Villains Are Destined to Die

Even the expressions themselves... damm. The art is stunning. Also, I love it when characters are faced with how bad they effed up. It’s like a nice slap.

Double-page supporter
Honest question, despite the ratings are these villainess stories any good? And how is it different from the rest of generic otome/villainess/isekai stuff that's constantly being pushed out these days?

@0DvGate The reason why the ratings are so high is because it's sad. That's the only way I can put it. It isn't some cute romance where everyone loves the villainess, but she doesnt realize or some crap. She is constantly fighting for her survival and she just doesn't catch a break. I would give it a chance if u don't like it after around chapter 5, then drop it.

Ok, so here's my opinion/what I see from the male leads:
The Crown Prince: Some crazy bastard murderer who's killed the villainess the most. I don't know much about him to be honest because he's only actually appeared like 2-3 episodes.
The slave guy - Iklies/Eclise: The best option, although he seems a bit abnormal. I also don't know much but I'm definitely getting dangerous vibes from him.
The Magician - Vinter: I'm pretty disappointed, I was rooting for him but throughout Season 1, in my opinion he's a scumbag. I don't know how I reached that conclusion, but the second time he appeared, his actions with the female lead just felt very scummy.
Brother 1 - Derrick: I don't like him. He knows what's going on with Penelope, yet he still blames her (in the first few episodes). And I also think he stole jewelry from Penelope when she was younger, which is disgusting.
Brother 2 - Reynold? Ronald? I forgot his name: I feel like he's better than his older brother, but still. I kiiiind of get where he's coming from, since he loved Yvonne a lot, but forcing blame onto Penelope like that ticked me off a lot.

I'm not rooting for any of the male leads so far and I hope there will be some good redemption arc or something to explain their actions and stuff, because all of them either seem sus, or act like bastards. If anything, I'd probably hope for the crown prince because I don't know that much about him yet.
On a positive note, I'm excited for the next season! Kinda anticipating to see Yvonne. Most likely going to continue rereading this till Season 2 comes out because for me this plot is really original and logical.

@0DvGate: If you were asking about villainess stories in general:
its the same draw as for other reincarnated into a game / generic fantasy world stuff. A regular Jane can be main character and look like a genius because she's actually 20 years older than she looks and probably knows the future. But the villainess setting means MC can't possibly be a Mary Sue (haha), because now she starts in a disadvantaged position, the “real male lead” hates her, and her adoring tagalongs are just “side characters.” And she probably wants to avoid everything in the main story, but her main—whoops, i mean, side—character aura pulls her back in. Once you get past the wish-fulfillment-ness of this formula, they can be fun for the plotting and scheming, or the cheerful zany-ness, or both. And there a bunch of fun subversions you can do precisely because of the established formula. Of course, I may have misread your comment, and you may be familiar with the genre already.

What makes DITOEFTV different, spoilers for the prologue and ch 1; alos super long:
Our MC has lived an eerily similar life to Penelope's, but where the MC adopted passive coping mechanisms to escape, the origional Penelope adopted violent coping mechanisms to vie for attention, culminating in her becoming the villainess of the Yvonne route (easy mode). Hard mode in the fictional Otome game has the player being Penelope, but people are so sick of her that lots of innocuous choices lead to her being stabbed—sometimes she deserves it.

Pros:
-MC's only real isekai power here is the ability to calm down because of her emotional distance from the Eckhart family—she's not even a good schemer—so no OP venture capitalists!!
-she actually sucked at hard mode, so a lot of her information on the future and the capture targets’ personalities is incomplete or inaccurate
-her sense of emotional distance occasionally deserts her when she's reminded of her own life, leading to a great dynamic in which she gets to know and even mourn Penelope. In chapter 44,
she finally tells Reynold (brother 2) off—it's cathartic for original Penelope, who has hidden her weakness in a desperate bid for approval, AND for the MC who finally gets to be openly angry at this proxy for her own brother.
-not all of the love interest's favorability ratings are tied to romance, though they are hard to pin down
-game elements stay relevant instead of just being how she got there
-most characters are fleshed out, even if they seem like a stereotype at first (i.e. Reynold the tsundere)

Cons:
-some wish fulfillment will kick in in the second season if this follows the novel faithfully, but it's not bad—I've never read a web novel without some wish fulfillment involved
-Penelope is a terrible schemer, so she will have to muddle through a lot, which requires occasional plot armor
-there is no room here for zany fun—Penelope has no friends, allies, property, or protection, though she's working on it
-Penny is a little gloomier than the typical isekai protagonist—on the other hand, your typical villainess isekai protagonist is just about permanently manic
-if you don't like Penelope, no one else gets near as much screen time, so you can't read for a side character (but if you do, pick Dad!)

Verdict: The thing that sets DITOEFTV apart from other Villainess stories is the great dynamic between the original and new personalities inhabiting Penelope. Otherwise, DITO uses a lot typical Villainess tropes and subversions, but it's pretty well done.

I'm really excited for season 2. I was able to read a but in the webnovel before it was taken down

Can anyone recommend something similar where the MC is unfairly antagonized by everyone around them? I dunno about everybody else but this comic reminds me of oregairu

thank god the ML is the
crown prince
everyone else is a piece of crap

penelope going overdrive was so satisfying .... thank u for scanlating and i can't wait for season 2 ovo

Double-page supporter
@Moonbinisabby Thanks and especially @Swanwire for the well thought out answer, I did not expect that and I appreciate it thoroughly. Gonna give it a quick read now, much thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread