Watashi no Kanojo wa Otokonoko - Oneshot

I'll try to analyze this from an "objective" standpoint disregarding the social politics of this work. At times, it's pretty hard to tell who's talking about who, especially at the beginning. And for most of the story, it's less about the relationship between the two of them or even actually about exploring their identities so mich as just... throwing the concepts out there in hopes that it makes things interesting. For a few pages, it becomes an interesting story about a trans girl... except, they then make the character bigender so it kind of weasels its way out of that by making him comfortable with being a boy as well. At the end, when the two are embracing, it gets kinda cute and the "I really feel like a boy" line makes it almost matter that the character is bigender, but... I dunno, man. Kinda feels like they made it a (physically) het pairing and used the term otokonoko in the title specifically to make the whole thing more palatable to the japanese audience.

The side character who was in love with the bigender boy exists purely to be demonized even though she's basically just having a bad reaction to her worldview being challenged. It's hard for me to see her in as bad a light as the story clearly does, and from an audience perspective, she really should be the perspective character. She has an interesting conflict--a girl who has a rigid understanding of gender, yet falla in love with a crossdressing/bigender boy. She has a deep character flaw in that she can't hold back speaking poorly of people, which could be interesting to watch her work through as she comes to accept a new perspective on gender. Her rejection could serve as a turning point, and even if she ends up never getting her love requited, she'd come away from it a changed and better person.

Overall analysis: tone down the borderline-propagandistic elements and cut the page length to about half or maybe 2/3 of the current length and it could be improved, with the lower pagecount forcing the author to pace it differently and trim the fat. Either that, or make a longer story with that other girl as the protagonist. The art is appealing, so it definitely has that going for it. I'll definitely be watching this artist to see what they come up with next, even though I thought this one wasn't good. There's a lot of unrealized potential here.

If only this manga doesn't have holier that thou attitude it would be so much better, but the mangaka decided to antagonize the one who think otherwise of his/her point of view. Im all for gay and their right but im againts forcing your political point of view toward other people

Contributor
@yougogirl Miki's big issue is that she absolutely doesn't think Yuuko's worthy of Makoto's love. She's a part of the delivery of the LGBT stuff, but its not like she anything beyond ignorant. Miki probably never thought she had a chance with Makoto until that point, and the moment when she realizes that Makoto's got a "girlfriend", that's when she tries to pursue her love. Her issue with Yuuko's gender identity is small time in comparison to her overall dislike of Yuuko, but said issue is enough to turn off Makoto completely because it's a BIG DEAL to the two of them. In short she hates Yuuko because Yuuko is Yuuko, but being Yuuko is why Makoto likes Yuuko in the first place.

Yuuko as a character struggles with expressing how they feel verbally, part in partial because Yuuko doesn't see themself as either gender. Plain uncomfortable with how societal view labels Yuuko in general. Yukko's the one with the main text bubbles, with Makoto in the flashback perspective. Admittedly Makoto and Yuuko love each other because love and the practically heterosexual nature of their relationship is what would make it palatable to Japanese social norms. Definitely won't be many issues if they have kids beyond their kids dealing with the fact their dad dresses up as a female.

@Deoxyribo9 Interesting, and really again just makes me wish that Miki was the perspective character. But that might be just my love of melodramas about people being unable to filfill their loves talking.

sf

no offense, i kinda like traps.
but this kind of bullshit agender bigender calender really confuses me.
so, do yuuko have a dick or a pussy ?
need help

Contributor
considering yuuko doesnt't identify as female its interesting to see makoto use she

Contributor
Oh snap just realised Makoto looks a bit look Makoto from school days and I for one would have loved to see a school days- esque plot twist

Dex-chan lover
I read this cause I was morbidly curious.

1. What? There's three things to look after now? Sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity?

2. I don't like any of the cast, except for the black hair (boy? Girl?) Cause he/she/they/idk are the most straightforward and least triggered.

The blonde one is way too sensitive. Yeah, they're probably facing personal problems but stop lashing out on society. It's so annoying to see some random trans down the street proclaiming what pronoun they want to be labeled as. How about change your appearance so that it won't be misleading?

And the lesbian one? Idk. Stop triggering people on purpose, are you dumb? Yeah you deserve to cry all alone in public, screw you.

The characters are very one-dimensional; only consisting of single trope, such as a triggered SJW who wants to be called "they". The only way people can like this is by relating to them, and considering that only a minority do relate, I can see why the majority hates this.

Power Uploader
@Kuuga probably because in Japanese, pronouns are often omitted. Translator couldn't help but use "she", whereas in Japanese it probably stays ambiguous.

Dex-chan lover
It's interesting to see japanese authors dabbling in gender identities and sexuality, because although yes, it feels forced and ham-handed, it is also refreshing to see these concepts displayed in a manga.
Having said that, it absolutely failed as an lgbt+ manga, and just feels like a definition vomit/regurgitation.
I recommend "Shimanami Tasogare", "Hourou Musuko", and "Bokura no Hentai" as starters.
But I mean, those who want to read lgbt+ manga, probably have already read these. And the rest have already made themselves clear in this comment section.

Users who are viewing this thread