was an excellent chapter. The parts where Penelope stands up to her brothers are my favorite parts.

I hope after this lecture Reynold will understand why even the staff treats her badly. They're just following the example her "family" is setting up.

I wonder if what she said ever happened... sounds suspicious...

Thank you!

Dex-chan lover
When Emily cried up I felt that shit in a level I wasn't expecting. That's a redemption arc well done.

What a way to end a season. Really looking forward to the next one. Thank you for the amazingly fast updates!

The translation of the light novel (not the manga! The team did a wonderful job) seems to be a bit off (improper pronouns, grammar, etc.) so this will be my attempt at translating the end of the confrontation scene with Reynold:

"‘The game never even mentioned the details of Penelope's past.”
Drinking rainwater next to a corpse or scrounging for leftovers in the trash. All those nasty, nasty stories were just assumptions I made, thinking,
'It must have been something like this.'

After all, her childhood wasn't like mine."

Also the line: 'The 12-year-old Penelope, painted before my eyes, gradually turned into a 14-year-old myself.' makes me think she's just reliving her childhood.

C H I L L S

oml this is such a good chapter, the emotions, the pacing, the art!! I can't wait for the next season

Dex-chan lover
Omg our girl just said it ! and thanks so much for the translations i cannot w8 for next season my favourite manga/manwha by far!

Yes queen! Stand up for yourself 💕 I'm glad she did and it's something she should have done many years ago, back in her rl as well. I'm so so proud of her 🥰

That aside, ppl here actually think a noble born would bother trying to understand the life of a commoner, especially a beggar?? I'm not saying he's justified, but that's how the world works. They aren't brought up to think about the lives & struggles of a commoner. There's no way he'd give af unless she told him like she did now or had a nice personality so that they bonded and he asked her. Penelope wasn't exactly the sweetest child which is completely normal given her life, she was also a replacement for his sister + she wished every year that she remains dead/unfound. Penelope was only a child and every action of hers is forgiveable. But guess what? Reynold was also only a child xD What sucks though is that even after growing up he didn't try to understand her & held a grudge (which is also understandable imo) That's a freeloader taking his sister's place afterall. She would also throw tantrums (very normal for a neglected child) and create a lot of trouble. Reynold didn't really have a reason to bother understanding her or liking her considering how nobles are brought up. In my honest opinion, it's the father's fault for not having made her seem like a part of the family. If you guys remember, when the mc played the normal mode, she honestly thought that Penelope was kinda a brat and silly. It doesn't justify anything that happened to her because kids should be allowed to be that way but thanks to her shitty dad, she was just ostracised. The dad should have corrected Reynold but he didn't and he just grew to hate her. The truth is, he would care if he understood, but sadly he's ABSOLUTELY stupid and dumb and needs to have everything spelt out for him. He jumps to conclusions immediately and doesn't stfu unless someone throws facts on his face. I'm not saying what he did to Penelope was justified, it's just understandable. Ppl absolutely despise him simply because Penelope is the mc and he's kinda like a villain to her. Objectively, he's not really a bad person. Just a ducking idiot jerk

I'm kind of sad to see we won't be able to relish in her getting back at her brothers and them being regretful and ashamed of themselves as much as in this first season. But, I'm quite curious to see how it will develop with the other characters, especially the prince, whos seems particularly delicate to handle.
I didn't know ther was a novel, but now I'm interested and will probably take a glance at it, hopefully I will find a good translation?
I understand now why I had this feeling of how much deep the intrigue was, compared to others otome-game-like webtoons.
I like how they are easy and pleasant to read, so I wad quite destabilized with the darker background, but I'm definitely hooked with her conflicted personality and the character development you can observe on the secondaries. Realistic feeling... but you can fantasize on how they foolishly fall deeper while she just rejects them, letting go of her own grievings, ah! The leash swithches sides of ownership...

Users who are viewing this thread