Vinland Saga - Vol. 27 Ch. 200 - Thousand Year Voyage Part 9

Dex-chan lover
Surely hunting down an elderly native will convince them she wants peace! Also kind of a short chapter. Thorfinn caught on way too fast.

Dex-chan lover
To be honest, I kinda lost faith in this series the moment the shaman managed to predict the future including world wars and atomic bombs.
With how much the series painted the vikings' religion as stupid and just a way to promote war (by the whole die in battle thing) I fully expected the shaman to just get high in his shack and see some bullshit, but nah, HIS magic actually works out just fine.
The whole series is anti-war (and hey I agree war = bad), but making the shaman's magic real and accurate and using it as a device to start a war is just stupid. What is the reason for the prediction to be true in the first place? Wouldn't it reinforce the story's themes (That theres little to no good reason to start a war) if the shaman just predicted some bullshit and that was the reason? Or if he was just paranoid, racist or some shit like that.

Dex-chan lover
I know this is supposed to be a serious chapter, but when that bolt went into the helmet and he survived, what went through my mind was that scene in Dragon Half when the gang found out Damaramu survived after taking an arrow in the head because his brain was so small the arrow missed it.

To be honest, I kinda lost faith in this series the moment the shaman managed to predict the future including world wars and atomic bombs.
With how much the series painted the vikings' religion as stupid and just a way to promote war (by the whole die in battle thing) I fully expected the shaman to just get high in his shack and see some bullshit, but nah, HIS magic actually works out just fine.
The whole series is anti-war (and hey I agree war = bad), but making the shaman's magic real and accurate and using it as a device to start a war is just stupid. What is the reason for the prediction to be true in the first place? Wouldn't it reinforce the story's themes (That theres little to no good reason to start a war) if the shaman just predicted some bullshit and that was the reason? Or if he was just paranoid, racist or some shit like that.
Pretty much the shaman's visions and Thorfinn's protag level intelligence is why the series is falling off for me. The shaman really didn't need to see the exact future. He's literally just right. Sort of weird to continue rooting for the guy who is so anti-war he has traveled across the fucking known world to find a new beginning. No matter what, Thorfinn winning at this point is just him indirectly causing the nukes to be dropped hundreds of years later I guess???

Combine that with the fact Thorfinn is literally one of the strongest people we've seen in the story, and extremely cunning throughout the entire story up until the Vinland Arc. Yet when the story requires it, he is more brain dead than Goku at the start of a new arc. How a man who has spent his life constantly fighting, surviving through slavery, etc. can somehow just believe nobody wants to start wars or bring weapons to the new world floored me. Yet, in just this chapter alone, he had the mental capacity to see Hild missing, hear something in the woods, and immediately realize she was on the hunt.

I'm happy Thorfinn isn't a perfect being and he's trying the follow his father's pacifism, but he's just so damn stupid sometimes for no reason :/

Dex-chan lover
Man, I fucking hate Ivar but he was absolutely on the right track before Hild started shooting at them.

Thanks for the chapter!

Group Leader
The settlers don't want war, the L'nu don't want war either and due this overwhelming consensus they're both going to kill each other

Dex-chan lover
Pretty much the shaman's visions and Thorfinn's protag level intelligence is why the series is falling off for me. The shaman really didn't need to see the exact future. He's literally just right. Sort of weird to continue rooting for the guy who is so anti-war he has traveled across the fucking known world to find a new beginning. No matter what, Thorfinn winning at this point is just him indirectly causing the nukes to be dropped hundreds of years later I guess???

Combine that with the fact Thorfinn is literally one of the strongest people we've seen in the story, and extremely cunning throughout the entire story up until the Vinland Arc. Yet when the story requires it, he is more brain dead than Goku at the start of a new arc. How a man who has spent his life constantly fighting, surviving through slavery, etc. can somehow just believe nobody wants to start wars or bring weapons to the new world floored me. Yet, in just this chapter alone, he had the mental capacity to see Hild missing, hear something in the woods, and immediately realize she was on the hunt.

I'm happy Thorfinn isn't a perfect being and he's trying the follow his father's pacifism, but he's just so damn stupid sometimes for no reason :/
I mean, after Thorfinn became a pacifist his IQ just went straight down. It's not a bad thing that he became a pacifist, heck it makes sense for it to happen, but he just became gullible. Like you said Thorfinn traveled to a land he didn't even knew existed far from every civilization know to him and his people just to avoid war and slavery. After everything he went through, you would think he knew how much humanity can suck ass when they want to, but nah he believes in the best in everyone... Sure...

Aggregator gang
I suppose Hild's plan is to kill the shaman lady and pretend it was accident? Or she's going to make people think that she's the enemy of both side after killing the shaman lady and then disappear?
The old shaman whose hands was cut off not the girl.

Its funny that how much it is a primitive and stupid idea to kill the reason and stop the war. As stupid as to think invading native lands and colonizing is not the actual reason. Hild is one of the dumbest characters I have ever seen in this manga.

Double-page supporter
Historically this colonization fails. But it’s manga so who knows maybe it’ll go alternate history route. Though I can’t see a nation with no war. Even canute or any other ruler would try to invade thorffin’s lands. Even pirates etc. Vikings. It just cant work out.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if Hild's "I have to find him" in regards to Miskwekepu'j potentially has other implications beyond her killing him. Because as others have stated already, Hild killing Miskwekepu'j (i.e. a Norse killing a Mi'kmaq), won't be perceived/have the same effect as Hild killing Ivar (i.e. a Norse killing a Norse). I wonder if Hild's current mental state will have her so tunnel-visioned to not recognize/realize that, or if she maybe has slightly different intentions for Miskwekepu'j? Like maybe she intends to make his death look like an accident/natural causes, or maybe she intends to threaten/intimidate (or maybe even abduct/kidnap) him into exile?

(something to remember, Miskwekepu'j isn't living with the rest of the tribe anymore)

Yes, the natives can see this assassination as just the norse tanking revenge, even more BEFORE Eyvar assassination. If she had killed him and them went after Miskwekepu'j the natives could understand what had happened.

Also, it's absurd and convenient that Hild failed to kill Eyvar. It's unacceptable that she failed. Why did she needed Eyvar to stand to kill him? The other two were immobilized, there was not danger of any type to her. She just needed to stand herself and get closer to shoot Eyvar at the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread