Vinland Saga - Ch. 209 - Thousand Year Voyage Part 18

Double-page supporter
Well... (••) Looks like Ivar got... ( ••)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) DISARMED.
I mean, I know Ulfberht swords are supposed to be legendary, but that's too OP. Critical hit on a single strike? Damn. Now they know about the riddle of steel.

Dex-chan lover
Everyone who knows even a tiny bit of North-American history knew that this was always going to be a slow-motion trainwreck.
For this to have some historical accuracy, the Inu will be successful in get rid of the nords from Vinland.

But since this manga's called "Vinland Saga", I wonder which approach the author will take.

Double-page supporter
The native Americans are both hunters and warriors... Forgetting that fact is deadly.
Plus, multiple tribes means that each group of people won't have the same way of thinking.
=> That was already the case back on their original continent, why would it be any different in this new land?
I was also reminded of the fact that North American natives were pretty well build and tall, probably due to their hunter gatherer diet? With decent European weaponries and no disease they would have made excellent mercenaries. They were definitely no strangers to conflict and fighting, with raids and conflicts necessitated the creation of the Iroquois Confederacy for instance.

Dex-chan lover
Would be interesting to see if Thorfinn comes out of his Fighting Hiatus.
Either way, I am getting a sad ending (almost like AOT) feeling for this.

I might just not be remembering correctly, but did ivar ever use the sword outside of the incident with the cheif?
Cause otherwise, it's pretty ironic that the warmonger only ever used his weapon in defence, then was beaten with it. :huh:

Dex-chan lover
I hope those dumbasses live to realize bringing and using those weapons is exactly why they got fucked up. Don't let them die feeling justified.
Only because the story is gearing you to think that way.
The plague would still have happened anyway and the chief would still have summoned warriors as a consequence.
The raid on the nords would still have happened too because those guys are clearly doing it, not out of hatred, fear or zeal, but out of boredom which is arguably worse.
And you still have the warriors that are currently chasing Thorfinn who clearly stated that they wanted the nice tools the nords are using and I don't think they are good at diplomacy.
Also they should consider themselves lucky they landed north and met the Lnu, human sacrifice was a common practice in Mesoamerica and I'm rather curious about how Thorfinn would react to those.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ivar must have been on raids against people that didn't put up effective resistance in the past... it's like he never considered that he "might not win this one" when he started down this path. Now same for the Lnu war-party. They have no idea what's going to hit them if Hilde and Thorfin decide to go all out.
Ivar probably never even raided, he just acted tough

Dex-chan lover
But seriously I wonder if Ivar is guaranteed dead from this or not? How quickly can someone bleed out from a clean below-the-elbow chopped off arm like that?
I think you can survive if you put a belt on your arm with so much force, the blood loss will slow down.
Lift your arm up, so there won't be so much blood coming through.
And that's painful a lot but burn the wounds with flames.

I think like this, you could survive that but I'm no expert.

Power Uploader
These chapters show why this all was so stupid. If Thorfin now fights it will destroy everything the arc led up to. The whole idea of the sword being a weapon needed to be removed. It does not make sense. Like sure it is a great thing but doubt the natives will find it much of a use. Like it is a tool of war without any other job.

Sigh just feel like the whole peace message could be delivered in a better way then sword bad.

Dex-chan lover
Suuuurely Thorfinn throws away his naivete and takes responsibility to defend the lives of those he lead across the sea into a ”peaceful” land?

Users who are viewing this thread