WataMote: No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!

@joeGP the anime is pretty cringe became it follow the first part of the manga and is full of second hand enbarrassment. But the manga became good after the field trip when she started to make friends with her classmate.

@lovina i see now, thanks, that makes sense, i'll wait until it finishes and then i'll decide if it's worth reading or not, i still have plenty left to read, for now it's in my Plan to Read list.

What most people (and most Japanese writers) don't seem to realize is that how a story ends is very important, it can make or break a story. (this last comment is totally unwarranted, i just wanted to vent, because i just finished another decent manga with a disappointing ending)

The entire vol.19 was terrible, unnecessary, empty. It's not like the manga hasn't done this before, but not SO massively...

I seriously hope it end with her entering college, WataMote doesn't deserve to be struggling like that. Author already proven that has technique to make exciting upshots, but many volumes ago he's just bullshting and fanserving.

The manga was great, but it has just been getting better ever since the school trip. seeing her make friends and live a relatively normal life after all the shit she's done, Kuroki has turned over a new leaf and is living like a proper person now. She's growing as a person even though she is completely fictional, really inspires trash such as myself to give life a try.

Dex-chan lover
@Granadora -

You're exaggerating, I think. It's been strange and patchy sometimes, but there has been a lot of good stuff happening with real narrative logic and things are going strong right now.

trust me this manga give you slow burn
after school trip the story got better
so dont stop reading this from my personal experience

I just re-watched this anime, and my fb friends advised me to continue it in the manga, and the manga really surprised me, I didn't expect that from a completely hopeless character in the anime, there would be a lot of character improvements in the manga!! thanks to the creators for giving a pleasant surprise

Group Leader
A surprisingly unique and down-to-earth slice of life. If you can relate to Tomoko Kuroki as a character, or the misfortunes that she goes through in one way or another, this manga will also be quite a sentimental callback to your high school days.
Most aspects in this manga are pretty true to life and beautifully executed, especially the characters and how they develop individually. The plot gets better overtime, and the pacing feels natural. Though what I adore about this manga is the relationship between the characters - Tomoko's and Yuri's exchange in Chapter 136 is easily one of the most wholesome and genuine interaction I have ever seen in a manga.
The manga never fails to deliver from start to a certain volume, where Tomoko pretty much got sidelined in her own manga. This in itself isn't bad, but almost all the other characters started to have their trope and quirk stereotyped to the max, just for a cheap attempt to reproduce the cringe comedy of the first chapters. An arc that lasted for about 2 years was also introduced, which ruined the general pacing of the manga, but I would say it is not that bad. Tomoko's personality doesn't do an 180 just because she has some friends. Her degeneracy is, and will always be an adored and deplorable part of her, which I found to be reflected faithfully in that arc.
Overall, WataMote is a beautiful story about a socially anxious girl finding herself some fulfillment and a purpose in life, all disguised as a cringe comedy. There are some low points, sure, but it's definitely a manga you will not regret reading.

A surprisingly unique and down-to-earth slice of life. If you can relate to Tomoko Kuroki as a character, or the misfortunes that she goes through in one way or another, this manga will also be quite a sentimental callback to your high school days.
Most aspects in this manga are pretty true to life and beautifully executed, especially the characters and how they develop individually. The plot gets better overtime, and the pacing feels natural. Though what I adore about this manga is the relationship between the characters - Tomoko's and Yuri's exchange in Chapter 136 is easily one of the most wholesome and genuine interaction I have ever seen in a manga.
The manga never fails to deliver from start to a certain volume, where Tomoko pretty much got sidelined in her own manga. This in itself isn't bad, but almost all the other characters started to have their trope and quirk stereotyped to the max, just for a cheap attempt to reproduce the cringe comedy of the first chapters. An arc that lasted for about 2 years was also introduced, which ruined the general pacing of the manga, but I would say it is not that bad. Tomoko's personality doesn't do an 180 just because she has some friends. Her degeneracy is, and will always be an adored and deplorable part of her, which I found to be reflected faithfully in that arc.
Overall, WataMote is a beautiful story about a socially anxious girl finding herself some fulfillment and a purpose in life, all disguised as a cringe comedy. There are some low points, sure, but it's definitely a manga you will not regret reading.
Thanks for the review. After i read that maybe i will try to read the manga.

G-P

Dex-chan lover
Manga was fun in the beginning, when it was just Tomoko having autistic antics, but then she starts making friends and off we go into slice of life, yuri high school boredom drama. Tomoko is still having a few moments here and there, but the focus shift to her friends having muh feels moments is just jarring. I'm happy for Tomoko, but as a reader, this is just bad. I picked this up again after, I think a year long break, read ch189-192.2 and I'm bored out of my mind again. Tanigawa Nico really need to grab a shotgun and pull this comic behind a barn.

Dex-chan lover
Manga was fun in the beginning, when it was just Tomoko having autistic antics, but then she starts making friends and off we go into slice of life, yuri high school boredom drama. Tomoko is still having a few moments here and there, but the focus shift to her friends having muh feels moments is just jarring. I'm happy for Tomoko, but as a reader, this is just bad. I picked this up again after, I think a year long break, read ch189-192.2 and I'm bored out of my mind again. Tanigawa Nico really need to grab a shotgun and pull this comic behind a barn.
Agreed. It's so sad seeing something that was so boldly unique morph itself into just another flavor of generic overabundant high school drama. Like, obviously her making friends is the direction the series should've went eventually, but that should've been how it ends. Now, it's kind of impossible to give a satisfying ending for Tomoko as a character, because she already overcame the main conflict many volumes ago.

The only hope i have for this series is that, if it just keeps going or gets a sequel, that it gets a soft reset (like she goes to college or starts working) and that Tomoko gets to be cringe and alone again.

She was more relatable when she was being cringy af. I wouldn't mind if she grew and had a couple of friends but the whole harem thing isn't working for me. It takes away what I found good about this.

She was more relatable when she was being cringy af. I wouldn't mind if she grew and had a couple of friends but the whole harem thing isn't working for me. It takes away what I found good about this.
I dropped this like 3 or 4 years ago, she has a harem now?

This manga is boring as fuck. I mean, i love that Tomoko has learn to how make frends and stuff but this was extended too much with many irrelevant sub-stories of generic SoL that for a sec you forget that Watamote was a unique manga a decade ago.
Welp, the yuribait was disappeared little by little and the duo of Mima Sachi and Koharu Minami have potential. Both are fun without Tomoko's presence alas

When will we escape the purgatory that is this school festival arc???????? Idgaf about her brother and all people people crushing on him this is boring as fuck :/ we've spent the last several chapters just on the same bench with people standing around...

Dex-chan lover
Does this story go anywhere? She turned into such a 90& normie and there are WAY TOO MANY side characters.

Users who are viewing this thread