Watashi, Idol Yamemasu - oneshot

t

Bless her.
Idol jobs are hard, especially if you don't make it.

It's similar to a lot of things in life, where you have dreams of the future and present without being able to fulfill them.
Heading straight into things and having no backup like MC is not always the best idea. I think it's important to have backup plans s.t. when things go south, you can fallback on something else and the years spent on your "ambition" will not have been for nought (from personal experience).

You will also see people caring less, have more success. For example, one idol in the oneshot was having huge success from moving to Tokyo, and probably does not work as hard as MC. It's because the truth is that hard work is not enough for success - working relatively hard is a requirement, but not enough. While I empathize with MC, I also think that she did not have what it takes to become an idol. She seems like the average bland idol that doesn't stand out in any way at all. It's not as much criticism as much as it is feedback - but why am I trying to give feedback to a fictional character in the middle of midnight?

Aggregator gang
It was a bad idea to read this at night while listening to "The Man I Used To Be" from The Count of Monte Cristo musical. God, this mad me cry.

Dex-chan lover
I think the most depressing thing about it all was that one of the reasons why she didn't make it was not because she was not good enough, but, because as his fas said, the people surrounding her, her environment, her supposed partners, didn't support her willingness to go the distance.
Hard work is not enough, you also have to be in the right place too, with the right people, someplace where your effort is appreciated and can be nurtured.

Dex-chan lover
Within moments, a muffled sound of Linkin Park's 'In The End' were heard blasting from inside of one of her fans' car as it drove away.

Dex-chan lover
God this is how it feels like everytime you found a new vtuber that has debutted for years and yet still struggling.

Contributor
I was super terrified that she went and offed herself when I saw those flower wreaths, thinking it was a funeral.
But this was a sobering tale of how not everyone who works hard and sacrifices a lot will achieve their dreams, though it also doesn't mean the experience was a complete wash.

Group Leader
@DominateManga while this oneshot isn't based in any specific person, there are countless stories like it from the idol industry.

The 2017 documentary Tokyo Idols (available on Netflix if you want to watch, it's subtitled) covers one such story of the idol Hiiragi Rio who always had a small following and no matter what she did and how well she did it she just never managed to take off and become successful. Her concerts had maybe 100 people at most and her tweets barely had any reach, and most of her concerts are tacked on to other people's concerts, they're rarely solo ones. It also talks about how at a certain point in your idol career you have to realize your biggest chance has already passed by (for Rio this was a big voice acting job she failed to get) and you're not gonna go further, because idols have an "expiration date". Even now her Twitter is devoid of much interaction and her schedule mostly empty or with small events.

Users who are viewing this thread