Watashi no Shounen - Vol. 9 Ch. 40 - Vestiges

Dex-chan lover
@princess_daphie thank you for your hard work. 🙌🏻 I really appreciate everything you do. 👍🏻 You worked so hard to catch up with the raws and for that, you have my utmost respect. I appreciate you, and everything you do. Thank you! 🙏🏻

Daphie and Nakain adfadjfhlkahf thank you so much for yet another beautiful chappie ♡♡ the wait was well worth it. You gave us such a professional, clean TL, as always.

I wonder what the significance of Mashuu's dad feeling like he's the only one in the house without a shadow. Like he feels like he doesn't exist, or he isn't needed? Mashuu grew up before he even noticed and I'm sure he's more than aware of how much he's not needed anymore as a father. But Mashuu gives him the sweetest response, "If I need help, I'll definitely ask you," we're given a panel with his dad's shadow (இ__இ)

Mashuu sure grew up beautifully - he's so mature and pure-hearted, it's a real wonder he doesn't resent his dad at all for neglecting him so badly??

And then when Ogata is on the bus, we get panels showing how she gained the courage to walk by his side, literally closing the distance between them. But it's pictured in reverse (இ__இ)

Dex-chan lover
This chapter.... is so peaceful. Mashuu and his father's small talk about things in the past while making dinner and we can see the daily routine of how it usually goes inside the Hayamu household; Ogata's feeling being cleared & she managed to let go (if I assume correctly) with full smile.... Many things being explained during whole chapter while not making it complicated, with peace of mind without the rush of blood to the head...
And I laugh when Mashuu dropped the bomb while shaking the plastic bag really casually, like can't you stop or put it down first before continuing with the serious talk?!! 😂😂

Thank you so much for bringing this chapter in wonderful translation!! 😳

Dex-chan lover
I know she's moving on but I reaaaaaally hope Ogata and Mashuu aren't end game. I like her. It's just the way he treats her makes me think that it will be so forced.

Dex-chan lover
Whew this was a dense chapter, I'm really starting to feel bad for Dad-kun, feeling like you don't matter and it wouldn't matter if you were gone is pretty awful, especially now that he's finally trying so hard to be a dad so i'm glad Mashuu is opening up to him and they're bonding, though i'm not sure how much of it is because he promised Satoko that he would explain things better to his dad about how she had been trying to protect him and how much is Mashuu just wanting to connect with his dad.

Rion is such a great friend, she's SUCH a good friend, i'm happy Ogata is moving on but i'm more like "i wanna see more Rion being the bestest most supportive and caring friend ever!!" So i kinda hope Ogata hasn't been written out of the story, even just for flashes of them having fun or studying.

It seems Takano-sensei has been hammering more and more but less and less subtly "IT'S NOT ROMANTIC GUYS" these last few chapters but still the audience disagrees, i mean it's her fault for making them so cute together.

Thanks for the translation as always, i'm glad nothing bad is happening to these characters and hope Dad-kun starts being thankful for Satoko taking care of Mashuu, maybe invites her over for dinner as a surprise and they all just have a nice meal talking and laughing and my heart can calm down finally oh my god

Group Leader
love reading everyone's comments! me and @iamrangerbob were very happy to bring this chapter up today! can't ever get enough of this story, i want to see a happy ending, but at the same time, i don't want it to end, haha!

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you very much. This is such a bittersweet chapter for me, because like Mashuu, there are also a lot of things I want to say to my dad, but can't. I'm really happy that he was able to take the first step. He's really grown up before our eyes... *sniff* Satoko really did save him.

"So it might be different than love"
Dunno why but despite Takano-san's assurance, I was afraid this'd go "I love Satoko/Mashuu romantically" so reading that line is a huge relief. This is a very different type of love, no? I say thankee-sai once again for translating this manga further. I'm so glad to be able to read this. I really relate to Mashuu in a way. I haven't read it and hearing the reception is preventing me but this is kinda like the opposite of Usagi Drop, no?

It breaks my heart that society and norms are what's preventing these two from developing romantic feelings

Fed-Kun's army
Mashuu being a total chad and just dropping all those bombs casually while chatting with his dad.
I do feel bad for his father, it's not easy being a father while you lost your partner and struggle with work...
I like how this never tries to label their relationship as simply a purely romantic one.

Secretly very glad Ogata is not endgame.

Dex-chan lover
And after the last page, just around the corner...

JfnpP07.png

Fed-Kun's army
Mashuu has grown into a fine young man.

At first in the series, I hated his dad, but now I understand him. He looks like he lost so much time with his boys growing up while he had to work.

And I'm glad Mashuu told him that Satoko protected him. All she ever has wanted to do was protect him.

I don't think the love between Mashuu and Satoko needs to be defined. Can't two people just care and love for each other without sexual feelings being involved? Is she is his mother, sister...who cares.

Group Leader
@starlightcitypro
I don't think the love between Mashuu and Satoko needs to be defined. Can't two people just care and love for each other without sexual feelings being involved? Is she is his mother, sister...who cares.

SO THIS! That's what I've been thinking since the beginning of this story, of their relationship, and it's cringe when someone mentions anything sexual, like oh so they won't bang? I'm like, uh, where is there any hint of that going on? Their relationship isn't about that. Who knows in the future, maybe when they can legally be that way together, but there was never a trace of intention of it to become that way.

@kengenerals
It breaks my heart that society and norms are what's preventing these two from developing romantic feelings

And at the same time, I agree with you. I would not feel this way if there had been any sign of them wanting to take the relationship to a sexual level, though, especially if it had been coming from Satoko. That's where I would draw the line. But these two? I don't see or feel that.

I believe a romantic relationship can exist without the need to take it to 18+ levels. Maybe it's because I define myself as Ace, but I know I'm not alone.

So is this ogata giving up man I always hate it when it ends with them not atleast telling them there feelings. Mashu knows but atleast want her to say it for closure for her she gave up without trying.

Also I think mashu and sakoto relationship is romantic theres been many hints especially with katoko that she wants to be viewed as a woman.

@princess_daphie a relationship doesnt have to forced in certain labels at this point they just like being with each other and dont try to think of there relationship past that.

But in same times its heavily hinted they mutually share romantic feelings that they arent aware of. Katoko didn't like her gift came from another woman and didnt like being seen as a mother. While mashup is shocked shes dated before.

Users who are viewing this thread